Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul to keynote California GOP convention - Saturday 9/20

Rand Paul to keynote California GOP convention - Saturday 9/20

Rand Paul to keynote Calif. GOP convention

James R. Carroll
    September 17, 2014

WASHINGTON - He's headed back to the land of Ronald Reagan.

Yes, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is California-bound late this week, headed for a marquee appearance before Republicans in the nation's most populous state.

Perhaps Paul is hoping to spark some energy in the California GOP, which has fallen on difficult political times as far as national elections go.

The Kentuckian, of course, is considering a possible presidential run in 2016. Where better to help him gauge enthusiasm for his candidacy than in the state that first made Reagan a political force in a resurgent conservative movement in the 1960s and 1970s?

Paul is slated to be the keynote speaker at the California Republican Party's state convention in Los Angeles on Saturday.

"This is a critical year for Republicans, especially in California," Paul said in a statement. "I am excited to join Republicans in California at the convention as we work together to strengthen our great nation."

read more:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story...rday/15773429/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is kind of last minute...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Nice drudge headline!
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Need toob.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

wow, don't read the comments on the cbs article. Rand is a "libtard" according to many republican commentors.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    wow, don't read the comments on the cbs article.
    Don't think of a pink elephant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_...opular_culture

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    wow, don't read the comments on the cbs article. Rand is a "libtard" according to many republican commentors.
    LMAO

Corpseman57 > vincehugh • 5 minutes ago
    While the GOP is wooing the minorities, it is driving away people like me.
    +1 • Reply•Share › One other person is typing…

GlenBradley > Corpseman57 • 3 minutes ago
    What does that say about you?
    • Edit• Reply•Share ›

Quote Originally Posted by jurgs01 View Post
    Thanks for the video. Rand starts @ 1:03:00

There wasn't anything new though, just the same speech he's been doing, which is fine. Took a little bit of extra time to hammer Hillary. Nothing on ISIS or foreign policy. His delivery is good though, looks presidential, and he was very well-received. Still needs to nix that "man coming over the hill singing" though. Can someone please tell him to take that out of the speech and find a different way to close it out? lol
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

It would be great if Rand would stop wearing jeans. I personally have no problem if Rand wants to. I care about his ideas, but the majority of voters care about that stuff. If Steve Jobs wanted to wear jeans, that's fine. Steve Jobs also liked relaxing with his feet in the toilet and not showering. Rand is running for President. He needs start looking and acting like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post

...Still needs to nix that "man coming over the hill singing" though. Can someone please tell him to take that out of the speech and find a different way to close it out? lol
    This. A thousand times this!

The point he's trying to make - that republicans need to be "happy warriors" - is a good/great one, but he needs to find a different/better way to present it.

I'm honestly surprised that Rand still uses the line - it's so completely cringeworthy to younger/ish voters that I just assumed that his college-aged son would at some point pipe up and say "dad, enough is enough - no mas!" Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    It would be great if Rand would stop wearing jeans. I personally have no problem if Rand wants to. I care about his ideas, but the majority of voters care about that stuff. If Steve Jobs wanted to wear jeans, that's fine. Steve Jobs also liked relaxing with his feet in the toilet and not showering. Rand is running for President. He needs start looking and acting like it.
    I actually kind of like the jeans. I agree with David Brody's analysis here:
    http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/ar...the-jeans.aspx

At this point, everything that Rand does should be a purposeful political calculation, all the way down to his choice of attire. I think the jeans work in his favor

Life, Liberty, Logic

I actually kind of like the jeans. I agree with David Brody's analysis here:
    http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/ar...the-jeans.aspx

At this point, everything that Rand does should be a purposeful political calculation, all the way down to his choice of attire. I think the jeans work in his favor
    They would work in his favor if they were stylish jeans and not worn with a suit jacket and tie. I already posted my suggestion in another thread. I am middle aged and his jeans make me cringe. I'm not suggesting hipster jeans but .....

