Thread: Red light camera firm took cops out for meals, then they recommended firm

Red light camera firm took cops out for meals, then they recommended firm

Robert Couse-Baker
    According to a new report in the Sacramento Bee, Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies and California Highway Patrol officers accepted "at least 250 meals worth $3,800 over a five-year period" paid for by the embattled red light camera (RLC) vendor Redflex.

Then, those law enforcement agencies recommended that the Northern California county renew Redflex’s contract for the county’s RLC system late last year. Five out of the eight members of the law enforcement evaluation team received those free meals, the newspaper reported.

Once informed of the meals, the Sheriff's Office top brass was not happy.

"We should not be getting anything free from our vendors," Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones told the Bee. "I put the kibosh on it."

Redflex did not immediately return Ars’ request for comment.

The paper noted that Sacramento County supervisors, after being informed of the potential conflict of interest, expressed concern but did not seem interested in changing their vote.

Trouble in the Windy City

Last month, former chief executive officer of Redflex Karen Finely was indicted on federal corruption charges stemming from a contract with the city of Chicago. In addition to Finley, government prosecutors also indicted John Bills, former managing deputy commissioner at the Department of Transportation, and Bills’ friend Martin O’Malley, who was hired as a contractor by Redflex.

According to the indictment, O’Malley himself was paid $2 million for his services as a contractor, effectively making him one of the company’s highest paid workers. Much of that money was then funneled to Bills, who used it for personal gain. Via Redflex employees, Bills also acquired a Mercedes and a condominium in Arizona.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ommended-firm/
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The paper noted that Sacramento County supervisors, after being informed of the potential conflict of interest, expressed concern but did not seem interested in changing their vote.

$#@! you, mundane, that's why!

Now, move the $#@! along, $#@!, before we have you arrested.
    Heh...if we were one tenth the men we were 250 years ago, these people would be hung by their own entrails.

But we're not.

We're "civilized" and "compliant".
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Heh...if we were one tenth the men we were 250 years ago, these people would be hung by their own entrails.

But were not.

We're "civilized" and "compliant".
    So true.

This is a reminder why it is so important for a state to ban the use of this technology. That way, we don't have to worry about the 100s of local governments. They have no power. They can do nothing. Case closed!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

This is the problem with pussy ass americans , if these $#@!ers picked up my dinner tab , I would still tell my boss not to buy it.

Were there hookers as well? Maybe cocaine involved?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This is the problem with pussy ass americans , if these $#@!ers picked up my dinner tab , I would still tell my boss not to buy it.
    I never turn down a wholesalers food and regularly tell em I'm not pitching their stuff. Obviously these meals were done in the light of day and on some sort of a disclosure list or it wouldn't have been recorded to the point of 250 meals at $3800. Its quite common for me to take clients out to lunch. At $15.20 per person its certainly not extravagant.

Bear in mind I F ucking hate red light cameras and am in favor of getting rid of them everywhere. I just don't see a major problem here. Its the backdoor cash that we should be more concerned with.