Thread: Thomas Massie Votes Against Intervention in Syria

Thomas Massie Votes Against Intervention in Syria

U.S. Representative Massie Votes Against Intervention in Syria

WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Massie voted against the President's plan to arm and train Syrian rebels. The amendment passed the House, 273-156.

“It is immoral to use the threat of a government shutdown to pressure Members to vote for involvement in war, much less a civil war on the other side of the globe,” said Rep. Massie. “Because the Syrian resolution is contained within the Continuing Resolution, Representatives and Senators must tacitly approve the President's aggressive intervention in order to vote to fund all government programs.”

Rep. Massie added, “Also, it is disingenuous for the Administration to tell the American public that we are arming Syrian rebels to fight ISIS when the Administration's stated objective is to topple the secular government of Syria, a government which has not committed aggression against the United States.”

Congressman Massie also questioned the effectiveness of supporting the rebels.

“If the goal of arming and training so-called moderate Syrian rebels is to eliminate ISIS, the plan will not work,” said Massie. “Military experts know this, and the President acknowledged as much five weeks ago when he stated that the idea that arming rebels would have made a difference has ‘always been a fantasy.’”

The amendment to arm and train Syrian rebels was attached to the Continuing Resolution to fund the government (H.J. Res 124), which passed 319-108.

Rep. Massie’s floor speech in opposition to the amendment can be viewed here.
    http://massieforms.house.gov/news/em...XT6RU32JWA3DS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbFZ0Ya7ajM
    Last edited by tsai3904; 09-17-2014 at 05:21 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    good one, Tom.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Massie hit it out of the park on this. Very nice...
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

It's so sad he is such a rare person there.
    "The Patriarch"

That was a good speech....the idea of arming the "moderate rebels" which are exactly the same as ISIS, is ludicrous.

Intervention in the ME is the definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

Great speech.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump