Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Will Victory Against ISIS Look Like?

What Will Victory Against ISIS Look Like?

By Patrick J. Buchanan • September 19, 2014

“Congress must now vote to support the first steps of what will be a long march toward victory,” said Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy. Following this clarion call, 71 House Republicans bolted to join 85 Democrats in voting no to U.S. funds to train and arm Syrian rebels.

Why the hesitation? Because our strategy in Syria is to rely on a Free Syrian Army that has been the least effective force in that civil war, and untrustworthy to boot. Units of the FSA have handed their U.S. weapons over to ISIS. Yet these “feckless” rebels, says Sen. Bob Corker, constitute “our entire ground game.”

John McCain raises a second issue. The FSA came into being to overthrow Bashar Assad. Now they are to be retrained to fight ISIS. How effective will the FSA be when told to change sides and become de facto allies of the dictator against whom they took up arms?

Projections are that it will take a year before we can set up and run camps in Saudi Arabia, vet volunteers, train, equip, and arm rebels, and send 5,000 fighters into battle in Syria. The United States will then be ensuring that a three-year civil war that has caused millions of refugees and cost 190,000 lives—soldiers, rebels, jihadists, and civilians alike—will go on indefinitely.
    Brushing aside these concerns is the Wall Street Journal, whose editorial, “The Syria Campaign,” describes how the FSA can emerge victorious.

“American bombs aren’t yet falling on Syria, but on Tuesday Chuck Hagel suggested they soon will. … Let’s hope so.” the editorial began. Here is how the Journal‘s “military strategy” would unfold: ”A devastating air campaign against the Islamic State might at least weaken the group sufficiently to embolden a revolt and send new recruits to the FSA.
    Does the Journal have in mind another unconstitutional war?

So it would seem. For the Journal not only wants bombs falling on ISIS, but on Assad as well. ”Defeating the Islamic State will also require attacks on the Assad regime. Sunnis will not support the campaign against Islamic State if they think our air strikes are intended to help the regime in Damascus and its Shiite allies in Beirut and Tehran.”

The Journal wants Obama to bomb Raqqa, ISIS, the Assad regime, and its army and air force, to give the FSA a “psychological boost.” Questions arise: Does the Journal believe Barack Obama needs Congressional authorization before going to war against Syria, which has neither attacked nor threatened us, but instead has expressed a willingness to work with us to destroy ISIS?
    And if our bombing campaign against Assad breaks him, who comes to power in Damascus, if not ISIS, al-Nusra or the Islamic Front? What then becomes of the Christian and Shia minorities?
    More:
    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...ike-this-time/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There will be no victory. You can't win a war against an idea.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    True.

But behind all of the propaganda, they really just want to see Assad get the Gaddafi treatment. That's doable.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

You'll know "ISIS" is defeated when the new enemy is created.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    True.

But behind all of the propaganda, they really just want to see Assad get the Gaddafi treatment. That's doable.
    And that's because the MIC needs an enemy to profit. But that's beside the point.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

And that's because the MIC needs an enemy to profit. But that's beside the point.
    Yep. Multiple agendas converge. Follow the money. And speaking of money, don't forget the new Syrian Central Bank that will be created the day Assad falls.

A victory?...you would have to disintegrate the entire region, including most of Europe with Nuclear weapons....that 'might' do it....are you prepared to support that, or just chip away at it forever?....
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 09-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.

ISIS is not really an idea. It's a state-like actor that occupies geographical territory. Their strength comes from their organization, not their ideas.

