Page 58 of 112 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 3352

Thread: What's for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    That's correct. The stuff originates here culturally, Belgium/The Netherlands, I won't claim to know who put the first piece of potato into hot oil but we've eaten the stuff since forever here. IDK why the fk they are called FRENCH fries.

Here in the Netherlands we have two types of fries;

"Patat" Which is our stuff, basically something like quarter inch to half inch pieces of potato.
    "Vlaamse friet" (Flemish fries, which refers to the Belgians) Which is generally more as grandma would make it...

Nothing French about it. We eat our fries with mayonnaise though... You should try that some time, with good mayonnaise, I sincerely think, having tried some of the mayonnaise available in the US that the quality or lack thereof may be a reason why not many people enjoy their fries with mayo in your country!
    Ironically most of us here get fries while dining out. When I was growing up my mom made fried potatoes but they were chopped into small squares not strips. I only like my fries with ketchup but I'll use salsa on occasion. We have a Norwegian deli here that makes awesome homemade mayo.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    My mother has eaten mayo on fries for decades. Myself I am partial to ranch dip on fries.....which is actually made with mayo, but also a bunch of other stuff.

As to the origin of "French Fries" Google tells me that back when they were invented in Belgium they were given a French name "Les Frites" (which makes sense, French is one of Belgium's three official languages) and the American name was invented later when American GI's in Europe for WW2 took the French name and just called them "French Fries."

There is evidence that France got the idea to fry potato strips from Belgium, who was already calling them by the French name "Les Frites" around 1790-1795. The French called them "Frites" and then by 1802 Thomas Jefferson referred to deep fried potato strips as “potatoes served in the French manner” during an official Presidential dinner.

The Internet seems undisputed that Belgium likely invented the things something like 1690's to 1710's and used a French name for them from early on, when France still thought potatoes gave people leprosy. The food came to France and exploded into popularity around 1790-ish, like 80 years later, and by 1802 deep fried potato strips were called “potatoes served in the French manner” during an official Presidential dinner. Nevertheless Belguim remained king of frites and America forgot about them until they discovered them again in WW2 with a bunch of Belgians feeding them "les frites."

GI's being GI's were likely all "Hey, that sounds French. (narrowing eyes) Are you French? French is better than German anyways. I'm gonna call these things French Fries" and THAT time the name stuck.

LOL Thank heavens I live in the age of the Internet. I would be driven insane from unsated curiosity had I been destined to live in a pre-tech world. :-/
    Just one more note on fries...

We don't just eat our fries with mayo. We also have them;

"Special", Which is mayo, ketchup and diced raw onion.
    "Oorlog" (war), Which is mayo, warm peanut sauce and diced raw onions.
    There are other options but if you pick anything else than mayo (which we call "Patat met" or, "Fries with.." As everyone understands what you want) people will suspect you are some kind of foreign immigrant touristy type. You can always order a "Frikandel speciaal", you will make sure people now think you are Dutch. (google them, I don't eat them but pretty much everyone I know does.)
    "I am a bird"

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

There are other options but if you pick anything else than mayo (which we call "Patat met" or, "Fries with.." As everyone understands what you want) people will suspect you are some kind of foreign immigrant touristy type. You can always order a "Frikandel speciaal", you will make sure people now think you are Dutch. (google them, I don't eat them but pretty much everyone I know does.)
    My husband is Canadian..they eat theirs with some gross poutine crap..like curdly gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    My husband is Canadian..they eat theirs with some gross poutine crap..like curdly gravy.
    Yuck! I had mine with salt and vinegar yesterday. (Those Brits aren't crazy you know, it's pretty damn tasty.) I like to eat varied so I don't always have my fries with mayo.

P.S. I JUST PLUGGED IN THE DEEP FRYER, YOU GUYS MADE ME HUNGRY. No homemade fries though. I can't beat 1,79euro for 5lbs of decent pre-fried fries.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-25-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    "I am a bird"

I had a big bowl of turnip greens for lunch and plan on going to Marlows for dinner and getting the Black and Blue burger. I was planning on giving my fries to the kids but now I want them with some mayo.

My favorite fry dip is mayo, ketchup, and Louisiana hot sauce all mixed together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

broccoli crunch "salad" made with: broccoli, bacon, walnuts and pinenuts (lightly sautéed in bacon grease), golden raisins, and a gorgonzola spread thinned with some unfiltered olive oil.

Cheese-filled ravioli, scallops scampi, and garlicky broccolini. Mom is not feeling too well so the garlic and shallots are a must, and so is the Vitamin C boost.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Cheese-filled ravioli, scallops scampi, and garlicky broccolini. Mom is not feeling too well so the garlic and shallots are a must, and so is the Vitamin C boost.
    That sounds damn good! Honey just got back from the farmers market and seafood shop. Beef fillet mignon and today's shrimp delivery it is! And a side salad.

Looks like everyone's having broccoli.

Broccoli casserole and salmon.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    My mother has eaten mayo on fries for decades. Myself I am partial to ranch dip on fries.....which is actually made with mayo, but also a bunch of other stuff.
    I hope you don't use ranch on your wings....

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I hope you don't use ranch on your wings....

They serve Ranch by the bucket in N.C. Blue cheese and wings for me only.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    They serve Ranch by the bucket in N.C. Blue cheese and wings for me only.
    I'm a chicken wing purist. Blue cheese only and it better be good.

My recipe.

1/2 mayo (for some reason Hellmans is best for this - I prefer Heinz or Dukes for everything else)
    1/2 sour cream
    lots of blue cheese crumbles

let it sit overnight and enjoy

Pork steaks on the grill rubbed with that superhot cayenne the local healthfood store sells, habanero-sweet ham-n-beans and steamed snap beans....

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Broccolini. It's broccoli's half-breed cousin.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Broccolini. It's broccoli's half-breed cousin.
    Lol, I thought that was the name of your dish, not the veg. Never heard of it but it sounds good.

I didn't have any. I had take-out shawarma because I'm pretty damn tired and therefore I decided I was too lazy to cook food for myself. Only got home at 8pm anyways.
    "I am a bird"

I didn't have any. I had take-out shawarma because I'm pretty damn tired and therefore I decided I was too lazy to cook food for myself. Only got home at 8pm anyways.
    I had to look it up but that sounds yummy!

T-bones thawing........

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meatballs with lots of gravy, grilled broccoli, fried taters w/skin on of course and apple sauce/mousse, idk whatever you call that in the US, I put apples with a bit of water and maybe some lemon or banana or kiwifruit in a pan and heat it a bit, then mash it until it turns to a nice mousse. (maybe add some cinnamon or mint or whatever depending on your mood)

Simple food, the kind of thing I grew up eating.
    "I am a bird"

I like the special.

Tonight , baked beans , potato salad and pork loins on the bbq, lots of beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	4992

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	4993

I made a bunch of pasta sauce in the crock pot with beef, italian sausage, mushrooms, etc. so I made mini pizzas too. Fresh herbs from my herb plants. I was unfortunately out of mozzarella.

Meatballs with lots of gravy, grilled broccoli, fried taters w/skin on of course and apple sauce/mousse, idk whatever you call that in the US, I put apples with a bit of water and maybe some lemon or banana or kiwifruit in a pan and heat it a bit, then mash it until it turns to a nice mousse. (maybe add some cinnamon or mint or whatever depending on your mood)

Simple food, the kind of thing I grew up eating.
    Did you..a European just say "taters"?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Did you..a European just say "taters"?

Sure. I do not care much for cultural things or general formalities. I care about people and having fun together.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine.
    Which is how I strive to live my life.
    "I am a bird"

Sure. I do not care much for cultural things or general formalities. I care about people and having fun together.

Which is how I strive to live my life.

It's cool..I just know someone who is Belgian..trying to imagine her saying taters in her accent. We use it almost jokingly here..it's an old countrified slang.

Pizza.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    homemade eggrolls and char siu

I had a spinach casserole. Nothing else. Just the spinach casserole. I ate the whole pan. It was good, too. And some milk.

Pizza.
    Another slice of pizza. It was gud.

homemade eggrolls and char siu
    Ten minutes after this post, the power went out

We went to Yummy House and I will make the eggrolls and char siu on Wednesday or Thursday.

Tomorrow is chicken enchiladas