Thread: Kansas City Might Outlaw Catcalling

Kansas City Might Outlaw Catcalling

A proposed ordinance would make street harassment — ranging from physical aggression to threats and catcalls — illegal in Kansas City, Missouri.

The legislation is motivated by a desire to get residents walking and biking more frequently, instead of driving everywhere. Laws against general harassment are already in place, but the proposed ordinance is intended to specifically protect pedestrians and bicyclists from abuse.

“We build bike lanes, sidewalks,” Sarah Shipley, founder of BikeWalkKC, told The Huffington Post. “But if people feel threatened on the streets, what is the point?”

City Councilman John Sharp told the Kansas City Star, “We’re encouraging people to walk and bike more, and they certainly ought to be allowed to do that without harassment.”

BikeWalkKC, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting healthy outdoor activity, spearheaded the legislation.

Many women, the organization says, feel they can’t jog, bike or even walk their children to school without being harassed.

Resident Amber Langston told KCTV5 she’s been shouted at from a car and has even been flashed by a man on a balcony. “I looked away quickly and just walked on and uh, chalked it up to another one of those instances that happens to women on the street,” she said.

The bill also targets violent acts of intimidation against pedestrians and cyclists, including throwing objects at them or trying to run them off the road with a vehicle.

In the past five years, similar ordinances have been passed in the Missouri cities of Columbia, St. Louis, Independence and Greenwood, according to the Kansas City Star.

Shipley believes that outlawing catcalling and unwanted sexual comments does not trample on First Amendment rights. “You’re not allowed to yell 'fire' in a movie theater,” she told HuffPost. Catcalls, she said, fall into the same category.

The city council's public safety committee is scheduled to discuss the legislation on September 25.

The full text of the ordinance, provided by KCTV 5, reads:

Sec. 50-205. Harassment of a Bicyclist, Pedestrian or Wheelchair Operator
    (a) The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings ascribed to them below, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    Bicycle means any device upon which a person may ride, which is propelled by human power through a system of belts, chains, or gears, and may include an electric assist motor, and has wheels at least 16 inches in diameter and a frame size of at least 13 inches.
    Wheelchair means any manual or motorized device designed specifically for use by a physically disabled person for means of conveyance.
    (b) No person shall, for the purpose of frightening or injuring any person riding a bicycle, walking, running, or operating a wheelchair:
    (1) Throw an object, direct a projectile, or operate a vehicle at or in such person's direction; or
    (2) Threaten such person; or
    (3) Sound a horn, shout or otherwise direct loud or unusual sounds toward such person; or
    (4) Place such person in apprehension of immediate physical danger; or
    (5) Engage in conduct that creates a risk of death or serious physical injury to such person.
    (c) Any person convicted of a violation of this chapter shall be punished for that violation by a fine of not less than $50, but not more than $500 or by imprisonment of not more than 180 days or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5851422.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AKA Creation of yet another "No Fun Zone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

ranging from physical aggression to threats...
    So wait, physically threatening someone is not already against the law there? That seems odd.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    So wait, physically threatening someone is not already against the law there? That seems odd.
    That's my main problem with most laws in this country is that they're already covered by another law.

It's pointless. It really is.
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    That's my main problem with most laws in this country is that they're already covered by another law.

It's pointless. It really is.
    Nah there's a point. It benefits the people whose job it is to make laws, and it benefits those who benefit from high arrest numbers (look how high crime is!!!).

It just doesn't benefit the regular folks.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Oh but that isn't good enough because it fails to provide an adequate response to this question: Do the existing laws allow some interest groups to feel special, powerful, and relevant? If not, a new law is required.

And, for what it is worth, I've never heard anyone get cat-called before and thought that it was just something that existed in movies.

Never had much luck calling my cat in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Oh but that isn't good enough because it fails to provide an adequate response to this question: Do the existing laws allow some interest groups to feel special, powerful, and relevant? If not, a new law is required.

And, for what it is worth, I've never heard anyone get cat-called before and thought that it was just something that existed in movies.
    No, it exists, and you can deal with it the same way you would deal with any unwanted attention. In most cases, it's fleeting since you don't even know the people, so you can just move right along and ignore it. They have their fun and you get out of earshot. They are still morons, but you can't help that. In some cases, it's akin to bullying because it's someone you see every day.

I did like how one of my co-workers handled it years ago. There was a group of drunk guys at the bus stop near where we were eating on a restaurant patio. "Hey sweet tits I got something for you to put in your mouth!" was about as intelligent as it got. She got up, walked over with the most idiotic curious look on her face, and said "Really? Can I see it?" The guy blinked a couple of times and backed away, and they got really quiet after that. I asked what she would have done if he'd actually shown her, and she said she'd have laughed her ass off. I'm pretty sure that in THAT situation, it would have been 99% safe to do so. The rest of dinner was nice.

These things are situational.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Never had much luck calling my cat in anyway.
    Damn cats.
    "The Patriarch"

Problem, Solution:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

“You’re not allowed to yell 'fire' in a movie theater,” she told HuffPost. Catcalls, she said, fall into the same category.
    "The Patriarch"

Shipley believes that outlawing catcalling and unwanted sexual comments does not trample on First Amendment rights. “You’re not allowed to yell 'fire' in a movie theater,” she told HuffPost. Catcalls, she said, fall into the same category.

"IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

“You’re not allowed to yell 'fire' in a movie theater,” she told HuffPost. Catcalls, she said, fall into the same category.

The signs are always there - just need to pay attention once in a while. One more fine example.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Maybe she means, if you do a catcall, you might get trampled to death by all of the cats running in your direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Maybe she means, if you do a catcall, you might get trampled to death by all of the cats running in your direction.
    Or she could mean that catcalling at her would be a false alarm?

"Hey baby you're so sexy... oh... never mind. I was mistaken."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Go to the beach sometime with someone who has a really hot bod.

It just doesn't benefit the regular folks.
    Us regular folks just wanna cat call in peace, dern it.
    We Must Dissent.

I don't see how catcalling could be a big problem in America. My understanding is that today's liberal-feminist man does not even get a hard on when looking at swimsuit models.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I don't see how catcalling could be a big problem in America. My understanding is that today's liberal-feminist man does not even get a hard on when looking at swimsuit models.
    The two really don't have anything to do with one another. Catcalling at random down the street is stupid. No one on either side should be under the ridiculous impression that this is sexy. Grabbing your crotch and whistling at some woman totally out of your league is not going to make her melt to her knees and provide happy-fun-time to you. If it does, she's likely going to charge you money for it.

You can be heterosexual and have much more finesse with the opposite sex, which will in turn lead to way better results.

Damn, check out the laws on that state. Shake those bills, baby!

Grabbing your crotch and whistling at some woman totally out of your league is not going to make her melt to her knees and provide happy-fun-time to you.
    And this is really how it boils down. If the guy is short, fat, and ugly, then any physical attraction attention is disgusting. Tall, dark, and handsome will do just fine. The catcalling is the ridiculous form of attention that is just not happening much while "walking down the street." It's highly exaggerated.

The whole thing is about more subtle forms of attention. The narcissistic woman who got on TV calling out the men was ticked off because only slobs were giving her attention. Her lardbucket ass thought she looked like a swimsuit model, but I guess the good looking men must've missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members