In my opinion the biggest problem in this all is Turkey. Rand was right to ask Hillary about weapon transfers between Libya and Turkey. Turkey has AIDED and ABETTED ISIS fighters. They have allowed them to cross their borders, they have allowed people to fly in to reinforce them. Turkey has given medical assistance to fighters, they have turned a blind eye to smuggling of all kinds. Turkey has refused to call ISIS a terrorist organization. Reason ? Turkey hates the Kurds, helping ISIS commit genocide on the Kurds is quite convenient for Turkey, when ISIS then turns on Turkey, they'll be whining for their NATO buddies to fix their problem. At least that's how I see this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Victory looks like rising poll numbers as the rubes all buy into security at the cost of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    ISIS is not really an idea. It's a state-like actor that occupies geographical territory. Their strength comes from their organization, not their ideas.
    The so-called 'war on terror' isn't a war on a particular country, like most wars in the past have been. It's a war on an idea. It's basically the idea of terrorizing people out of revenge, or to force them to accept a certain way of thinking, believing, and living. As ISIS has proven, as well as Al Qaeda, this "war" doesn't involve any particular country where the war can waged. It's everywhere. How do you fight and win a war like that? You can't, and you don't.

In my opinion the biggest problem in this all is Turkey. Rand was right to ask Hillary about weapon transfers between Libya and Turkey. Turkey has AIDED and ABETTED ISIS fighters. They have allowed them to cross their borders, they have allowed people to fly in to reinforce them. Turkey has given medical assistance to fighters, they have turned a blind eye to smuggling of all kinds. Turkey has refused to call ISIS a terrorist organization. Reason ? Turkey hates the Kurds, helping ISIS commit genocide on the Kurds is quite convenient for Turkey, when ISIS then turns on Turkey, they'll be whining for their NATO buddies to fix their problem. At least that's how I see this.
    And you are probably right. But again, Turkey is aiding and abetting terrorism, and terrorism is an idea, imo.

Edit: and guess who created these terrorists?
    Last edited by Deborah K; 09-19-2014 at 01:16 PM.

It's much like fighting crime. You can't win, but you can control it to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    It's much like fighting crime. You can't win, but you can control it to some extent.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming we should roll over. But I hold no hope that there is ever going to be a way to win the 'war on terror' any more than there will be a way to win the 'war on drugs'. The MIC and its cohorts (Banks, etc.) have a stronghold now. And until there is an awakening, this will be never ending.

I mean think about it, we've been fighting terrorism for how many years now? The only thing that's been accomplished is more of our freedoms have been lost, our economy ruined, and that creates the perfect set-up to collapse us into global governance. Global governance will be their answer to all of this - not right away - but eventually.....when the masses have had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Like this:

the rise of Y.A.B.B.O.!

(yet anudda blow-back organization)
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Except it's even more abstract than "crime". "Terror" is a tactic-a means to an end. There are things that can be done to prevent both, but neither are concrete enemies that can be forced to wave a white flag and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

And now we can see why I seldom post. If I say anything of substance, there is going to be somebody who will disagree.

There is no clear victory possible against IS. The goal should be to degrade their ability to attack the US by cutting off their funding sources and killing leadership.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And now we can see why I seldom post. If I say anything of substance, there is going to be somebody who will disagree.
    So what? Do you want a circle jerk echo chamber? Discourse and discussion is good.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    So what? Do you want a circle jerk echo chamber? Discourse and discussion is good.
    You guys can keep the discourse, I'll just read instead of post. I'm way too old to argue with people.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 09-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.

There is no clear victory possible against IS. The goal should be to degrade their ability to attack the US by cutting off their funding sources and killing leadership.
    A good start would be to keep 'our ally' Turkey responsible for aiding and abetting.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    A good start would be to keep 'our ally' Turkey responsible for aiding and abetting.
    They really should stop the flow of IS fighters and black market oil across the border. I wouldn't go as far as to allege government support.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming we should roll over. But I hold no hope that there is ever going to be a way to win the 'war on terror' any more than there will be a way to win the 'war on drugs'.
    I think you can be in favor of a more narrow military mission to prevent ISIS from taking over Iraq without being in favor of having a "global war on terror" where the President has the authority to just kill whoever he wants to whenever he wants to. I don't think the two issues should be conflated. Supporting some military action against a terrorist army does not mean that you also support the idea of a global war on terror that just goes on indefinitely.

Honestly I really don't care if IS takes Iraq. My main concern is they not attack us in the US. Then again if they control a country or two and are hostile towards the US because we bombed them, they would be that much harder to stop. Not getting involved at all would have been the best policy, but that ship already sailed.

