Thread: Any Pipe Smokers here?

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Any Pipe Smokers here?

So I have been an occasional cigar smoker for the past decade. Recently, I got into pipe smoking and I think I enjoy the pipe even more than cigars.

Does anyone else here smoke a pipe and if so, what is your favourite tobacco?
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What brand do you prefer?

I've never strayed from the 'mainstreams.'

Of them I prefer Bugler.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    So I have been an occasional cigar smoker for the past decade. Recently, I got into pipe smoking and I think I enjoy the pipe even more than cigars.

Been smoking a pipe for a tad over 11 years, I don't care for any of the commercial blends...

Find a local tobacconist and ask their recommendation.

I like the house blend at the one I use....

Tax classes and what not, 'L' or 'J.'
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

House blend

Sampler pack

Blueberry sampler

Know that whatever you smoke is going to taste funky until your bowl is seasoned...

Don't buy "filter" style pipes they suck!
    Last edited by tod evans; 09-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    What brand do you prefer?

I've never strayed from the 'mainstreams.'

Of them I prefer Bugler.
    I dont have a favourite brand yet.
    I'm trying out various tobaccos as I get the chance.

There is so much variety when it comes to pipe tobacco that I have barely touched the surface.
    Equality is a false god.

I dont have a favourite brand yet.
    I'm trying out various tobaccos as I get the chance.

There is so much variety when it comes to pipe tobacco that I have barely touched the surface.
    Yup.

I have smoked a pipe in the past. Finding a Tobacco (or a few) you like takes a while.

I used to like a Chocolate blend (from Denmark, I think).

There are a LOT of choices.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nope. But when I was a lil squirt, I used to really like the smell of that cherry tobacco that they put in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Nope. But when I was a lil squirt, I used to really like the smell of that cherry tobacco that they put in the pipe.
    My Dad used to put that in his pipe....I loved the smell of it too. I miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    My Dad used to put that in his pipe....I loved the smell of it too. I miss him.
    You can buy incense that smells exactly like it. I'm a big incense freak. That's how I know.

Haven't gotten to try much, but of what I tried I'm partial to captain black.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Quote Originally Posted by evilfunnystuff View Post
    Haven't gotten to try much, but of what I tried I'm partial to captain black.
    This is what I buy as an emergency stop-gap measure......

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I need to try more of those aromatic blends. Maybe I can find something my wife can stand being around.

On the other hand, it does give me a chance to get some solitude when I need it.
    Last edited by Southron; 09-22-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Equality is a false god.

If you like aromatics, I strongly recommend Lane Ltd. BCA (a nice vanilla black cavendish which is a nice cut above Captain Black). If savory blends are more your thing, it's hard to go wrong with G.L. Pease's Caravan or Westminster. Mmmm...that's good smokin'!
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I usually experiment with no name blends from the pipe store.

I am currently smoking a name brand (listed below) in an effort to learn what I like and dislike.

Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut
    Last edited by Cleaner44; 09-23-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Did ya' get something different to try?

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Did ya' get something different to try?
    I'm gonna hit the store this weekend. I'll post what I get aftewards.
    Equality is a false god.

My late grandfather used to smoke a pipe. I always kind of associated pipe smoking with wisdom and intellectualism for some reason. Sit a guy in a chair, and have him lean over puffing on a pipe will make him seem like reflective wise man deep in thought.

I honestly haven't seen anyone smoking a pipe in IRL since my grandfather....that is going on 14 years now.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    My late grandfather used to smoke a pipe. I always kind of associated pipe smoking with wisdom and intellectualism for some reason. Sit a guy in a chair, and have him lean over puffing on a pipe will make him seem like reflective wise man deep in thought.

I honestly haven't seen anyone smoking a pipe in IRL since my grandfather....that is going on 14 years now.
    I find it interesting how many people bring up pipe smoking when they recall memories of their fathers and grandfathers.

It seems to leave an impression.
    Equality is a false god.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I finally was able to pick up some tobacco last weekend at JR's in Burlington, NC. I may have to order stuff online as I haven't found a good local tobacconist. I picked up Chocolate, and Cherry Cavendish tobacco. It was a value brand I bought, since I didn't recognize the other tobaccos they sold.

They had a decent selection but I couldn't find anyone that knew anything about pipe tobacco, as they are mainly known for their cigars. So far this stuff is pretty good though. It's better than anything I have tried so far. Hoping to order some of the recommendations in this thread soon, but it will have to be online.
    Equality is a false god.

Know that whatever you smoke is going to taste funky until your bowl is seasoned...

For a wood or similar pipe, you can fast forward that with an electric soldering iron.

I'm partial to pyrex, the industry has really come a long way in the past 10 years... something like this goes for $30

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Been smoking a pipe for a tad over 11 years, I don't care for any of the commercial blends...

Find a local tobacconist and ask their recommendation.

I like the house blend at the one I use....
    A woodworker who smokes a pipe and knows the local tobacconist. A gentleman in the rough.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    For a wood or similar pipe, you can fast forward that with an electric soldering iron.

I'm partial to pyrex, the industry has really come a long way in the past 10 years... something like this goes for $30

This pipe does not so much say "wisdom and intellectualism" as it does "harvest time in the mushroom patch." Which is not a bad thing.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

My new tobacco is much more moist than what I purchased before. I had a hard time keeping it lit without drying it out. How long do you typically let it dry out before smoking?
    Equality is a false god.

My new tobacco is much more moist than what I purchased before. I had a hard time keeping it lit without drying it out. How long do you typically let it dry out before smoking?
    Good tobacco isn't dry enough to crumble and all untreated tobacco will go out like a joint if you don't pull air across it.

I'll typically go through 3-4 bic lighters per pound keeping my pipe lit.

Hands down, Turkish Latakia. It is black. It is oily. It stinks to hell. But boy is it a sweet smoke, at least for my tastes. Most people cannot smoke it... at least not straight. It is used as an ingredient in other mixes, but I like it just as it is. However beware, it is very strong in its odor. But if like myself you inhale, you will find it is not harsh at all.

I've not smoked it in perhaps 25 years, but it was the only thing I lit for a good while. People around you will probably give a horrified look in your direction if they smell it, wondering what brand of turd with which you are abusing yourself. Pay no mind to such timid and imbecilic souls, for you will have discovered the sublime and they will remain in their vile and putrescent ignorance. Pity them and revel in the superiority of spirit that you enjoy as matters of the respective choices of inferior and superlative men.

Got all that?

Good.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

I used to cut my own from either burls or meerschaum. I've made ram's heads, eagle claws holding eggs, and a very anatomically perfect human skull with several 14K yellow gold teeth. I still have three of them, including the skull which has never been smoked.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I bought a couple months into a pipe tobacco of the month club at pipesandcigars.com. Supposedly they send you 4 brands/month. First month should be here in a few weeks. At the very least it will let me try a little variety, and if I like the stuff they send I may keep subscribing.
    Equality is a false god.