Thread: Time to ENCRYPT the World Wide Web

Time to ENCRYPT the World Wide Web

Want Privacy and Data Security?

ENCRYPT!

They talk like it's just a matter of time.... hmmmm.... politics is their main wall.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...tects-propose/

The HTTPbis Working Group, the IETF body charged with designing the next-generation HTTP 2.0 specification, is proposing that encryption be the default way data is transferred over the "open Internet." A growing number of groups participating in the standards-making process—particularly those who develop Web browsers—support the move, although as is typical in technical deliberations, there's debate about how best to implement the changes.

more
    http://www.technologyreview.com/news...pted-internet/

A little off topic but, do you know that we have slow internet compared to lots of other countries? Time to open up the market, for encryption to work, we'd need, more speed.
    FJB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm skeptical. My suspicion is that there are some lobbyists for certificate authorities on that working group that see this as a money making bonanza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Sure. Make encryption default. But for real security you need your own encryption standard that only you and your friends have. The NSA has shown that it will backdoor any "official" standard.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2ba475f19c217def56a807ac51ecf58b

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    But for real security you need your own encryption standard that only you and your friends have. The NSA has shown that it will backdoor any "official" standard.
    Common misconception. If you try to invent your own encryption algorithm there's basically a 100% chance it will be insecure, even if you're a PhD mathematician. It's best to use the well known, peer reviewed algorithms that have stood the test of time.

A little off topic but, do you know that we have slow internet compared to lots of other countries? Time to open up the market, for encryption to work, we'd need, more speed.
    Encrypted data doesn't consume any more bandwidth than unencrypted data. I mean maybe a few kb will be spent on headers and key exchanges, but it's not significant. What encryption does require is more processing power.