Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does Meditation suck?

Why does Meditation suck?

It is so unpleasant for me. Let me just say that I don't like the lotus position, nor do I partake in the whole 'mindfulness' stuff where I mentally note everything little thing that pops into my head throughout the day. I have OCD tendencies as it is and that seems to make it worse- so does counting breath or footsteps or reciting stupid mantras.

Since I like to incessantly whine, I am sure I have mentioned on this forum on numerous occasions that I have generalized anxiety and frequently suffer from sensory overload- this is the driving force behind me attempting meditation.

Now my form of it is quite simple really- it's lying down in a quiet room and calmly 'watching' my brain run wild. Really unpleasant thoughts start racing through my brain, embarrassing memories start seeping into my consciousness, my heart starts beating faster, I start sweating, and even at times drifting into panic attack mode- but I stick with it, wait for the metaphorical storm to pass, and when I open my eyes, I feel like I just woke up from a REM cycle. 15-20 minutes later I'm 'refreshed' and ready for the next 'electrical storm' that comes through and decimates my nervous system.

Anyway, meditation is usually a very unpleasant experience, and the 'restoration' I experience afterwards is short lived.

Am I doing it wrong? Do I need to follow a system? Any advice? Tips? Methods that work for you? Stories of your meditation experiences?
    Last edited by pessimist; 09-27-2014 at 07:10 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To start with, don't bother trying if you are not physically comfortable. When you get a lot better at it, physical comfort matters a lot less. WHen you are first learning how to achieve a null state, you are better off in a comfy recliner or a chaise lounge done in memory foam. In the beginning, the closer you can bring your physical sensation to 'weightless' the better, or "sensory deprivation." You can work on achieving meditative states in less relaxed positions later, when you are more accustomed to achieving meditative states. When you have an overactive brain, getting it to shut up is hard. However, sometimes it is necessary and a good idea. Meditating is exercising the 'muscle' that does just that. It can start unpleasant but mastering it will reap tremendous reward.

You're probably doing things wrong. I do it myself from time to time and find that I learn far more about it and how it works when teaching my daughter--slow process for a very, very active child.

ETA: I learned some good technique from someone named Osho and another person on this forum who's well-versed.
    Last edited by amy31416; 09-27-2014 at 07:38 PM.

I'd say the biggest error is that you calmly"watch your mind run wild". I've really found it the opposite. At least to start with you need to intensely focus your mind, not sit back and let it take you wherever it will.

The purpose of the mantras and the breath meditation is a focusing technique, it sounds like those do not work for you. I wonder if a visualization would work better.

Imagine that you are breathing into the space directly behind your navel. Breath from there, and as you breath in imagine the breath gathering in a pool in that area, and without gulping, try to inhale to the absolute maximum capacity. When you exhale, don't let it all out in a burst but try to make the exhale last ~the same amount of time as the inhale. Imagine that pool coming up and try to push every bit out that you can.

Breathe in thru your nose and out thru your mouth, and concentrate on the breathing and the filling and the emptying of the reservoir behind your belly button.

Practice that for 5 or 10 minutes a day for a few weeks and should get you in a much more restful and meditative state..
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Since I like to incessantly whine
    That might have something to do with it....
    "The Patriarch"

I had a hard time with meditation until I started taking relaxing baths about every other day. Setting the mood really helped me just let go. If baths aren't your thing try a special place where you feel calm and relaxed.

I just started doing mindfulness meditation. The instructions I'm following suggest that when your mind wanders (and it's said that it will at first), gently bring it back to focus on your breathing....think of it as training a puppy. When you're training a puppy and he wanders off, you gently bring him back.

I assume it sucks because you haven't nailed it yet. Neither have I. Got to get on that one day.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I had a hard time with meditation until I started taking relaxing baths about every other day. Setting the mood really helped me just let go. If baths aren't your thing try a special place where you feel calm and relaxed.
    You're right, it is important to have an uncluttered place where you feel relaxed. Plants help me, along with having things clean and in order--baths don't do a thing for me, I haven't taken one in years. (Yes, I shower, punks.)

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    It is so unpleasant for me.

[]

Anyway, meditation is usually a very unpleasant experience, and the 'restoration' I experience afterwards is short lived.

Am I doing it wrong? Do I need to follow a system? Any advice? Tips? Methods that work for you? Stories of your meditation experiences?
    In your special case... dose yourself with magnesium until you $#@! yourself clean. When its done with you... take a moment to find peace. If you digress, repeat process. I promise salvation

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    To start with, don't bother trying if you are not physically comfortable. When you get a lot better at it, physical comfort matters a lot less. WHen you are first learning how to achieve a null state, you are better off in a comfy recliner or a chaise lounge done in memory foam. In the beginning, the closer you can bring your physical sensation to 'weightless' the better, or "sensory deprivation." You can work on achieving meditative states in less relaxed positions later, when you are more accustomed to achieving meditative states. When you have an overactive brain, getting it to shut up is hard. However, sometimes it is necessary and a good idea. Meditating is exercising the 'muscle' that does just that. It can start unpleasant but mastering it will reap tremendous reward.

This is precisely the problem I've had since childhood- my brain doesn't have an off switch. This why I'll never be able to 'control' or 'master' it, especially when you tie in my oversensitive nervous system.
    Last edited by pessimist; 09-27-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    baths don't do a thing for me, I haven't taken one in years.
    eeeewww

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I'd say the biggest error is that you calmly"watch your mind run wild". I've really found it the opposite. At least to start with you need to intensely focus your mind, not sit back and let it take you wherever it will.

The purpose of the mantras and the breath meditation is a focusing technique, it sounds like those do not work for you. I wonder if a visualization would work better.

Imagine that you are breathing into the space directly behind your navel. Breath from there, and as you breath in imagine the breath gathering in a pool in that area, and without gulping, try to inhale to the absolute maximum capacity. When you exhale, don't let it all out in a burst but try to make the exhale last ~the same amount of time as the inhale. Imagine that pool coming up and try to push every bit out that you can.

Breathe in thru your nose and out thru your mouth, and concentrate on the breathing and the filling and the emptying of the reservoir behind your belly button.

Practice that for 5 or 10 minutes a day for a few weeks and should get you in a much more restful and meditative state..

Well I try to focus on my thoughts without any sort of attachment, and observe them as they 'run wild' and how my body is reacting. I have tried the breathing exercise before, it's just not for me. Perhaps focusing on an external object may work better? Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    You're probably doing things wrong. I do it myself from time to time and find that I learn far more about it and how it works when teaching my daughter--slow process for a very, very active child.

ETA: I learned some good technique from someone named Osho and another person on this forum who's well-versed.
    Yep. I normally have to theorize and experiment with things many times before I ever get anything 'right'.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    That might have something to do with it....
    That could be it. I'm the cast of Seinfeld rolled into the body of Jay (from Jay and Silent Bob) with a touch of Keanu Reeves in the Matrix.

God..I'm a such a basket case and probably a narcissist since I can't stop talking about myself.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    eeeewww
    Considering amypi's general awesomeness , I reckon it's safe to assume that she means she prefers showers of some sort to sitting baths rather than no bathing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Baths?

That could be it. I'm the cast of Seinfeld rolled into the body of Jay (from Jay and Silent Bob) with a touch of Keanu Reeves in the Matrix.

God..I'm a such a basket case and probably a narcissist since I can't stop talking about myself.
    No wonder you're a pessimist.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    In your special case... dose yourself with magnesium until you $#@! yourself clean. When its done with you... take a moment to find peace. If you digress, repeat process. I promise salvation

Is that your unique way of saying I am full of $#@!?

Or did this go completely over my head? I've been taking coral calcium w vitamin D3/ magnesium for a week now. It has done nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

Optimists are hopelessly naive

Considering amypi's general awesomeness , I reckon it's safe to assume that she means she prefers showers of some sort to sitting baths rather than no bathing at all.

OOOOOOOH. HB, where would we be if it weren't for you?

But isn't he interesting? I bet he's not single...

In Veryboredandignorantandsomewhatstupidland, obviously. :P

I'm able to stare off into space without thinking about anything but have never had the desire to try meditation.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I'm able to stare off into space without thinking about anything
    I envy you.

~hugs~less.

I envy you.
    +1 I have to prepare to do that with magnesium or some other soothing drink and some very mellow music to go totally blank. It's one reason I struggle with Asian kata...people who are really good at it seem to just turn most of their brains off and do it with perfect zanchin. I am always impress.

But isn't he interesting? I bet he's not single...
    If you fancy him he may make an exception for you just cuz you're green.

If you fancy him he may make an exception for you just cuz you're green.
    You forever alones are quite amusing at times. Not sure this is one of them. :/

Umm I hate to intrude on whatever weird thing you folks have going on, but would you mind not hijacking my thread? I understand I'm a noob and a little trolly but I'm genuinely interested in meditation advice here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast