Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Carson on 2016: ‘Likelihood is strong’

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Ben Caron, the anti-gun birther, will be 2016's Herman Cain.
    There are a lot of prominent republicans that are far more "anti-gun" than Dr. Carson. He's not for any restrictions in general but could see some cities being allowed at least some kind of restriction. That would mean no BATF because the BATF is to enforce federal gun bans. Did George W. Bush abolish the BATF? As for Ben Carson being a birther....reference? I know Rand Paul once said the issue of Obama's birth certificate was unsettled so if anyone is a birther.....
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    His support is entirely confined to the tea party. He has no cross-appeal to the rest of the GOP, or outside of the party at all. If Carson runs, his goal will be to set himself up for writing another book, not winning the presidency.
    If Carson runs his goal will be to inject his ideas into national politics the same as Ron Paul's goal was at least initially in 2008. Paul was as surprised as anyone that his movement gained traction. Ben Carson doesn't have to run for president to write and sell books. He's got several already that are selling pretty well. In fact if anything he has hurt his marketability because some people on the left now hate him. "He criticized Obama! He doesn't support universal healthcare. How dare he?" And I saw that reaction from other black Seventh Day Adventists. If this is a publicity stunt then it's already a net loss for him. And now he's being questioned about his views on gays. So another group that wasn't aware of those views before now won't be buying his books. He's already lost out on speaking engagements for coming out of the woodwork on politics. He's in for a rough ride. Seriously there's no way in hell I'd run for president if I was him. But I'm not.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpfocus View Post
    Exactly. His candidacy would be a complete waste of time, money and energy. He has ZERO chance of winning the Republican nomination. And Carson in a debate with seasoned politicians? He'd get destroyed.
    That depends on the definition of "destroyed". I think Ron handled himself pretty well in the debates but his electability was destroyed by his honesty. (Hint...conservative Christians booing Ron for quoting Jesus.) But that honesty will help Rand. When Ben Carson says "I wouldn't have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan" Rand can say "Well at least I would have gone into Afghanistan" and thus appear more "moderate".

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Apparently you missed all the threads about the state conventions this year. EVERY state had a "Run Ben Run" booth at their GOP convention. Please don't consider me inept at party politics. I'm heavily involved in my state, and not as a Libertarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/RunBenRun.org
    http://www.runbenrun.org

There is a National Draft Ben Carson movement. People in my local party are talking about him. A structure is being built for him as of right now. He could win Iowa. I would not count him out. 183,000+ likes on Facebook is nothing to ignore.
    Hmmmmm....okay. I'm actually shocked. (I'm not being sarcastic). Do these people know he's antiwar? Will they care when they find out? Is the GOP really (finally) ready for common sense on foreign policy? Or did simply having the cojones to come out against Obamacare right in front of Obama (but in a jovial way) really have that much of an effect?

Interesting. Next question, would a candidate Carson actually surround himself with competent campaign staff, or would this groundswell be as unorganized as what we had in 2008? If I see a bunch of homemade "Ben Carson 2016" signs all over the place I'm going to laugh myself silly.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    That depends on the definition of "destroyed". I think Ron handled himself pretty well in the debates but his electability was destroyed by his honesty. (Hint...conservative Christians booing Ron for quoting Jesus.) But that honesty will help Rand. When Ben Carson says "I wouldn't have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan" Rand can say "Well at least I would have gone into Afghanistan" and thus appear more "moderate".
    I mean destroyed in a debate. I would expect a career politician like Ron Paul to do well in a debate. Ben Carson on the other hand, I'm not sure his positions are fleshed out enough to debate well with career politicians. Just a matter of time before he'd get tripped up and wind up looking bad. Regardless, I'm in the vote for who you want camp - I wrote in Ron Paul last election, and if Gary Johnson runs on the Lib ticket in 2016 it's likely I'll do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    No. At worst he'll be a distraction. At best, he'll hand over a nice base of support to Rand at the right time, including email lists and other fundraising capabilities.

For Carson, it wouldn't be about winning the nomination. I'm sure he recognizes reality. But it could garner him more lucrative book deals. Aside from the personal benefits, however, I think it will provide Carson a bigger platform to discuss the problems with government interference in the markets. He could make a real difference to people who wouldn't be able to hear it from Rand's mouth. And it will play right into Rand's strategy.

Plus, he'd make one heck of a Surgeon General!
    Hmmmm...zero chance of winning....distraction....sounds like what I heard about Ron Paul. Yes Ron did already have political experience. Rand has it now. If I was advising Carson I would tell him to run for some smaller office first. But I'm not that close to him. (I've really only seen him at a distance, but I know people who know him personally.) But while he would be a "distraction" I see it as one that helps us. Anyway, his running is entirely up to himself and his wife. I wish him the best whatever he does.

He should run for congress. He'd probably win even if it wasn't a red district.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    He's the biggest threat, imo.
    No, Huckabee is the biggest threat. Carson will compete over evangelicals with Huckabee and Santorum. This could likely help Rand.

