Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Radar Gun to Catch Texting Drivers

New Radar Gun to Catch Texting Drivers

A Virginia company is developing a radar gunlike device that would help police catch drivers as they text.

The technology works by detecting the telltale radio frequencies that emit from a vehicle when someone inside is using a cellphone, said Malcolm McIntyre of ComSonics. Cable repairmen use similar means to find where a cable is damaged - from a rodent, for instance - by looking for frequencies leaking in a transmission, McIntyre said.
    cont.
    http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/new-...exting-drivers

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Frankly, I don't give a $#@! if people text and drive and get themselves killed. But it is bad if they get other, innocent drivers killed. Back in my younger days, I did text while driving sometimes. And there were some close calls.

It's a horrible idea that will never work.

1. Apps can use SMS without a user
    2. Text messages can be sent via data and not SMS through services like iMessage
    3. The driver can just hide their phone and deny it
    4. It could have been a passenger texting anyway

Would a car GPS or satallite radio emit similar signals? What about static or signals from electronic controls for the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

2. Text messages can be sent via data and not SMS through services like iMessage
    #4 is what absolutely kills this.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Yeah,but it would give them one more reason to pull you over and then it's Katey bar the door.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Not to mention that new cars can Text hands free.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Would a car GPS or satallite radio emit similar signals?
    These are passive receivers and not emitters of RF energy.

What about static or signals from electronic controls for the engine?
    Doubtful.

Way different signal strength and frequency.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Back in my younger days, I did text while driving sometimes.
    Back in my "younger days" phones had rotary dial and curly cords...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I had one of those up until 5 years ago when it finally died. I miss it. Might have to get another off ebay.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

-.-- --- ..- .-. .

.-.. ..- -.-. -.- -.--

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    -.-- --- ..- .-. .

.-.. ..- -.-. -.- -.--
    ROFL

Heh, Im half suprised there arent any laws prohibiting Morse Code and Driving...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Back in my younger days with a day off I sat all day in an employed girlfriends newly acquired apartment waiting for some overpaid technician from Ma Bell,the only way you could get a phone at the time it being a monopoly and all,hooked up the black rotary phone with the curly cord to the pre-existing wall outlet.

I am happy to report that all went well and he wasn't electrocuted.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.I'll take my iPhone 5.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Knowing that everything you say within earshot of it can and is monitored?

Knowing that it is tracking your location, in real time?

Is the convienence of being able to have the wife call and pester you to bring home eggs and milk and the ability to laugh at funny cat pictures, worth all that?

(And yes, I am fully aware of using technology to decry technology, so don't bother pointing that out.)

I would happily take a 50 year leap backward in technology to be rid of all this nonsense.

Is the convienence of being able to have the wife call and pester you to bring home eggs and milk and the ability to laugh at funny cat pictures, worth all that?

(And yes, I am fully aware of using technology to decry technology, so don't bother pointing that out.)

I would happily take a 50 year leap backward in technology to be rid of all this nonsense.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you think that in 2014 everything you say into that black rotary dial phone with the curly cord can't be monitored?

New Android/iOS apps to spew texts when detecting fast movement rates via GPS coordinates... aka ECM Electronic Counter Measures aka Electronic Chaff
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Do you think that in 2014 everything you say into that black rotary dial phone with the curly cord can't be monitored?
    Of course it can, it's going into the network.

But it can't track me sitting on my desk.

Of course it can, it's going into the network.

But it can't track me sitting on my desk.
    But your ancient cell phone can by triangulation,close enough for Government work.

I have owned my iPhone 5 since 5/08/2013 and it tells me I have used 155 minutes of phone time since then.The vast majority of this is calls I never answered.I have also received 22 text messages since then,95% from Verizon,and have sent zero.

I don't have a wife and have never looked at a cat picture on my phone,funny or otherwise.
    I do have ~50 apps on it that I use for bird-watching,star-gazing,shopping lists,finding and getting directions to anyplace,anytime,anywhere with turn by turn spoken directions and traffic updates and on and on and on.

Siri is nice and useful,no typing necessary,same with all my shopping lists,I just say 'beer' 'cigs' 'junk food' and it is magically on the list.
    Dictionary,thesaurus,hell the entire internet is just a voice-prompt away.

And if I ever don't want it to track me in my travels,all I gotta do is put it in a cookie tin.

Then it can't track me in my truck.

What if your phone is merely Receiving a Text? Might it send a reply acknowledgement triggering this signal?

Nope. It's illegal in my state for a passenger to have an open container of alcohol. The same reasoning for that law will be used to enforce this.

They'd just make an equivalent "open container" law, or some such bull$#@!.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

-.-- --- ..- .-. .

.-.. ..- -.-. -.- -.--
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was one of the very first to have a car phone. That was such a huge thing. Remember calling a friend from his driveway, and telling him I was parked outside his house after he asked where I was, and it just freaked him the hell out.

You need to get those Faraday bags to market.

"Party line."
    "The Patriarch"

Well my phone is always receiving (and I guess transmitting) data when I'm driving. I use Spotify as my source of music. As soon as I get in the car, I plug in the usb cable to the phone and start streaming. How does this thing determine the difference between music and text data???

Same here. I only have a cell phone because it's cheaper than a land line. I rarely use it. It's just a boring $10 prepaid, not an iphone 25 or whatever.

Texting while driving was legal here until last year. I've done it, it's no big deal, hold the phone above the steering wheel so you aren't looking down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast