Thread: David Jolly working on bill that would require local law enforcement to be trained to use mili

Supporting Member
    Florida

Blog Entries

Angry David Jolly working on bill that would require local law enforcement to be trained to use mili

David Jolly working on bill that would require local law enforcement to be trained to use military equipment

http://cltampa.com/politicalanimal/archives/2014/08/18/david-jolly-working-on-bill-that-would-require-local-law-enforcement-to-be-trained-to-use-military-equipment

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon lifted a curfew in Ferguson today, hours after deploying the Missouri National Guard to try to tamp down the civic unrest that has lasted for over a week now in the aftermath of an unarmed black teenager being killed by a white police officer.

The tensions have persisted in Ferguson even after the governor turned to the State Highway Patrol last Thursday to oversee crowd control. That move came after the local police were heavily criticized for their heavy-handed tactics, including the use of tear gas, military-style vehicles, assault rifles and smoke bombs.

The use of such vehicles has led to a public discussion about police forces around the country having bulked up on military equipment provided by the federal government via the Department of Defense, particularly after 9/11.

Today Pinellas County Congressman David Jolly told CL that he's working on legislation that would address some of the concerns recently expressed about the issue. He says the bill would make sure that local law enforcement agencies have the certifications required to operate it. Jolly says it's been in the works since long before the situation involving the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson occurred. "We're examining some type of program to make sure that local enforcement that receive surplus DOD equipment actually has personnel trained and licensed to operate it," he said.

"I think the over militarization of our local police forces is leading to higher tensions," said Tampa area Democratic Congresswoman Kathy Castor. "When police officers are shooting tear gas at their own residents that they're there to protect — and protect their First Amendment rights — things have gotten entirely out of hand," she said referring to the actions that have occurred in Ferguson over the past week.

For his part, Jolly says that the situation in Ferguson "is an important one," but he stresses caution. "I think both sides need to be patient and let the justice system work its process, both for the young man as well as the police officer."

Jolly said his legislation would be ready to roll out with the next couple of months. But lawmakers had the chance to slow down the militarization of local police departments back in June, when Representative Alan Grayson proposed an amendment that would have stopped the so-called '1033 program' launched in 1997 that has provided billions of dollars in military equipment to local law enforcement agencies. The proposal went down to defeat on a 355-62 vote; Castor was amongst those 62 members of Congress supporting it (Jolly opposed).

The libertarian wing of the Republican Party has been outspoken in the past week about the use of such military equipment being used by local police forces, none bigger than their standard bearer in Congress these days, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul. In a much-talked-about essay on Time.com last week, Paul wrote," Washington has incentivized the militarization of local police precincts by using federal dollars to help municipal governments build what are essentially small armies — where police departments compete to acquire military gear that goes far beyond what most of Americans think of as law enforcement."

"The militarization of our law enforcement is due to an unprecedented expansion of government power in this realm," Paul wrote later in the essay. "It is one thing for federal officials to work in conjunction with local authorities to reduce or solve crime. It is quite another for them to subsidize it."

But Congressman Jolly respectfully disagrees with his Kentucky colleague. "The important thing about law enforcement is that it's exercised in a way that respects individuals' due process," he said on Monday. "The tools of law enforcement are never the issue."

When this issue came up last week, several national commentators referenced the excessive build-up in Tampa for the 2012 Republican National Convention as another example of "overkill" when it came to deploying a quasi-military-like setting in an urban environment. Certainly Kathy Castor thinks so.

"Downtown Tampa was over-militarized," she said on Monday. "I thought they went too far. They shut down downtown. You could not get to local restaurants. I was disappointed. We felt safe, but walking around Charlotte (the host of the DNC a week later) shortly after that it was obvious that you did not need to over-militarize your downtown area."
    Jolly had an endorsement from Rand Paul in his first bid, and his only challenger now is a Libertarian candidate Lucas Overby. Now that people have seen him in action, and he has a record which completely contradicts all the promises he made on the campaign trail, people are angry with him. My sincerest hope is that he get's voted out. The former defense industry lobbyist needs to go.
    Last edited by jeffro97; 09-17-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Thread title got butchered

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't train them.. Really?!?! Take away their war machines!!

Also.. When I hear this guy say that the tools of law enforcement don't matter, all I can think is "bootlicker!!!!!!"
    Last edited by Kotin; 09-17-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Supporting Member
    Florida

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Don't train them.. Really?!?! Take away their war machines!!

Also.. When I hear this guy say that the tools of law enforcement don't matter, all I can think is "bootlicker!!!!!!"
    Amen to that. He really is a bad dude.

Hay, sure. Why not. Just so long as he volunteers as the target on the firing range...

-t

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	david-jolly.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	3097

NO MORE HESITATION

-t

Typical run of the mill GOP copsucking.

[Pinellas County Congressman David Jolly] says the bill would make sure that local law enforcement agencies have the certifications required to operate [the military equipment in local police hands].
    Certifications? CERTIFICATIONS?!!

The mere fact that such a statement passes over the heads of Joey and Janey Meaner is in itself some of the saddest testament to the state of their intellects, and here I use "intellect" with foolhardy generosity.

Consider the sheer absurdity of such a statement as this. Certifications? WHAT certifications? WHOSE certifications? Where did they come from? Whence were they designed and how do we know they are correct? Who are the people that put them in place and by what authority? These are but the first and the LEAST of the questions that should be rocketing through the average man's mind within an instant of becoming aware of Congressman Jolly's mind-numbingly absurd statement.

Once we get past those initial questions, we should immediately lead ourselves to those more profound. To what actual purpose are such weapons and other equipment intended? Don't just brush that off, thinking the answer is obvious. THINK, for pity's sake, about what it really means. What does it MEAN to turn an army upon its own people. If the answer is not immediately apparent to you and if it does not cause within you to arise a mix of horror, disgust, and some measure of rage, then I submit Theye have done their jobs well in your case, for you miss that which should be so glaringly obvious to any untainted man and that you, therefore, must be significantly tainted by that in which you marinate. That is the result of a life spent in the environment that has been constructed around you and in which the elements thereof you perpetually soak.

It is the poison of the world in which you bathe that suffocates you to vision of deeper truths that were you, Joey and Janey, able to perceive and properly assess, would impel you and everyone you know to stop dead in your tracks. Were you to become aware of the depth and breadth to which you have been molested, nay raped, by Themme IN YOUR MINDS, you would have left to you naught but the choice to break down and die on the spot where you stood, or bring your fury to Theire doorstep for that most grim accounting of what it is Theye have done and to exact the pound of flesh due you, even though at 100 times the volume no sufficiency in such flesh could ever exist. What Theye have stolen from you is beyond remuneration and repair, for it is nothing less than Life itself; Life in its most primordial sense, which Theye have reduced to mere existence, stripped of all dignity and meaningful autonomy. Were you to realize what has been done to you, the savagery of it; the barbarity; the evil, all in the name of high-sounding ideals, you would flay those men alive and extract from them every last ounce of agony as you became the very face of Vengeance itself, whose thirst for its own namesake would never be slaked a whit to your very last breaths. And when those who took from you that which they had no authority to take were no more able to give what your hunger demanded, you would set upon their children, their spouses, their siblings, parents, aunties and uncles. You rage would be deep scarlet and inconsolable. This description of the nature of the manner in which you have been violated is but a pale reflection of the deeper truth it seeks to portray.

I have not the acumen to place into words the truths I see; the horrors that underpin the second-by-second existences of the vast and overwhelming majority of human life on this planet. NONE of it relates in any way to street muggings and murder and beatings and rape by one against his fellows on a man by man basis. It has everything to do with the psychological landscape in which we have all been placed by men whose evil issues not perforce from like intent, but rather that which is "good" or that which cares not of the harmful result to some so long as that which is sought is attained.

That, my friends, is the root of the evil in this world. Wanting without knowing that which is wanted. Deciding without understanding the fuller result of choice. Setting oneself without regard for those deleterious effects upon others, and not caring because all that matters is the satisfaction of that which is desired. At the heart of it, this is NO different from what the child rapist does because the base motivations are precisely the same as that for a given murder plot. It matters in principle not a whit whether the means to the end is poison, a knife, or the fist. What counts is that the desire to kill is satisfied and that desire remains identical to itself regardless of the outer manifestations of the actions taken.

For such people, the end justifies any means of which they are capable and feel they can pull off without significant consequence.

Jolly says it's been in the works since long before the situation involving the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson occurred.
    This is likely a lie, but either way it is very revealing of how the man's mind operates and should serve as the sufficient basis for casting him out, at the very least.

"We're examining some type of program to make sure that local enforcement that receive surplus DOD equipment actually has personnel trained and licensed to operate it," he said.
    "Licensed." Yet another employment of a term that should send red rockets toward the heavens in people's minds, but few so much as notice. Why? Because they have been so thoroughly trained to accept without the least question the many ideas that are tacitly implied by the very use of that single word. Those implications of innumerable tentacles spread their mental poison into nearly every reach of a man's soul to such depth that he is largely incapable, or at least certainly unwilling to detect it, much less the problems it creates for him.

"I think the over militarization of our local police forces is leading to higher tensions," said Tampa area Democratic Congresswoman Kathy Castor. "When police officers are shooting tear gas at their own residents that they're there to protect — and protect their First Amendment rights — things have gotten entirely out of hand," she said referring to the actions that have occurred in Ferguson over the past week.
    This, from a liberal; truly a profound indicator of just how badly this land has devolved into tyranny. Make no mistake about that last bit: we now live in open, bald-faced tyranny such that, and unlike in times not so long past, Theye and Theire dogs no longer even attempt to maintain an appearance of even the least degree of rational and just propriety. Theye now simply come right out with it: "You are required to comply for no other reason than Wēy say so, and if you refuse Wēy will set the dogs upon you. Dogs with guns and the mindless, senseless, undiscriminating, and utterly blind obedience of the lost-soul bootlicker who, having at long last found his niche in what is to him an impossibly terrifying world, would kill and maim as many of his fellows as commanded in order to maintain his miserable spot at the master's feet and not find himself once again on the outside.

Jolly said his legislation would be ready to roll out with the next couple of months.
    Why in months if it has been in the works since "long before" the incident in question? I believe the man lies like a whore on duty.
    The libertarian wing of the Republican Party has been outspoken
    Big deal. Meaningless vapors. The "Libertarian wing" isn't going to help, much less save anyone or anything. Until enough of us break free from the mental prisons which hold them fast to endless falsehoods, nothing is going to change, save to slide further down that slippery slope into Orwell's world, capped with Huxley's veneer of candy.

In a much-talked-about essay on Time.com last week, Paul wrote," Washington has incentivized the militarization of local police precincts by using federal dollars to help municipal governments build what are essentially small armies — where police departments compete to acquire military gear that goes far beyond what most of Americans think of as law enforcement."
    And Rand Paul misses the mark by miles, addressing but the symptom whilst ignoring the cause. An interesting failure for a doctor. That cause is the mental landscape of the meaner. It is a wasteland. Until that is addressed, all the fancy and inspiring essays serve as but so much masturbatory window dressing. No doubt the good Senator means well, but we all know where that leads. Perhaps he knows the truth but feels the "public" would be incapable of dealing with it. He is probably right. This is not a problem solvable by one man, nor even the entire Congress. It is a disaster of epic proportions that lies invisible to the eyes of the average man because of the absence of gunfire, artillery, and stuff blowing up everywhere one looks. Everything about this environment fully supports the maintenance of the current world view of the vast majority of people and so long as that fact remains in effect, we're not going anywhere but further into the Pit.

But Congressman Jolly respectfully disagrees with his Kentucky colleague. "The important thing about law enforcement is that it's exercised in a way that respects individuals' due process," he said on Monday. "The tools of law enforcement are never the issue."
    Once again, that which is expressed sails over the heads of the Meaners. Just another anecdotal data point underscoring the nearly utter absence of perception by the mean man. These gems of the tyrant's will pass by unnoticed because for the meaner they are unquestionable. They are unquestionable because it serves the Meaner's purposes to be so and that speaks directly of his fathomless personal corruption.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro97;5651685[I
    ]Jolly had an endorsement from Rand Paul[/I] in his first bid, and his only challenger now is a Libertarian candidate Lucas Overby. Now that people have seen him in action, and he has a record which completely contradicts all the promises he made on the campaign trail, people are angry with him. My sincerest hope is that he get's voted out. The former defense industry lobbyist needs to go.
    Oops... I wonder what Rand says about him now. Or does he even address the question?
    Last edited by osan; 09-18-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I'll state something kind of unpopular here...

I honestly have no issue in my heart of hearts with anyone... police or public owning military equipment.

The issues, in my opinion, are moreso related to criminalization of petty non violent offenses and imunity of police from prosecution. If you address those two issues... then this could never happen:

And this could never happen:

Its not possession of anything which creates immoral behavior, its immunity from consequences of nefarious police action and carte blanche to detain and act on subjective accounts of "officer safety".

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.