Huck and frothy? Come on they are not serious candidates. Neither will ever be potus.

The real question is, who is going to go to Washington with a goal to bring more liberty to the country?

Ron Paul obviously had that goal, and the integrity to not be coerced by the establishment.

Rand Pau seems tol has decided his best shot to move the needle is to be a bit less rigid than his father. Time will tell if this is effective or not but I at least trust that Rand's goal is to try to score wins for liberty and not just line his pockets.

Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, and Walter Jones have me convinced of this as well.

All have different approaches, some are more hard-line than others, but I know where their loyalty lies and it's to liberty and to the country.

The question for Carson -- and I don't know how he can convince me, to be fair -- is will he be loyal to those goals, or is he corrupt/corruptible?

I like Carson a lot, but unless he convinces me of the above, I view any advances he makes as more a threat than a help.

I do like him though, and if he can be trusted -- and that's the biggest IF in my opinion -- he has some serious potential, being a doctor/neurosurgeon and being black (because, sadly, so many people would vote for him simply because he's black).

He also, like Ron Paul, comes across as very genuine/honest. Whether he actually is or not, is a different question, but it's a noteworthy quality.
    Last edited by economics102; 09-23-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Huck and frothy? Come on they are not serious candidates. Neither will ever be potus.
    Mike Huckabee won the 2008 Iowa straw poll and came in 3rd nationally in the GOP primary process for popular votes and second in the delegate count. While we won the Iowa delegates in 2012, Santorum stole the headlines by winning the straw poll. Either Santorum or Huckabee (or both) could cost Rand especially early on. Neither should be underestimated. This isn't an issue of who ultimately becomes president. It's who's a factor in the primary process and why.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    The real question is, who is going to go to Washington with a goal to bring more liberty to the country?

Ron Paul obviously had that goal, and the integrity to not be coerced by the establishment.

Rand Pau seems tol has decided his best shot to move the needle is to be a bit less rigid than his father. Time will tell if this is effective or not but I at least trust that Rand's goal is to try to score wins for liberty and not just line his pockets.

Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, and Walter Jones have me convinced of this as well.

All have different approaches, some are more hard-line than others, but I know where their loyalty lies and it's to liberty and to the country.

The question for Carson -- and I don't know how he can convince me, to be fair -- is will he be loyal to those goals, or is he corrupt/corruptible?

I like Carson a lot, but unless he convinces me of the above, I view any advances he makes as more a threat than a help.

I do like him though, and if he can be trusted -- and that's the biggest IF in my opinion -- he has some serious potential, being a doctor/neurosurgeon and being black (because, sadly, so many people would vote for him simply because he's black).

He also, like Ron Paul, comes across as very genuine/honest. Whether he actually is or not, is a different question, but it's a noteworthy quality.
    I am certain that Ben Carson is not corruptible. And I'm equally certain that this means he can't possibly become POTUS.

I am certain that Ben Carson is not corruptible. And I'm equally certain that this means he can't possibly become POTUS.
    If he's not corruptible, he truly could be a help to Rand though. Unlike Gary Johnson, Carson could deliver an audience that isn't already in Rand's pocket. One of the problems with Gary Johnson was he didn't really bring a new audience to the table beyond Ron Paul. His only major distinction in policy was being pro-choice, but obviously if that's the only reason you're pro-Johnson, switching to Ron Paul, who is pro-life, is probably not in the cards.

And as with Johnson, it really does help to have two pro-liberty voices on stage in the debates. The problem with Johnson was Ron Paul didn't benefit much from that because Johnson was shut out of the debates pretty early on.

I don't get why Carson would run if he likes Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    If he's not corruptible, he truly could be a help to Rand though. Unlike Gary Johnson, Carson could deliver an audience that isn't already in Rand's pocket. One of the problems with Gary Johnson was he didn't really bring a new audience to the table beyond Ron Paul. His only major distinction in policy was being pro-choice, but obviously if that's the only reason you're pro-Johnson, switching to Ron Paul, who is pro-life, is probably not in the cards.

And as with Johnson, it really does help to have two pro-liberty voices on stage in the debates. The problem with Johnson was Ron Paul didn't benefit much from that because Johnson was shut out of the debates pretty early on.
    That and the fact that despite being a governor, Gary Johnson was not a household name. Ben Carson was well known before the Obama presidential breakfast and extremely well known now. If he got shut out of the debates, at this point I would suspect the Rush Limbaughs of the world to cry "foul" and give him free publicity on their shows.

http://theiowarepublican.com/2014/io...ent-committee/
    Dated Sept. 18th, 2014
    DES MOINES, Iowa – The Draft Ben Carson Committee, a political action committee formed to draft Dr. Ben Carson into the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, today announced that State Rep. Rob Taylor, R-West Des Moines, and his wife Dr. Christi Taylor will serve as the Committee’s Iowa state chairs.

“Iowa plays an extremely important role in the presidential race, and a strong presence in the state is crucial to convincing Dr. Carson to run,” said Vernon Robinson, the Committee’s campaign director. “We are thrilled to have Rob and Christi chairing the draft effort in Iowa as we continue to build momentum here and around the country.”

Quote Originally Posted by rpfocus View Post
    And Carson in a debate with seasoned politicians? He'd get destroyed.
    Actually he's a better speaker than most politicians and he doesn't have a record to be labeled a flip flopper off of.

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Why? He has zero chance of winning. He has never held office before, no political or executive experience whatsoever and wants to run for president. He will be a distraction at best.
    Yes but look at how much attention 999 got without holding office prior to his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    His support is entirely confined to the tea party. He has no cross-appeal to the rest of the GOP, or outside of the party at all. If Carson runs, his goal will be to set himself up for writing another book, not winning the presidency.
    Here in Iowa the Christian Right love him.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    I don't get why Carson would run if he likes Rand.
    Why not? Liking someone doesn't mean you can't run against him. I truly believe Gary Johnson liked (and likes) Ron Paul. Some folks here treated Gary Johnson as "the enemy" even after Ron had effectively dropped out of the race. I never saw the need for that. I think he may feel called to run. He is a religious person and he could interpret his odd thrust into the public spotlight as providence.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Why do this?!

Ultimately, this may the issue that brings him down, but why would you want to be the one to do it? Wouldn't it be far better to allow someone else to go after him on this? Don't be an idiot. While not 100%, Carson is helpful to our cause. Don't tear him down before he even has a chance to help.
    Because anyone who deviates from the ideas of freedom and liberty should be questioned, no matter their record or identity. The whole point of the liberty movement was to rally around ideas, not personalities. Or it was, at least. That seems to have shifted over the last several years.

jmdrake: I guarantee you that Carson will not be singing the same antiwar tune during his presidential run as he did some years back. The first sign of his conversion will be the people with whom he surrounds himself politically. Think of a wager, and I'll likely agree to publicly put my position on the record on this issue.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 09-24-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Because anyone who deviates from the ideas of freedom and liberty should be questioned, no matter their record or identity. The whole point of the liberty movement was to rally around ideas, not personalities. Or it was, at least. That seems to have shifted over the last several years.
    There is a difference between questioning someone's positions on the issues and going on the attack. One mistake Ron Paul made in 2008 was his "tyranny carrying a Bible and wrapped in a flag" comment in response to Huckabee's "Christmas" commercial. That didn't win Ron any friends anywhere.

jmdrake: I guarantee you that Carson will not be singing the same antiwar tune during his presidential run as he did some years back. The first sign of his conversion will be the people with whom he surrounds himself politically. Think of a wager, and I'll likely agree to publicly put my position on the record on this issue.
    Well Rand isn't singing quite the same antiwar tune but I still hear strains of it. And considering that the population at large is more antiwar now than it was a few years back, with more and more republicans questioning the Iraq war, being antiwar no longer has the stigma it once had.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 09-24-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Doesn't he not give a $#@! about gay marriage? Won't that screw up this "social conservative" vote? Not that that is bad thing. That topic needs to be off the debate stage.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Ben Caron, the anti-gun birther, will be 2016's Herman Cain.
    I can't really see that. Cain was a sort of eccentric talking head with a bit of a wild side.... kind of like Giuliani. Carson strikes me as a more reserved intellectual type without many skeletons in his closet. Granted I don't know much about the guy so I might end up being totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    Doesn't he not give a $#@! about gay marriage? Won't that screw up this "social conservative" vote? Not that that is bad thing. That topic needs to be off the debate stage.
    Actually he doesn't support gay marriage and when that came out he started getting blackballed. He even was asked not to speak at John Hopkins commencement when he's the most famous doctor ever to work there. I wish he'd take the view I've adopted of "Get the government all the way out of marriage". It took me a while to figure that out myself. Thank you torchbearer if you're reading this!

Chester Copperpot

id vote for carson if rand didnt run... hes a doctor at least.. so far i seem to like them all in congress... better than an f'ing lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    id vote for carson if rand didnt run... hes a doctor at least.. so far i seem to like them all in congress... better than an f'ing lawyer
    Hmmmmm....I'm a lawyer and my ex-wife is a doctor. I don't know at this point if I like doctors better.....

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Carson decides to run, there will be two candidates on the stage for which we can cheer. There may be times where we shake our heads at both of them, but we can rejoice in listening to them rebut the BS coming out of the mouths of the others.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Either one could win 2 of the first 3 primaries.

Mike Huckabee won the 2008 Iowa straw poll and came in 3rd nationally in the GOP primary process for popular votes and second in the delegate count. While we won the Iowa delegates in 2012, Santorum stole the headlines by winning the straw poll. Either Santorum or Huckabee (or both) could cost Rand especially early on. Neither should be underestimated. This isn't an issue of who ultimately becomes president. It's who's a factor in the primary process and why.
    Especially initially when momentum is so important in terms of energy, excitement, and donations for a candidate's campaign. We have to win early to prove our legitimacy. It was the fatal flaw in Ron's campaign.

Huckabee is 100 times more serious than f-ing Ben Carson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast