Thread: U.S. mass shootings on the rise, FBI says

U.S. mass shootings on the rise, FBI says

As police in the Bay Area and across the nation seek to curb mass shootings, they face a central challenge: Gunmen often act too quickly for law enforcement officers to respond.

An FBI study of “active shooter incidents” released Wednesday found not only that the U.S. has seen a spike in such attacks over the past seven years, but that most of the incidents ended within minutes and before police could arrive.

The FBI report documented 160 shootings in the U.S. between 2000 and 2013, which killed 486 people and wounded 557 more. Seventy percent of the cases in which the duration of the shooting could be determined were over within five minutes.

More than half ended at the shooter’s discretion — mostly when he fled or took his own life — while unarmed civilians stepped in and took down gunmen 13 percent of the time, according to the report.

“Even when law enforcement was present or able to respond within minutes, civilians often had to make life and death decisions, and, therefore, should be engaged in training and discussions on decisions they may face,” the report’s authors concluded.

The report defined mass shootings as situations featuring “individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in populated areas,” such as the April 2012 rampage at Oikos University in Oakland, where a former student killed seven people.

The gunman, One Goh, as was typical in the incidents, shot his victims and left the scene within five minutes, before police arrived. He soon turned himself in.

Violence related to drug and gang disputes was excluded from the FBI study.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...se-5778587.php
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    — while unarmed civilians stepped in and took down gunmen 13 percent of the time, according to the report.
    Armed civilians could up that percentage considerably if the laws would just allow it.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Edit: The information I posted had more to with serial murder than mass murder, but I'd still be interested to know their definition and if it changed.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 09-24-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I have a feeling this has something to do with the 40 ISIS members currently in America as discussed in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ing-from-Syria

Fking ISIS, we gotta treat them like Pokemon and catch them all!! DAMN YOU ISIS!!

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Armed civilians could up that percentage considerably if the laws would just allow it.
    Yeah, seems they are just now discovering, when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Interesting timing of this article.

Notice anything?
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...#disablemobile
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

As police in the Bay Area and across the nation seek to curb mass shootings, they face a central challenge: Gunmen often act too quickly for law enforcement officers to respond.
    Shocking insight there. Muggers, burglars and rapists are also acting too quickly for law enforcement officers to respond. Amazing how that works.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Shocking insight there. Muggers, burglars and rapists are also acting too quickly for law enforcement officers to respond. Amazing how that works.
    Don't forget those damn pot smokers!

Those scofflaws are prone to toking up at any given moment...

Think of the children! The police are severely understaffed and need better equipment and more pay in order to protect the poor children..

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "U.S. mass shootings on the rise, FBI says"

Yeah by law enforcement.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

In other news, me eating Indian curries is on the rise. After months of having one per week, last week I had two.

What constitutes "mass shooting" was not so just a year or 2 ago.

Notice how there's no inflation either... If they were as creative with their approach to the solution as they with manipulating the numbers (perception), we'd have less shootings altogether. To me, the solution involves a firearm. A school principal is more effective in her charge when she is armed with a firearm.

Holder has a terrible legacy, and I believe he should stand trial for much of it, and be punished accordingly.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Must be, law enforcement broke it's crystal ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    I suspect that they already do.

A "mass shooting" doesn't occur if the shooter is disabled, killed or disarmed by an armed citizen before it happens.

This week, the FBI released a report that claimed to show a significant increase in “active shooter” incidents over the last 10 years.

The report did not claim to show an increase in mass shooting incidents. Yet that’s how it was widely reported.

Over at Reason, Jesse Walker consulted two academics who study mass shootings, Grant Duwe at the Minnesota Department of Corrections, and James Alan Fox, a criminology professor at Northeastern University.

Both say the FBI report is a helpful contribution to the discussion, but also insist that it does not show what the media claim it shows.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...41#post5657541

relevant bump