Thread: Senator Seeks To End NFL's Tax Exempt Status for the Wrong Reason

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Senator Seeks To End NFL's Tax Exempt Status for the Wrong Reason

Social justice ransom.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-exempt-status

Congress has taken a special interest in the NFL in recent months, especially when the subjects of concussions, the Redskins name or Ray Rice's punishment have arisen.

In May of 2013, a bipartisan group of 10 members of Congress sent a letter to the NFL asking for the team and owner Daniel Snyder to consider changing the name, and last February, Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK) said they were considering ways to pressure the league to make it happen.

On Tuesday, Cantwell, the former chair of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, announced that she would introduce a bill into the Senate that would eliminate the NFL's tax-exempt status.

“The NFL needs to join the rest of Americans in the 21st century,” she said, via the Washington Post. “It is about right and wrong.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Hollywood was heading towards major economic losses ( not sure if karma for supporting foreign blood baths).
    NFL thought not an overtly neoconish entity, why it is exempt?
    When we have to choose between eating and taking the family to the moovees, I choose food. Especially when I can download their moovees at a later date for free. $#@!'um. That's what they get for trying to force feed me ObamaCare and gun control. It's not their movies. They're OUR movies, comrade. Free movies for everyone.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

I don't really think it would matter much.

The "NFL League Office" is tax exempt - but the 32 teams that make up the league do pay taxes.

The league office is just the administrative part of the NFL and they get their money from dues paid by the 32 teams.

The revenue earned from tickets and TV contracts and stuff is already taxed from the money given to the individual teams.

If the NFL League Office lost it's tax exempt status they would only be paying taxes on the money earned from the membership dues. The articles I saw list their new tax liability at about $10 million a year. But they'd be able to offset that with deductions that they don't currently qualify for.