Thread: Please Help! Precinct delegate vacancies (need info)

Please Help! Precinct delegate vacancies (need info)

At our August county convention, we made a motion to suspend the filling of precinct delegate vacancies until our next executive committee meeting. It was seconded and approved. This week, along with our notice of the September meeting being canceled, we received this:

"There was a motion at our county convention that we sought clarification on from the MIGOP legal counsel. The motion was that we fill unfilled precinct delegate slots at our next meeting. After the legal counsel consulted party bylaws, rules and state statutes, it was determined that those slots can only be filled at a convention. Therefore, we will not be filling precinct delegate slots
    at the executive committee meeting." (in october)

So even tho this was motioned, seconded and approved we are unable to fill the vacancies. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Since the purpose of filling these spots was to increase the chances of stacking the executive committee with liberty minded conservative people, will it be possible then, to fill them come the November convention (since the rules state that these vacancies can only be filled at 'convention') and will it be able to be done before voting on the executive committee and officers?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They're right, vacancies can only be filled at the end of a convention. Precinct delegates vote to fill open slots, not executive committee members. Why did your August convention suspend filling vacancies? What county are you in?
    Last edited by EBounding; 09-18-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

"Precinct delegates vote to fill open slots, not executive committee members." I realize that, but the more delegates slots that we are able to fill, the more likely that, come November, we can fill the executive committee with liberty candidates (because the delegates vote for the executive comm. members, or am I not understanding correctly?) I'm ashamed to say that I made the motion to wait until next meeting to fill them because I knew we could fill many more seats if we had a little more time. I didn't realize that they could not be filled except at convention. So will we be able to fill them at the november convention? (before we vote in the ex comm and officers)

oh. I think I get what you were saying now.... you meant that they couldnt be filled at a typical ex comm meeting, because a lot of delegates wouldn't be there.
    Last edited by flower; 09-18-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo

Exactly, it wouldn't be fair since there wouldn't be a formal body of precinct delegates.

But if you know people who can fill slots still get them organized for the November convention. It won't help with getting executive committee members nominated, but it'll be important for the February convention where the State Party will be selected.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3