Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75% Quieter Hollow Point 22LR

75% Quieter Hollow Point 22LR

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx

70- to 75-percent noise reduction, compared to standard velocity ammo.
    CHECK OUT THIS EXCITING NEW PRODUCT

As always, we bring you the finest, most advanced and diverse lineup of rimfire products available. This year, we're giving shooters who use suppressed firearms a new hollow-point option that optimizes performance while further reducing noise. Thanks for shooting CCI®.
    CCI® Suppressor 22 Long Rifle

Whether it's plinking or small game hunting, shooters can get the most from suppressed 22-caliber firearms with new CCI Suppressor ammunition. The specialized load produces a subsonic velocity that further reduces noise, yet the hollow-point bullet design expands reliably for excellent terminal performance. CCI Suppressor cycles consistently through semiautomatic firearms, and its clean-burning powders minimize blow-back and ease firearm cleaning.
    FEATURES & BENEFITS
    • Subsonic velocity of 970 fps minimizes sound signature through suppressed firearms
    • Hollow-point bullet consistently expands at low velocities
    • Excellent accuracy
    • Consistent function in semiautomatic firearms
    • Clean-burning powders

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NOw to find it.....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

How many folks have a suppressed 22lr firearm? I thought it costs a lot of money to have permission to use a suppressor.

70-75% noise reduction compared to standard velocity ammo.

But how does it compare to other subsonic .22LR ammo? It's not like subsonic is a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    70-75% noise reduction compared to standard velocity ammo.

But how does it compare to other subsonic .22LR ammo? It's not like subsonic is a new thing.
    It is new to Michigan. Suppressors were only recently legalized here.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    How many folks have a suppressed 22lr firearm? I thought it costs a lot of money to have permission to use a suppressor.
    $200.oo Tax Stamp.
    (plus red tape)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It is new to Michigan. Suppressors were only recently legalized here.
    But .22LR ammo that fires at subsonic speeds was still legal even if suppressors weren't. Right?

$200.oo Tax Stamp.
    (plus red tape)
    So why would anybody get one for a 22lr rather than a larger caliber rifle?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know someone who has one. He's really into guns and probably has suppressors for multiple calibers. But the .22LR is the only one I've seen him use.

It depends on your context.

If you live in a populated area where you're not allowed to shoot a gun on your property to kill a varmint but you want to be able to do it anyway, a .22LR with a suppressor with subsonic ammo might be something you'd want.

Another reason might be if you really place a premium on quietness. A suppressed 22 with subsonic ammo is extremely quiet. I haven't experienced the comparison firsthand, but I understand more powerful ammunition is still fairly loud with a suppressor.

Pest control? Small game. Target plinking.
    .22lr is an excellent round. Widely unappreciated. (except by those that appreciate it)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

But .22LR ammo that fires at subsonic speeds was still legal even if suppressors weren't. Right?
    I have never seen it on a shelf. It may be available.. but suppressors were not an option here till very recently so subsonic ammo would be of little use to anyone.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

From your link:
    CCI Suppressor rimfire ammo is very similar to CCI Quiet ammo, except the Suppressor ammo is loaded with a hunting bullet, while CCI Quiet is intended for target shooting.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/new-...#ixzz3EI28kSwN
    I own several thousand rounds of CCI Quiet.I love CCI,my favorite round is CCI standard velocity,also subsonic,unless you wanna go to something that cost 2 or 3 times as much.

But there is no way that CCI Quiet is 70-75% quieter than other standard velocity ammo,don't know about CCI Suppressor,but they sound like the same round other than the bullet.

It also won't cycle most of my semi-auto 22's,so there's that.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

I have never seen it on a shelf. It may be available.. but suppressors were not an option here till very recently so subsonic ammo would be of little use to anyone.
    Subsonic .22LR is all I will buy,it is much more accurate than high velocity .22LR because it never breaks the sound barrier twice,once at the muzzle and once more downrange and it is available everywhere from every manufacturer.

All expensive target .22LR ammo used in competition is subsonic and the difference in energy for hunting at ranges less than 100 yards on game or vermin that you would normally take with a .22 is negligible.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    From your link:

I own several thousand rounds of CCI Quiet.I love CCI,my favorite round is CCI standard velocity,also subsonic,unless you wanna go to something that cost 2 or 3 times as much.

But there is no way that CCI Quiet is 70-75% quieter than other standard velocity ammo,don't know about CCI Suppressor,but they sound like the same round other than the bullet.

