Thread: Rand Paul opens Bay Area office to reach Silicon Valley

Rand Paul opens Bay Area office to reach Silicon Valley

Rand Paul opens Bay Area office to reach Silicon Valley

By Julian Hattem - 09/22/14 08:58 AM EDT

Ahead of what seems to be an increasingly likely presidential run, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) will soon open an office in the San Francisco Bay Area, he said.

The Kentucky senator told The San Francisco Chronicle in an interview on Saturday that his team was “in the process of” opening the office, which would be a way to stay in touch with many of Paul's wealthy and libertarian-minded potential supporters in Silicon Valley.

"There's a lot of smart people in Silicon Valley, and we want to use their brains to figure out how to win,” he told the newspaper.

"Well, for the party, winning nationally," he added to clarify what, specifically, he wanted to win. "My goal for the past year has been to try to widen the party message and make the party big enough to win nationally."

Paul has come to the region “fairly often,” he added and has made no secret that he has drawn support from some in Silicon Valley, where his criticism of surveillance and big government has resounded.

read more:
    http://thehill.com/policy/technology...-valley-office

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Notice the spin between what is in quotes and what is not in quotes:
    The Kentucky senator told The San Francisco Chronicle in an interview on Saturday that his team was “in the process of” opening the office, which would be a way to stay in touch with many of Paul's wealthy and libertarian-minded potential supporters in Silicon Valley.
    ^not in quotes. ooh wealthy elitists!
    "There's a lot of smart people in Silicon Valley, and we want to use their brains to figure out how to win,” he told the newspaper.
    ^in quotes, smart people and we want to use their brains.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Notice the spin between what is in quotes and what is not in quotes:

^not in quotes. ooh wealthy elitists!

^in quotes, smart people and we want to use their brains.
    So are you saying Rand isnt trying to reach out to wealthy and libertarian-minded people there?
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    So are you saying Rand isnt trying to reach out to wealthy and libertarian-minded people there?
    I'm sure they wouldn't kick them out the door. But the quote is misleading. I starts with, "The Kentucky senator told The San Francisco Chronicle in an interview " misleading the reader into thinking what they are about to say is actually what he said. BUT the only part in that sentence that is in quotes is "in the process of".

As far as I can tell from that bit, Randal didnt' talk about their money or their ideologies. He praised the people of the area on their smarts. Its deliberately misleading. And I believe Randal. There are a lot more smart people in that industry that he can attract than there are rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm sure they wouldn't kick them out the door. But the quote is misleading. I starts with, "The Kentucky senator told The San Francisco Chronicle in an interview " misleading the reader into thinking what they are about to say is actually what he said. BUT the only part in that sentence that is in quotes is "in the process of".

As far as I can tell from that bit, Randal didnt' talk about their money or their ideologies. He praised the people of the area on their smarts. Its deliberately misleading. And I believe Randal. There are a lot more smart people in that industry that he can attract than there are rich people.
    It's an attribution.

The Hill is parroting what the San Fran Chronicle wrote. The "told" is standard newsspeak and not misleading in itself... youd have to read the original article to know for sure if this article was biased.

There is nothing misleading because direct quotes are in quotes... as you stated.

I wonder if his office is taking any volunteers? I'm in the bay and I'd love to volunteer for the weekends or something. I want front row seats for the 2016 rEVOLution! Hopefully they have a need for a web developer/designer!
    Last edited by twomp; 09-23-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Nice . . .
    Rand shows the GOP that he puts California into play for the GOP
    the Kentucky Senator also shows he wins in Ohio - unlike an ex- Massachusetts Governor . . . and we takin, well

maybe a campaign song . . . Hillary do you know what is a . . . Landslide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yY4bNCx9TY

I want him to open up more offices and get this party started.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I want him to open up more offices and get this party started.
    In a very real sense alot of us agree . . .
    the official filing with the Federal Election Commission will have to be in spring - several months away.

But . . .
    alot more grassroots organizing gets done with setting this up now - the sooner the better
    an office in Santa Barbara for UCSB/Ventura County and in Orange County to cover both San Diego -Oceanside/Camp Pendeleton - and LA County

Let it be known to everyone in the GOP establishment and everyone voting in the New Hampshire primary and on . . .

this Kentucky senator doctor guy thinks he can get California - not the establishment GOP late primary -
    but the whole enchilada - in the general election.

California could accept Rand as a 'second' favorite son . . .

Rand is gonna strike a chord with some hispanics, some woman, some military
    and this is the groundwork stuff - he'd have alot of California libertarian fiscal conservatives, university proffessors,
    and students, and the folks visiting Disneyland and Magic Mountain from across the USA get the exposure . . .

I can see some of 'em sayin' -
    "damn it that Kentucky doctor from Bowling Green has got California's electoral college prize really in play."

Last edited by extortion17; 09-25-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Rand is pro life - that is a tough one to get past in Cali if I understand correctly.
    I still count Cali as hopeless - but setting up shop there and trying to win is a great thing. It would also be good if he had a relationship with the sylicon folks to help with the technology and internet side of the campaign.

Nothing to lose by setting up an office but I think winning the state in the general is a little too optimistic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
    Rand is pro life - that is a tough one to get past in Cali if I understand correctly.
    I still count Cali as hopeless - but setting up shop there and trying to win is a great thing. It would also be good if he had a relationship with the sylicon folks to help with the technology and internet side of the campaign.

Nothing to lose by setting up an office but I think winning the state in the general is a little too optimistic for me.
    Pro-life v. pro-choice is NOT the issue that decides the American presidency though - Califiornia is NOT dumb . . .
    go viral with this my buddies and gals at UCSB . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqAFjTLDjx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fE3T12G9gk

Last edited by extortion17; 09-25-2014 at 07:04 AM.

2016 is shaping into one hell of a presidential election cycle. I'm rooting for Rand to at least TAKE AWAY some leverage in California, winning in a general, I'm not completely sold on that as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    I wonder if his office is taking any volunteers? I'm in the bay and I'd love to volunteer for the weekends or something. I want front row seats for the 2016 rEVOLution! Hopefully they have a need for a web developer/designer!
    Me too. I'd love to take a week off and visit the bay area to hack code.