Thread: Eating full-fat milk, cream and cheese CUTS risk of type 2 diabetes, study finds

Eating full-fat milk, cream and cheese CUTS risk of type 2 diabetes, study finds

Eating full-fat milk, cream and cheese CUTS risk of type 2 diabetes, study finds

By Madlen Davies

Eight or more full-fat dairy portions a day cuts risk of type 2 diabetes by 23%
    High-fat fermented milk - found in yoghurts or full-fat milk - cuts risk by 20%
    People who consume 30ml of cream cut their risk by 15%
    Those who ate lots of meat increased their risk, regardless of fat content
    In fact, the risk of developing diabetes increased with lower fat meats
    Expected by 2030 there will be 4.6 million people diagnosed with diabetes

High fat dairy products such as cream, full-fat milk, yoghurt and cheese can actually reduce the risk of developing diabetes, according to a new study.

Swedish researchers found that people with the highest consumption of high-fat dairy products - eight or more portions a day - have a 23 per cent lower risk of developing the condition than those who eat one portion or less per day.

However they also found eating a lot of meat - especially low-fat forms - increased the risk of type 2 diabetes.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IT should be noted though:
    In a statement, Dr. Richard Elliot, Diabetes UK research communications manager, says: "This study adds to research which suggests that different sources of fat in the diet affect the risk of type 2 diabetes in different ways. However, this does not mean that adding high-fat dairy products to your diet will actively help to protect against type 2 diabetes, and we would not recommend this.

"Consumption of dairy products can form part of a healthy diet, but it’s important to be aware of the amount you consume, as they can be high in calories, which can contribute to becoming overweight, and therefore increase your risk of type 2 diabetes. More research will be needed before we change our advice that the best way to reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes is by maintaining a healthy weight through increased physical activity and a balanced diet that is low in salt, saturated fat, and sugar, and rich in fruit and vegetables."
    http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/2...dairy-diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It should be noted that calories have nothing to do with gaining weight - carbs cause people to gain weight, not fat. It should also be noted that dairy does have some carbs in the form of lactose.

The best way to get dairy fat is using grassfed butter.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It should be noted that calories have nothing to do with gaining weight - carbs cause people to gain weight, not fat. It should also be noted that dairy does have some carbs in the form of lactose.

The best way to get dairy fat is using grassfed butter.
    So a McDonald's Double Cheese Burger would be considered diet food? Big Mac your way thin? (The Atkins diet which started the carbs craze also recommended low fat sources of protein).

(the article did say that eating more meats increased the risk of type two diabetes).

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.

So a McDonald's Double Cheese Burger would be considered diet food? Big Mac your way thin? (The Atkins diet which started the carbs craze also recommended low fat sources of protein).
    H2O, H2O2, more oxygen is better, right?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Just from personal experience, I easily lost a lot of weight after childbirth and do not cut back on fats at all. Full-fat milk, butter, I use animal fats...good stuff.

Maybe it depends on your genetics, but I can't imagine that much from McD's is good for anyone.

I dunno... my cardiologist said I shouldn't be eating animal fat. I guess I could flip a coin and live with diabetes or die from a heart attack. So far, I don't have diabetes but my heart is kinda plugged up. Now if I get diabetes, I guess I'll have to live with both it and a plugged up heart.

(the article did say that eating more meats increased the risk of type two diabetes).
    First off the meat from McDonald's is questionable--probably more soy than meat anyway. And the cheese is processed and not the kind of cheese you want to eat.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I consider a burger very high carb due to the bun. Wrap it in lettuce and eat all you want especially if it's grassfed.

There is probably a correlation with eating meat and lots of carbs compared to dairy eaters in that study.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-16-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    First off the meat from McDonald's is questionable--probably more soy than meat anyway. And the cheese is processed and not the kind of cheese you want to eat.
    Actually they stopped using pink slime, the angus burgers have MSG but the regular burgers are beef, salt, pepper. I doubt the quality of the cows is very high, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Actually they stopped using pink slime, the angus burgers have MSG but the regular burgers are beef, salt, pepper. I doubt the quality of the cows is very high, though.
    I think you missed the latest news about pink slime making a comeback--even though McDonald's says they will not use it <wink-wink>:

'Pink slime' is back and headed for your burger

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/13/news...es/pink-slime/

MSG is a real problem too. It, in of itself causes diabetes. Lot's of people will also get a diet coke to help wash the food down too. Yeah McDonald's--no thanks.

Two Toxic Food Additives Common in Diet Foods May Cause Diabetes

A new study using mice as models showed that two additives often put in everyday foods to enhance flavor and reduce calories can actually cause an increase in fasting blood glucose levels, and contribute to the onset of diabetes. The toxins in this startling new study are aspartame and monosodium glutamate (MSG), and the evidence is stacked against them both.

The research showed that aspartame alone can cause an increase in fasting blood glucose levels and reduced insulin sensitivity. But when the two additives get together, they become partners in crime and cause an elevation in both weight and fasting glucose levels.

This is the first study ever to show the hyperglycemic effects of chronic exposure to a combination of these common food additives. Indeed, the consumer must exercise caution, as many mass-market foods contain both aspartame and hidden MSG – the perfect combination for diabetes development.

Researchers noted:

"Aspartame (ASP) and Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) are ubiquitous food additives with a common moiety: both contain acidic amino acids which can act as neurotransmitters, interacting with NMDA receptors concentrated in areas of the Central Nervous System regulating energy expenditure and conservation."
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-diabetes.aspx
    Last edited by donnay; 09-17-2014 at 08:28 AM.