It also won't cycle most of my semi-auto 22's,so there's that.
    I assume it means 75% quieter when using a suppressor, since the suppressor doesn't stop the hypersonic bullets from making their own sonic booms. The sound made by the charge would have to be close to the same.

Interesting info on the deadliest non-military ammo caliber. Thanks!

I thought that part of the subsonic thing was traceability to the source.

If you experience the sound of a bullet flying by (or through the woods) and then hear the report it is easier to locate the source of the bullets position.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If ya' want to shoot cheap/quiet .22 go air..

Edit for .25

Last edited by tod evans; 09-25-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Are the Eley .22 LR , Olympic , Club and Target ammo sub sonic?

I think what they are touting here is a subsonic round with a hollow point that expands at low velocity. Certainly subsonic .22 ammo is nothing new.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

When you positively absolutely require quieter .22 cal mob hits.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    I thought that part of the subsonic thing was traceability to the source.

If you experience the sound of a bullet flying by (or through the woods) and then hear the report it is easier to locate the source of the bullets position.
    The muzzle blast and the "sonic boom" of a supersonic bullet are two different things. The muzzle blast, which can be managed with a supressor, emanates from the release of gas at the muzzle and will help locate the gun as you suggest. The sonic boom follows the bullet just like it does a jet aircraft so it really doesn't point to the gun so much. If you ever work the target pit in a long-range high-power rifle match, you will experience the sonic crack of the bullets passing over your head separately from the muzzle blast coming from the firing line. A supressor doesn't help with the sonic boom so you need subsonic ammo if you want ultimate noise reduction.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

For those who hunt with .22LR, you may find these two links will gel tests useful.

http://lofigunandgame.com/the-venera...bsonic-rounds/

http://lofigunandgame.com/the-venera...locity-rounds/

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

You do not understand subsonic ammo. I shoot it almost exclusively, and out of a normal cheap unmodified 22 rifle, without a silencer.
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-26-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Lots of companies manufacture subsonic, don't know about those. It should say if it is on the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As far as I know,all Eley .22LR is subsonic.Midway is a good site for checking ammo stats because they list all ammo they carry,even if it is out of stock and include muzzle velocity and foot lbs/energy in their stats.

They list 10 Eley .22LR and they are all subsonic.The speed of sound is ~1130 fps.If you just want to check one or two particular brands,select them on the left.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=16327

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    As far as I know,all Eley .22LR is subsonic.Midway is a good site for checking ammo stats because they list all ammo they carry,even if it is out of stock and include muzzle velocity and foot lbs/energy in their stats.

They list 10 Eley .22LR and they are all subsonic.The speed of sound is ~1130 fps.If you just want to check one or two particular brands,select them on the left.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...ensionid=16327
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Lots of companies manufacture subsonic, don't know about those. It should say if it is on the box.
    It is all made in the UK , has about zero info on the box , but I have some because it was all I could find for a time.

It is all made in the UK , has about zero info on the box , but I have some because it was all I could find for a time.
    Starting to come back from what I've been hearing.

Cabela's and Bass Pro reportedly put out at nine in morning having everything ranging from fifty round CCI, 225 Golden Bullets, on up to 1,000 round M 22s.

If there's one in the area I'd check them out. I've been hearing good things about the .22 ammunition situation though it is still sometimes difficult to come by.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

There are a lot of them out there. The cost it $200 for the tax stamp and the cost of the can, which can get pricey depending on the manufacturer.

What is interesting is that the turn-around times have actually been going down. We are getting reports of people now getting their approvals in as little as 5 months, as opposed to 14-18. We are speculating that ATF is SO swamped with applications that they were pretty well forced to do something about it. Apparently they have tens or hundreds of thousands of forms on their desks. People are gearing up.

We have several .22 cans and they are very much worth the money for pistols, IMO. I have a MarkIII Ruger with a bull barrel and it is ungodly loud. Our .22 conversion for the SIG is also loud... until the can goes on. Quiet as a whisper. Basically the only noise is that of the mechanism cycling, and maybe the sound of a flea farting.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I understand more powerful ammunition is still fairly loud with a suppressor.
    Depends on how one defines "fairly loud".

We just put together a .308 AR10 with a 10" barrel. You would not believe the thunder and fire that issues from that muzzle. It is literally stunning. The blast wave puts your hair back. With the can on it, it is very much quieter but still tough on the ears.

OTOH, rifles in 300BLK, 300 whisper, and 338 Spectre with a can may be shot with no hearing protection. They are very low-noise and they are a lot of fun. Giggle guns.

For any given cartridge and load, barrel length will have a good word on how effective a given can will be at attenuating the noise signature.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast