Thread: Nickelback - Edge of a Revolution

Nickelback - Edge of a Revolution

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't view the clip from here, but I'd be really surprised if Nickelback created anything "interesting".

Tagged for later.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Can't view the clip from here, but I'd be really surprised if Nickelback created anything "interesting".

Tagged for later.
    mmhhhh, its Nickelback. They got the V mask in the video a couple times. They blast the nsa and wallstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by FloralScent View Post
    Too bad their music sucks.
    People who rip Nickelback especially hard are so odd to me. They, typically, make pop music. Do you rip everyone who makes pop music? Do you rip Beyonce, or Taylor Swift, or Kanye, or Blink 182, or Fallout Boy, or Paramore, or KISS, or Bon Jovi, or anyone else you would ever hear on the radio?

They aren't especially bad. They're especially ordinary.

Oops! I... farted again!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    People who rip Nickelback especially hard are so odd to me. They, typically, make pop music. Do you rip everyone who makes pop music? Do you rip Beyonce, or Taylor Swift, or Kanye, or Blink 182, or Fallout Boy, or Paramore, or KISS, or Bon Jovi, or anyone else you would ever hear on the radio?

They aren't especially bad. They're especially ordinary.
    It is because they weren't trying to be pop, they were trying to be hard metal rockers.

i like this band. not sure whats so bad about them.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It is because they weren't trying to be pop, they were trying to be hard metal rockers.

I don't ever recall them trying to be metal. I always got the radio rock vibe from them (both in image and sound) from the first time I heard them, in what... 2001/2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

It's not metal, radio rock, pop rock, or anything else to do with rock music.

It's hard electric pop/country.

And there's no depth, artistry, or poetry to either the lyrics or the instrumentation. They just flat-out say what they mean and play the expected chords (for a country song).

They aren't bad musicians or performers, but they aim for the lowest common denominator, and they hit it.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

I don't understand the music elitism here.

I get the old finger waving for this one

and the hips too...

Anyway, who the $#@! cares if you like their music or not? I can't even believe that's brought up, considering the message of the song in the OP. I'd be praising Miley Ray Cyrus if she'd have done similar--though what the hell are the chances of that, or of the rest of the music industry for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post

and the hips too...

Anyway, who the $#@! cares if you like their music or not? I can't even believe that's brought up, considering the message of the song in the OP. I'd be praising Miley Ray Cyrus if she'd have done similar--though what the hell are the chances of that, or of the rest of the music industry for that matter?
    I think that the song is actually a good sign that the "Mainstream" is seeing where the temperament of the populous is going (at least in the demographics that they market to).

Like I said: Nickleback tries to hit the LCD, and if they think that this song will be popular (which they do, or else it wouldn't have been written/recorded, or had a video produced for it), then the rest of the entertainment industry will start to incorporate these ideas.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

I am proud of my spideysense. I knew there was something fishy about the arbitrary nethate against this band. 'Must be anti-war,' I says to myself.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Ya know there was a time when the underbelly of the internet got outraged at real douchebags like Westboro...
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    I think that the song is actually a good sign that the "Mainstream" is seeing where the temperament of the populous is going (at least in the demographics that they market to).

Like I said: Nickleback tries to hit the LCD, and if they think that this song will be popular (which they do, or else it wouldn't have been written/recorded, or had a video produced for it), then the rest of the entertainment industry will start to incorporate these ideas.
    If only it worked like that. The Establishment has their claws in the music industry like they do most things. Big labels are willing to sit on great songs if the message doesn't fit.

I naturally assumed Nickleback is past it, and that's the only reason they can get away with this. I notice the youtube only has 12K likes after two weeks. That's bad.

and the hips too...

That's the song that made people turn off the radio. They were playing it like 15 times a day, which might be OK for some formats, but not if it is being played alongside Godsmack, Disturbed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    I don't ever recall them trying to be metal. I always got the radio rock vibe from them (both in image and sound) from the first time I heard them, in what... 2001/2?

It's not metal, radio rock, pop rock, or anything else to do with rock music.

It's hard electric pop/country.

And there's no depth, artistry, or poetry to either the lyrics or the instrumentation. They just flat-out say what they mean and play the expected chords (for a country song).

They aren't bad musicians or performers, but they aim for the lowest common denominator, and they hit it.
    They have no business trying to do any of that in Drop-D tuning.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    That's the song that made people turn off the radio. They were playing it like 15 times a day, which might be OK for some formats, but not if it is being played alongside Godsmack, Disturbed, etc.

Is that a bad thing?

I had a thought the other day that the hate for Nickleback was manufactured by the music label heads to undermine the band and their subversive, anti-war, anti-state lyrics for deviating from the typical entertainment-soma for the masses.

/tin foil

Is that a bad thing?
    Not for a pop station.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    I had a thought the other day that the hate for Nickleback was manufactured by the music label heads to undermine the band and their subversive, anti-war, anti-state lyrics for deviating from the typical entertainment-soma for the masses.

/tin foil
    The hate has been there for a while. They don't really deviate, I think that's part of the problem people have with them. How to tell the difference between Nickelback and :

Last edited by CPUd; 09-17-2014 at 08:11 PM.

/tin foil
    I'm going to have to review their whole catalog now. Cheers

I'm going to have to review their whole catalog now. Cheers
    I have no idea what their catalog contains and I was just surmising that it was a common theme with their music. I don't listen to them. I don't listen to any one particular genre; I like it all. Save for studio manufactured pop and current auto-tune crap. That $#@! sucks.

I'll take a Frampton vocoder any day over T-Payne auto-tune

I have no idea what their catalog contains and I was just surmising that it was a common theme with their music. I don't listen to them. I don't listen to any one particular genre; I like it all. Save for studio manufactured pop and current auto-tune crap. That $#@! sucks.

I'll take a Frampton vocoder any day over T-Payne auto-tune
    Oh ok. I didn't know it was all about you.

Oh ok. I didn't know it was all about you.
    Lol. Well played.

I guess not everyone wants to be a rock star..?

I have no problem with NB. They have some catchy tunes that I've heard on the radio. I have a friend that I see once a year that's apesh!t over them, but I dont own any of their albums.

I've found myself revisiting music I enjoyed in high school. Mid-life is having its way with me and it aint so bad. What's really cool is almost all the music I'd listened to back in HS is still cool amongst the younger crowds, thanks to guitar hero. I still cant believe some of the obscure music that had made those games... Oh, GTA and Tony Hawk too.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Which is why its interesting. Nickleback is as mainstream as any of them. I think its a good sign!!!

I'm not a rock guy but even still Nickelback just isn't my style, even if the song is geared toward my political slant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

"lay down your soul to the gods rock `n' roll"