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    They would work in his favor if they were stylish jeans and not worn with a suit jacket and tie. I already posted my suggestion in another thread. I am middle aged and his jeans make me cringe. I'm not suggesting hipster jeans but .....
    Maybe you aren't a member of the demographic that he is trying to fire up :-P

Life, Liberty, Logic

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The sportcoat and jeans look great. Leave the kvetching about shoes and Armani suits to the folks running the Capitol page program.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    The sportcoat and jeans look great. Leave the kvetching about shoes and Armani suits to the folks running the Capitol page program.
    Ditto, I like the jeans and I like the "man coming over the hill singing" bit. In fact, I think he might have first introduced that line at the CAGOP convention last year. I'm not sure ive heard him use it in awhile, maybe he resurrected it in honor of his repeat showing there?

Maybe you aren't a member of the demographic that he is trying to fire up :-P

So you think young people respond to 80s jeans and a suit jacket? Assuming that is the demographic you are referring to.

There wasn't anything new though, just the same speech he's been doing, which is fine. Took a little bit of extra time to hammer Hillary. Nothing on ISIS or foreign policy. His delivery is good though, looks presidential, and he was very well-received. Still needs to nix that "man coming over the hill singing" though. Can someone please tell him to take that out of the speech and find a different way to close it out? lol
    I actually like when he doesn't say anything different and I can predict his speech based on principles. That happens 99% of the time. When he starts going off on tangents like "ISIS is a threat to the U.S." or "Israel xxx" that I'm like no Rand, no!
    Find liberty candidates to support:
    http://www.candidates4liberty.com

Still needs to nix that "man coming over the hill singing" though.
    Did Rand by any chance also use the line "The good news is your government is open, the bad news is your government is open?"

Yet, in all fairness, many of the people in the audience have never heard the speech previously, and those that have are mostly fans like us that have seen multiple toobs of his various speaking engagements.
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-21-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Did Rand by any chance also use the line "The good news is your government is open, the bad news is your government is open?"
    Yes, he did. But it was in the middle of the speech, he didn't open with it like he sometimes does.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Has anyone seen this guy before? Kind of reminds me of the "I'm a Rand Fan" guy back in 2010, but then again I'm not sure if he's serious or not or what his deal is.

Edit: Wow he's got a lot of content!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_...l62b6Q_BXDq7tA
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

So you think young people respond to 80s jeans and a suit jacket? Assuming that is the demographic you are referring to.
    Not necessarily. Maybe it's just people who want to see a candidate who doesn't conform to look like every other politician. Right now, pretty much anything that you do that separates yourself from the typical politician is a good thing.

Life, Liberty, Logic

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not necessarily. Maybe it's just people who want to see a candidate who doesn't conform to look like every other politician. Right now, pretty much anything that you do that separates yourself from the typical politician is a good thing.

How many other politicians wear jeans at all? I just suggested better fitting and more current. I wasn't suggesting designer jeans with rhinestones on the back pockets for crying out loud. Something like this that could be worn with a tie and the shape and darker colors would elongate his frame. .

As opposed to.

Jacket too long...jeans too wide...looks boxy and shortens him visually.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 09-21-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Jeans are fine IMO and I didn't think the man over the mountain line was that bad, first time I heard it.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    I didn't think the man over the mountain line was that bad, first time I heard it.
    Here's how we get it done (especially 1:10 - 1:15):

Last edited by anaconda; 09-21-2014 at 10:08 PM.

How many other politicians wear jeans at all? I just suggested better fitting and more current. I wasn't suggesting designer jeans with rhinestones on the back pockets for crying out loud. Something like this that could be worn with a tie and the shape and darker colors would elongate his frame.

As opposed to.

Jacket too long...jeans too wide...looks boxy and shortens him visually.
    The first pic doesn't even look like jeans...
    You might have a point though on the boxiness and shortening. I don't really have a problem with the color but in that pic they are very wide and do kind of make him look short, which is enough of a problem already.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by WD-NY View Post
    This. A thousand times this!

The point he's trying to make - that republicans need to be "happy warriors" - is a good/great one, but he needs to find a different/better way to present it.

I'm honestly surprised that Rand still uses the line - it's so completely cringeworthy to younger/ish voters that I just assumed that his college-aged son would at some point pipe up and say "dad, enough is enough - no mas!" Lol
    My thoughts exactly. Plus the "good news you're government's open, bad news your government's open" needs to be retired. That was OK for about 3 to 4 weeks after the govt. shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Here's how we get it done (especially 1:10 - 1:15):

Ha ha...this thread is starting to get funny...
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast