Thread: The war on ISIS already has a winner: The defense industry

The war on ISIS already has a winner: The defense industry

It’s far too soon to tell how the American escalation in the sprawling, complex mess unfolding in Iraq and Syria will play out. But this much is clear: As our military machine hums into a higher gear, it will produce some winners in the defense industry.

New fights mean new stuff, after all. And following the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan—and the belt-tightening at the Pentagon imposed by steep budget cuts—military suppliers are lining up to meet a suddenly restored need for their wares. Presenting his vision for expanding the confrontation with the terrorist group ISIS in a speech to the nation on Wednesday night, President Obama outlined a program of intensified airstrikes designed to keep American troops away from the danger on the ground. So defense analysts are pointing to a pair of sure-bet paydays from the new campaign: for those making and maintaining the aircraft, manned and unmanned, that will swarm the skies over the region, and for those producing the missiles and munitions that will arm them.

“The drone builders are going to have a field day,” says Dov Zakheim, who served as Pentagon Comptroller during the George W. Bush administration. That could mean a tidy profit for privately held General Atomics, maker of the Predator drone, the granddaddy in the category and still widely in use, as well as the second-generation Reaper, designed to carry 3,000 pounds worth of bombs. And to help survey vast expanses of desert, the military will rely on the Global Hawk, made by Northrop Grumman NOC 0.45% to hover at altitudes as high as 50,000 feet for up to four days at a time. Those vehicles will likely be making use of the Gorgon Stare. This sensor, developed by privately held Sierra Nevada, is capable of scoping a 4-kilometer diameter by filming with nine cameras.

Indeed, the widening conflict could even reverse the trend of tapering investments in the technology, says Mark Gunzinger, a retired Air Force colonel and former deputy assistant secretary of defense now at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. “One of the things that can help a new capability break through is an operational stressor, like a major air campaign,” he says.

Smaller players in the space will also get in on the action: Zakheim called out AeroVironment AVAV 1.60% , which manufactures unmanned aerial vehicles small enough to be launched by hand—including the Nano Hummingbird, made to look like its namesake and similarly diminutive, weighing less than a couple of double A batteries. And Jason Gursky, an analyst who covers the industry for Citigroup, identified DigitalGlobe DGI 1.25% , a satellite company whose biggest business is selling non-classified digital imagery to federal agencies. The military will use that range of surveillance capability to pinpoint targets as it broadens its mission.

It is the munitions makers, however, who stand to reap the biggest windfall, especially in the short term. Topping that list is Lockheed Martin LMT 0.67% , producer of the Hellfire missile, a precision weapon that can be launched from multiple platforms, including Predator drones. Raytheon RTN 0.73% , which makes the Tomahawk, a long-range missile launched from the sea, and General Dynamics GD 0.36% , which also has a munitions business, are also well-positioned, analysts say.

“The most obvious cases are what I would call the boots, beans, and bullets trade,” says Ronald Epstein, a Bank of America analyst, pointing to “the guys with shorter backlogs.” That is, shipbuilders can’t expect much work from this conflict, but those supplying the ordnance American forces are already churning through should see new orders. Gunzinger notes that “small diameter bombs could be a huge winner, since aircraft can carry more of them in a single sortie—and they have very accurate seekers, so they can strike targets with less potential for collateral damage.” Tally up another advantage for Raytheon’s product line, among others.

American military operations targeting ISIS have cost some $600 million since mid-June, with the U.S. now spending more than $7.5 million a day on the conflict by the Pentagon’s own accounting. Zakheim estimates that this figure could conceivably double as the operations intensify and the theater widens to Syria, with a significant chunk of the expenditures going to munitions.
    read the rest here:

http://fortune.com/2014/09/13/defens...-against-isis/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ISIS
    ISUS
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    ISIS
    ISUS
    You know, President Obama refers to them as ISIL. As do other officials.

To keep referencing them as ISIS places them into "God"like company. I wish people would stop doing this.

That's probably all I have to say about that.

Of course, it still baffles me how 10,000 or so terrorists can control two entire countries the way that they seemingly do. Doesn't realistically seem possible. Well...not in the real world.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-15-2014 at 05:55 PM.

And the central banks...

not just for the new loans but there may also be new central banks established that will tie in with their global network...

and all captured for them on someone else's dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

To keep referencing them as ISIS places them into "God"like company. I wish people would stop doing this.

You forgot the sarc tag. Anyway, you might find this interesting...

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4508223/isis

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    You forgot the sarc tag. Anyway, you might find this interesting...

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4508223/isis
    Heh. I was Sirius as a heart attack.

I've seen that other thing around here in another thread, though.

Of course, it still baffles me how 10,000 or so terrorists can control two entire countries the way that they seemingly do. Doesn't realistically seem possible. Well...not in the real world.

I still can't get over the footage of them parading around waving flags for the camera's. AND then the footage showing up like it does on the news.

It's like someone is putting it together that has absolutely no respect for the intelligence of the people they are duping.

P.S. Not that I don't believe there are legitimate people with grievances there over things like the droning that is taking place. Certainly should be many here also.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I still can't get over the footage of them parading around waving flags for the camera's. AND then the footage showing up like it does on the news.

It's like someone is putting it together that has absolutely no respect for the intelligence of the people they are duping.

Yeah, this is the real nuts and bolts of it. I agree with you. This is exactly what is happening. But the wonderful thing is that the people who are the intended audience can, very simply, say NO! They can reject it. And it's the beauty of only really needing about 2% to cause change because the other 98% won't say anything. It's why the model actually works. Everyone is just going along with it. Or, to be clear, the 2% who usually ask the questions are running with the meme. It's a wreck.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-15-2014 at 06:19 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This sensor, developed by privately held Sierra Nevada
    The brewery should sue them for defamation as well as trademark infringement!
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

ISIS
    ISIL
    USIL

Fixed.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Preview of tonights Colbert

I don't know, but this sure sounds like the scary historical continuation of the same 4 separate counts indictment against the Nazis at Nuremberg:

1.) THE COMMON PLAN OR 'CONSPIRACY TO WAGE WAR'
    2.) CRIMES AGAINST PEACE 'FOR INVADING COUNTRIES WITHOUT PROVOCATION'
    3.) WAR CRIMES 'FOR MALTREATING, TORTURE, & KILLING OF CIVILIANS'
    4.) CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY 'COVERT HOLOCAUST AGAINST CIVILIANS & GOVERNMENTS THROUGH INTENTIONAL TERRORISM'
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran