Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO: Rand Paul Speaks at Values Voter Summit 2014

My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FRC's cut includes the introduction, which was predtty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j79mevHYA6I

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    That was his 2012 speech. Thanks for posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

+1
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Does Mr. Paul have no concerns about apartheid in Israel?
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-26-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Ugh. Speeches like these make me wonder why I support this guy. Then I get towards the end and get a glimmer of why.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Pretty good speech, but I just noticed something. Why is it that so much of the content of his speeches focus on quotes from famous people. Ronald Reagan, Mother Theresa, Thomas Payne...
    Does anyone else think he might ought to focus more on being Rand Paul? That is not intended as criticism, I am behind him, but what do y'all think?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Pretty good speech, but I just noticed something. Why is it that so much of the content of his speeches focus on quotes from famous people. Ronald Reagan, Mother Theresa, Thomas Payne...
    Does anyone else think he might ought to focus more on being Rand Paul? That is not intended as criticism, I am behind him, but what do y'all think?
    He does it to curry favor with the audience to which he is speaking. It's a way of getting them to agree with what he is saying. You wouldn't expect an attendee from the "value voters summit" to boo Reagan, Payne, or Mother Theresa, would you?

It's actually a humble way of making an argument. Instead of declaring that all these thoughts are mine and you should listen to me, he says, "hey, a lot of people you lie say some things I think are pretty smart."
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Ugh. Speeches like these make me wonder why I support this guy. Then I get towards the end and get a glimmer of why.
    What was wrong with the first part of his speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    What was wrong with the first part of his speech?

It's kind of annoying when when Rand mixes in his own personal opinion as a private citizen, into a speech as a US Senator on advocating public policy. In the same speech he goes on about US foreign policy, and keeping government out of religion, and also goes on about how "America needs to revive the hope that springs eternal from the transcendent teachings of a humble carpenter who died upon a cross." dafuq? Who wrote that line?
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    He does it to curry favor with the audience to which he is speaking. It's a way of getting them to agree with what he is saying. You wouldn't expect an attendee from the "value voters summit" to boo Reagan, Payne, or Mother Theresa, would you?
    I don't think many of them would like Paine's religious views. Yeah, I get your point.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

It's kind of annoying when when Rand mixes in his own personal opinion as a private citizen, into a speech as a US Senator on advocating public policy. In the same speech he goes on about US foreign policy, and keeping government out of religion, and also goes on about how "America needs to revive the hope that springs eternal from the transcendent teachings of a humble carpenter who died upon a cross." dafuq? Who wrote that line?
    He believes in keeping government out of religion, not religion out of government. Besides, he's not forcing his views on anyone simply by talking about his faith. It's his 1st amendment right to discuss his faith in public.

It's kind of annoying when when Rand mixes in his own personal opinion as a private citizen, into a speech as a US Senator on advocating public policy. In the same speech he goes on about US foreign policy, and keeping government out of religion, and also goes on about how "America needs to revive the hope that springs eternal from the transcendent teachings of a humble carpenter who died upon a cross."
    He wants a revival that goes beyond mere politics. 'Restore America Now'
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

He believes in keeping government out of religion, not religion out of government. Besides, he's not forcing his views on anyone simply by talking about his faith. It's his 1st amendment right to discuss his faith in public.
    I agree, but when you fail to make a distinction between when you are speaking your own personal views, versus public policy that you are willing to actually have government impose on everyone, then you are either misleading the audience, or you are advocating for keeping government in religion. In this case, it is probably the former, because it is politically expedient.

Life, Liberty, Logic

I agree, but when you fail to make a distinction between when you are speaking your own personal views, versus public policy that you are willing to actually have government impose on everyone, then you are either misleading the audience, or you are advocating for keeping government in religion. In this case, it is probably the former, because it is politically expedient.
    I don't see how the comment by Rand that you quoted had anything at all to do with "government imposing religion" on anyone.

America needs to revive the hope that springs eternal from the transcendent teachings of a humble carpenter who died upon a cross.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see how the comment by Rand that you quoted had anything at all to do with "government imposing religion" on anyone.
    It's the context. When you sprinkle stuff like that in the middle of a bunch of other statements that actually do have to do with public policy, there is a certain implication there.

Life, Liberty, Logic

I couldn't make to the end. So, it gets better after the Israel worship?
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 09-26-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Yes, I noticed that also (to the point that I could watch). I think that quoting others is seen, by some, as more credible than having your own common sense and thoughts.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Yes, I noticed that also (to the point that I could watch). I think that quoting others is seen, by some, as more credible than having your own common sense and thoughts.
    Yeah, I think it would bother me less if he was quoting less famous people than those he generally does. It comes off as hitching his wagon to big names, to me anyway.
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

It's the context. When you sprinkle stuff like that in the middle of a bunch of other statements that actually do have to do with public policy, there is a certain implication there.
    TC - It's one of those things I think where it's a lot more difficult to see if you actually agree with it. Imagine if there was another libertarian-leaning Senator, doing a speech where he covers a number of public policy points, and sprinkled among those policy points, he brings up how America needs to come back with a revival to the teachings of the Vedas, and how no secular government can claim the same motivation as Ghandi; making constant references to Hinduism, no references to any other belief systems, and not taking any care to let the audience know when he is only expressing a personal opinion? How confident would you be that this Senator would keep government out of the business of imposing religion?

Life, Liberty, Logic

TC - It's one of those things I think where it's a lot more difficult to see if you actually agree with it. Imagine if there was another libertarian-leaning Senator, doing a speech where he covers a number of public policy points, and sprinkled among those policy points, he brings up how America needs to come back with a revival to the teachings of the Vedas, and how no secular government can claim the same motivation as Ghandi; making constant references to Hinduism, no references to any other belief systems, and not taking any care to let the audience know when he is only expressing a personal opinion? How confident would you be that this Senator would keep government out of the business of imposing religion?
    That would be rather weird. I think you do have to take into account though that America is predominately a Christian nation, and the majority of the people who will be voting in the 2016 elections will be Christians. (At least in name) That's just the way it is. This isn't to say that other religions aren't allowed in America. People are free to practice any religion they choose in this country, including atheism. But I don't think you can just ignore the Judea-Christian roots that we have as a nation.

That would be rather weird. I think you do have to take into account though that America is predominately a Christian nation, and the majority of the people who will be voting in the 2016 elections will be Christians. (At least in name) That's just the way it is. This isn't to say that other religions aren't allowed in America. People are free to practice any religion they choose in this country, including atheism. But I don't think you can just ignore the Judea-Christian roots that we have as a nation.
    Yes, certainly can't ignore it if you want to win an election. I'm not saying it's not good politically. But just because "Judeo-Christian roots" are a big part of our nation's history, does not mean that it will always be predominantly Judeo-Christian. The system has to still be able to work regardless of which religion happens to be in the majority. That's exactly how it was designed.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Absolutely agree with you.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    I couldn't make to the end. So, it gets better after the Israel worship?
    How could it not?

Maybe you're not aware the audience he's speaking to. He is talking about himself and his religion because that is what is important to the people who were there. He addressed the issues important to them, because they came to hear what he believes about what is important to themselves, not what is important to other people.

I didn't know this opinion existed in the world, and I don't understand it. Quotes bolster credibility and are interesting IMO.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Randal @ 16:59 shows just how comfortable he has gotten and can charm off the cuff. Start @16:35 for context.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post

I didn't know this opinion existed in the world, and I don't understand it. Quotes bolster credibility and are interesting IMO.

Rand quoted Bastiat and went through the Seen vs the Unseen with McConnell during the health care debate last year and I thought it was really great. Those kind of little quotes and examples convinced me that he knows his stuff.

The audience cheering for Israel made me nauseous. I understand the religious pandering $#@!, but it's definitely uncomfortable to watch.

So many of you want to change the Republican Party from within. I am of one who wants to bolt and take the Liberty message to the Independent Party which has really no message, no platform, no leaders. It could be ours!

With that said, this is the speech you have to give to social conservatives if you want to win the Republican nomination. It was a good speech but nothing mind blowing. Rand unlike his father is doing what needs to be done to pave a way to the WH which includes his most recent trip to CA silicon valley area. It's how you win within the system - expanding your network, rubbing shoulders, building coalitions, etc.

For those anti-semantics in here, Israel isn't going anywhere.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast