Thread: Rep. Justin Amash, Lt. Gov. Brian Calley to 'free the brews' at Founders

Rep. Justin Amash, Lt. Gov. Brian Calley to 'free the brews' at Founders

Rep. Justin Amash, Lt. Gov. Brian Calley to 'free the brews' at Founders

By Andrew Krietz
    September 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Citing Prohibition-era laws and the steep expenses of operating a brewery, politicians and local business leaders say it's time to "Free the Brews."

U.S. Rep. Justin Amash and Lt. Gov. Brian Calley are slated to make the call at an event Monday, Sept. 22, at Founders Brewing Co., 235 Grandville Ave. SW, according to a press release. Founders' education ambassador, John Gautraud, also is expected to talk about the business' operations.

Generation Opportunity, a non-profit organization that lobbies for millennial groups, argues too many regulatory hurdles make it difficult for entrepreneurs to launch their own craft brewery. Kevin Gardner, the organization's Michigan director, recently wrote that the ones that succeed often find their success limited:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...gov_brian.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Justin Amash seems to always be headed in the right direction. The guy is awesome.
    "The Patriarch"

Ok, after that, how about getting rid of the federal legislation preventing home alcohol distillation?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Ok, after that, how about getting rid of the federal legislation preventing home alcohol distillation?
    Yet one more law I have on "ignore".
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yet one more law I have on "ignore".
    I just picked up some liquor yeast the other day. says it will do 20% in 7days. 40proof without the distillation so its legal. But if distillation was legal; I might very well try my hand at some homemade craft whisky. Or at the very least, I'd love to see the imagination of the free market really set loose on it, similar to what has already happened with craft beers.