As far as I know, ISIS does not make their own guns. There is no ISIS factory full of machinists creating RPG, mortars and any other weapons they currently use. It takes a massive amount of weapons to take over an entire country. They are being given these weapons or at the very least sold these weapons from countries in the region. IF you warmongers were really interested in stopping ISIS and not just bombing people for peace, you should be screaming from the top of your lungs for the government to stop the flow of weapons from reaching their hands. Why is the solution for peace always bombing?

Take their toys away and they best left with shoulder rockets. Learn from the Israeli treatment of the Palestinians. Nobody thinks the Palestinians will take over the world do they.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    IF you warmongers were really interested in stopping ISIS and not just bombing people for peace, you should be screaming from the top of your lungs for the government to stop the flow of weapons from reaching their hands. Why is the solution for peace always bombing?
    1) I do. I've been screaming for members of Congress to vote against giving weapons to the Syrian rebels, because these weapons end up going to ISIS. I've posted all kinds of stuff on my Facebook page opposing the bill to give arms to the Syrian rebels.

2) If I and a few others were really "warmongers," do you really think we would support Rand? Don't you think there are a lot more hawkish and pro war Republicans running for President than Rand? If we were really warmongers or neocons, don't you think we would support someone like Rubio or Bolton for President instead?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Honestly I really don't care if IS takes Iraq. My main concern is they not attack us in the US. Then again if they control a country or two and are hostile towards the US because we bombed them, they would be that much harder to stop. Not getting involved at all would have been the best policy, but that ship already sailed.
    Oh please, they can't even get past any Sunni majority cities in Iraq and you think they will take over 2 countries? Do you even realize what it will take to just HOLD on to those countries? They will have their hands full just holding on to the lands they take. It is not easy running a country while SIMULTANEOUSLY planning to attack the most powerful country half a world away with no air force, no navy. This irrational fear of ISIS is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    1) I do. I've been screaming for members of Congress to vote against giving weapons to the Syrian rebels, because these weapons end up going to ISIS. I've posted all kinds of stuff on my Facebook page opposing the bill to give arms to the Syrian rebels.

2) If I and a few others were really "warmongers," do you really think we would support Rand? Don't you think there a lot more hawkish and pro war Republicans running for President than Rand? If we were really warmongers or neocons, don't you think we would support someone like Rubio or Bolton for President instead?
    I'm not talking about the bill to arm the FSA. I'm talking about the arming of ISIS by Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. I don't know who exactly is doing it because they are not exactly making that public knowledge but I do know if the NSA is reading my grandma's emails to her church, they should have an idea on who is arming ISIS. It has to be coming from somewhere and that should be what you should be advocating as a first step over any air strikes which will have the opposite effect of what you want to accomplish. It will not degrade ISIS. Those air strikes will only embolden them further and create more recruits for them.

I'm not talking about the bill to arm the FSA. I'm talking about the arming of ISIS by Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia. I don't know who exactly is doing it because they are not exactly making that public knowledge but I do know if the NSA is reading my grandma's emails to her church, they should have an idea on who is arming ISIS. It has to be coming from somewhere and that should be what you should be advocating as a first step over any air strikes which will have the opposite effect of what you want to accomplish. It will not degrade ISIS. Those air strikes will only embolden them further and create more recruits for them.
    I think we should at least advocate cutting off all foreign aid to these countries that are funding ISIS. I've said that would be a good idea for Rand to advocate.

Oh please, they can't even get past any Sunni majority cities in Iraq and you think they will take over 2 countries? Do you even realize what it will take to just HOLD on to those countries? They will have their hands full just holding on to the lands they take. It is not easy running a country while SIMULTANEOUSLY planning to attack the most powerful country half a world away with no air force, no navy. This irrational fear of ISIS is ridiculous.
    I said I don't care if they do, not I think they will.

They have a lot of operating cash. They could fund a large scale terrorist attack. Nobody is suggesting a military attack.

This irrational fear of ISIS is ridiculous.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

You guys can keep the discourse, I'll just read instead of post. I'm way too old to argue with people.
    so, you're Dr. 2D now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast