Thread: Obama wants $100K per rebel for training

Obama wants $100K per rebel for training

Sounds like Obama's stimulus programs. What do those cost? A million dollars per minimum wage job created?

Senator: Obama wants $100K per rebel

By Kristina Wong - 09/16/14

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) blasted the president's plan to train and arm moderate Syrian opposition forces against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria as Congress prepares for a vote to authorize it.

He said the plan, which would cost $500 million to train 5,000 rebels for a year, would essentially cost $100,000 per rebel.

"So that is $100,000 per person that we are supposed to do," he said at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday.
    "And when you start looking at what we've spent, almost $20 billion trying to build up a 280,000-person army in Iraq, and the first time they were tested, they turned tail and ran, turned over the arsenal that we equipped them with, now it's being used against us," he said.

"The only thing that I know that we are short of is that training and those weapons will probably be used against us at some time in the future if everything that has happened in the past," he added.

He also said the U.S. has spent enough money and lives in the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars.

"And then when you look at what we have done in that part of the world ... $1.6 trillion to date and growing; 4,400 lives lost in Iraq; 36,000 wounded; 2,200 lives in Afghanistan and 21,000 wounded," he said.
    "You can't sell this stuff. And no one believes the outcome will be any different," he said.
    House and Senate leaders are planning to attach a measure authorizing the plan to a spending bill lawmakers will likely vote on this week before they go on recess. Manchin said lawmakers should stay longer and debate the plan as a separate measure.
    More:
    http://thehill.com/policy/defense/21...l-says-dem-sen
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

So why is the U.S. arming and training terrorists? One would think they would have learned their lesson the last time they did that.

100k? what are they being trained to do? How to shoot golden AK47's with silver bullets to hunt werewolves?
    "The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
    - James Madison

'Per Rebel' in the Ukraine to fight the; Fascists, Nazis, Zionists, Globalists, & Banksters?

oh wait...
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Time to buy stock in Black Wat...er...Xe...no, wait ...Academi. That's the ticket.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Spend it while it's still worth something. Some people are getting stinking rich off this administration like never before seen.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Politico article makes reference the vote will happen tomorrow.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...99s-Syria-plan
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

No Doubt McCain will vote for it..

Damn! At $100,000 per head, one would think we could buy some really good kickass mercenaries for that price. Already trained and housebroken and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Damn! At $100,000 per head, one would think we could buy some really good kickass mercenaries for that price. Already trained and housebroken and everything.
    No those cost $250,000 / year each and we've already got 50,000 on payroll in Afghanistan

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

So, how does one become a rebel. I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    So, how does one become a rebel. I'm interested.
    https://www.academi.com/pages/careers

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

That's an awful lot to pay for someone who will probably turn around in a few months and shoot the guys who trained him.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh...those rebels. For a second I had thought that he had become a liberty president.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Ridiculous. I'd prefer that the government gave 5,000 U.S. citizens $100,000 each.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

It costs just over $20K to outfit a combat infantryman with body armor, night vision, and everything, including a PRC-126 radio.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.