Thread: Push to tax online sales heats up

Thumbs down Push to tax online sales heats up

Push to tax online sales heats up
    By LAURA MYERS
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/busines...ne-sales-heats

Here is part of the article. According to a survey, the vast majority of the people in NV want everything bought online to be taxed. I was shocked when I saw that. I figured a lot of the people that moved to NV, moved there because they like that NV has low taxes. But almost all of them want to increase taxes on individuals, even poor people? I'm not sure if those survey results are accurate.

States also are losing sales tax revenue, from $200 million to $680 million per year in Nevada, according to 2012 estimates.

But that may soon change.

Lawmakers in Washington and in Carson City are pushing this year for passage of the federal Marketplace Fairness Act, which would require online sellers to collect state sales taxes. The proposed legislation will be considered during the lame-duck session of Congress following the Nov. 4 election, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Thursday.

“We have to do something about market*place fairness,” Reid told reporters as he listed his top lame-duck priorities. “That is long, long overdue. And we’re going to have to have whatever it takes to get that done.”

Republican state Senate Minority Leader Michael Roberson, R-Las Vegas, on Thursday told the Review-Journal editorial board that the Marketplace Fairness Act has bipartisan support in the Nevada Legislature, partly because it would level the playing field for storefronts and because the state needs all the sales tax revenue it can get.

GOP Gov. Brian Sandoval has been pressing the issue for the past couple of years, too. In 2012, he announced an agreement with Internet giant Amazon.com to let the state start collecting sales taxes on the company’s sales to Nevada customers beginning this year. Amazon also supports the federal legislation.

“The only way to completely resolve this issue is for Congress to enact legislation that, within a simplified nationwide framework, grants states the right to require collection by all sellers,” Sandoval said at the time. “We thank Amazon for creating jobs and investment in Nevada and are very grateful the company is working with us on a federal solution.”

Amazon has a distribution center in Fernley in Northern Nevada. It also owns Zappos, the Las Vegas-based online shoe and clothing retailer.

A majority of Nevadans support the idea of paying sales taxes when they buy goods online, according to a new poll commissioned by the International Council of Shopping Centers.

Asked their views on having “online-only vendors collect sales tax at the time of sale,” 64 percent said they supported it, 26 percent did not support it, and 10 percent said they didn’t know, according to the survey. Some 75 percent of Nevadans agreed it would be easier to collect sales taxes that way.

The poll also showed that 53 percent of Nevadans were unaware they’re supposed to pay state sales taxes on online purchases.

The poll conducted by Opinion Research Corp. surveyed 267 adults, both registered and nonregistered Nevada voters, by land-line and cellphone Aug. 22-28. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 6.2 percentage points.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Push to tax online sales heats up
    By LAURA MYERS
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/busines...ne-sales-heats

Here is part of the article. According to a survey, the vast majority of the people in NV want everything bought online to be taxed. I was shocked when I saw that. I figured a lot of the people that moved to NV, moved there because they like that NV has low taxes. But almost all of them want to increase taxes on individuals, even poor people? I'm not sure if those survey results are accurate.

surveyed 267 adults

LOL
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

“We have to do something about market*place fairness,” Reid told reporters as he listed his top lame-duck priorities. “That is long, long overdue. And we’re going to have to have whatever it takes to get that done.”
    Long overdue? Yeah, since Harry was a child...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61Z7ydak9LL.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	3124
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I save hundreds of dollars by ordering online whenever I do order online. I saved about 200 dollars ordering my guns online a long time ago.