Thread: Islamic State shoots down Syrian war plane -monitor group

Islamic State shoots down Syrian war plane -monitor group

Looks like these fkers got their hands on some anti-aircraft toys.

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Islamic State fighters shot down a Syrian war plane using anti-aircraft guns on Tuesday, the first time the group has downed a military jet since declaring its cross-border caliphate in June, a group monitoring the civil war said.

The plane came down outside Islamic State's stronghold of Raqqa city, 400 km (250 miles) northeast of Damascus, during air strikes on territory controlled by the group, a resident said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group which gathers information from a network of activists on the ground, reported five air raids on Raqqa on Tuesday. Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the organization, cited sources close to Islamic State as saying the plane had been shot down.

Further north Islamic State clashed with Kurdish fighters near Syria's border with Turkey, in fighting which killed dozens of people on both sides, the Observatory said.

The clashes took place outside the Kurdish city of Kobani, also known as Ain al-Arab, in an area where Kurdish fighters have been fighting off Islamic State attacks for months.

U.S. President Barack Obama last week authorized air strikes against Islamic State in Syria, potentially widening action against a group already being targeted by U.S. air strikes in Iraq.

The Syrian air force has been bombing Islamic State-controlled territory in the provinces of Raqqa and Deir al-Zor on a near-daily basis since the group seized the Iraqi city of Mosul in June.

Syria has offered to join a coalition the United States is assembling to fight Islamic State, but Western governments see President Bashar al-Assad as part of the problem and have ruled out the idea of such cooperation.
    http://news.yahoo.com/syrian-war-pla...090145583.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That may have been old-fashioned stuff, like those truck based heavy machine guns.
    If there's enough lead in the air the likelihood of an aircraft getting hit, even a fast jet, only increases.
    It does not have to be shoulder-fired heat-seeking missiles, if they had those wouldn't they have shot down more already ?

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    That may have been old-fashioned stuff, like those truck based heavy machine guns.
    If there's enough lead in the air the likelihood of an aircraft getting hit, even a fast jet, only increases.
    It does not have to be shoulder-fired heat-seeking missiles, if they had those wouldn't they have shot down more already ?
    Maybe or maybe they recently received some new toys? It's hard to imagine a machine gun being used to hit a jet that high up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    You are correct. They are called "heavy-machine guns"(at least in Croatia). They are not that hard to get or manufacture.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

I have to wonder when armies and rebels and terrorists and countries are slaughtering each other, if they ever stop to ask the question: WHY?

Don't adhere to my interpretation of religious texts? Die motherfucker!

Don't adhere to our way of life? Eat bombs motherfuckers!

Don't like the way I'm governing? $#@! you! You shall die!

Hey...this land belongs to US! Die you bastards!

I once heard a neoconservative say: Where there is Muslims, there is war.

I once heard a left-wing radical say: Where there is empire, there is war.

Once robots take over, they'll probably say: Where there is humans, there is war. "KILL THEM!"

EDIT: Where there ARE! Holy grammar.
    Last edited by pessimist; 09-17-2014 at 02:04 PM.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IS has had both AA guns and shoulder fired SAMs for quite a while now.

They also have been photographed with ballistic missiles and fighter jets and are know to have blackhawks.

Just a matter of time until they figure out how to use all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    IS has had both AA guns and shoulder fired SAMs for quite a while now.

They also have been photographed with ballistic missiles and fighter jets and are know to have blackhawks.

Just a matter of time until they figure out how to use all of them.
    Yes and next week they will have an air craft carrier. Then the week after that...

Everybody hide your kids!

After carefully considering all of this, it has been determined by the highest levels, that we immediately need to invade either Poland or Nepal.

Wonder if they got it from Benghazi?

Syrian Army is making nice gains of late, but u won't find that in any mainstream press as MIC wants more war.

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Wonder if they got it from Benghazi?

Syrian Army is making nice gains of late, but u won't find that in any mainstream press as MIC wants more war.
    Probably from the Qataris/CIA "unsavories."

Could be old anti-air weaponry.

Could be a bunch of bull$#@!.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by pessimist View Post
    Don't adhere to my interpretation of religious texts? Die motherfucker!

Don't adhere to our way of life? Eat bombs motherfuckers!

Don't like the way I'm governing? $#@! you! You shall die!

Hey...this land belongs to US! Die you bastards!
    It's not really that simplistic. You have people living between a rock and a hard place, they want peace, but in order to have peace the status quo must be enforced, the status quo however can be violent if you don't agree with it, so now they have to sell their morals.

Political, and religious differences are simply rhetoric... without actual concrete injustices you wont have people willing to die and fight their fellow man.
    “I'm real, Ron, I'm real!” — Rick Santorum
    “Congratulations.” — Ron Paul¹

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    You are correct. They are called "heavy-machine guns"(at least in Croatia). They are not that hard to get or manufacture.
    US airstrikes will need to enforce a strict no fly zone over all ISIL-controlled territories . . .

This is exactly why Rand is right - President BO needed to get Senate approval first for declaration of war v. ISIL
    instead of his unconstitutional airstrike campaign