Thread: Obama: Assad Shooting At American Planes Would Lead To His Overthrow

Obama: Assad Shooting At American Planes Would Lead To His Overthrow

And the plan is complete. I hope you part-time interventionists are happy. You let the media turn your fear of ISIS lead to this. Played like a fiddle.

US President Barack Obama delivers a live televised address to the nation on his plans for military action against the Islamic State, from the Cross Hall of the White House in Washington September 10, 2014.

President Barack Obama would seek to overthrow the regime of Bashar al-Assad if American planes were attacked upon entering Syrian air space, Peter Baker of The New York Times reports .

If Assad's troops fired at American planes entering Syrian airspace, "Obama said he would order American forces to wipe out Syria’s air defense system," Baker reports. "He went on to say that such an action by Mr. Assad would lead to his overthrow, according to one account."

On Wednesday, Obama announced that he had authorized US airstrikes in Syria while laying out a four-part strategy to "destroy" and "eradicate" radical ISIS militants who have captured roughly a third of Syria and a third of Iraq.

Since August, US warplanes have backed Iraqi soldiers, Kurdish peshmerga fighters, and Iranian-backed Shia militiamen as they attempt to roll back ISIS gains in Iraq.

Baker, who spoke with 10 people who spoke to the president leading up to his speech on Wednesday, writes that Obama " struck his guests as less certain about the endgame on the Syrian side, where he has called for Mr. Assad to step down and must now rely on the same moderate Syrian rebels he refused to arm in the past."

Syrian rebels associated with the Western-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) have scoffed at Obama's plan, saying that it rushes to target ISIS while ignoring Assad.

"I don't really understand this sudden fuss about ISIS," one FSA fighter told The Guardian. "They killed people, but Bashar has been killing for the last three years. But nobody seems to be interested in that anymore."

Opposition fighters note that simply bombing ISIS will not stop the criminal army and that a comprehensive plan is needed to deal with both ISIS and Assad.

"Instead of bombing ISIS from the air, we need support inside Syria to fight. It's the only way," Mohammed Al Bakhour, 31, a senior commander of an Aleppo-based FSA battalion, told the Guardian . "Once Assad is gone, we'll deal with ISIS ourselves."
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-...lkA1ZJUDQ5OV8x

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What if we shoot down one of our own planes and blame it on Assad, does that count?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What if we shoot down one of our own planes and blame it on Assad, does that count?
    I would say yes it would. OR we give the rebels anti-aircraft weapons and they shoot down our airplanes. Whatever it takes to remove Assad right?

Played like a fiddle indeed. Assad has always been the goal, but me thinks Putin will have none of it. Assad and Putin are BFFs and Putin has a vested interest in Assad maintaining power, not to mention Russia's port there.

This does not end well.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I wonder how many planes do we plan to lose?

Not our airspace. Not our business.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm expecting it to go down like this. Our precision guided munitions start "malfunctioning" and hitting Assad's forces. Assad's anti-aircraft radar starts targeting U.S. planes. The mere targeting of the planes is seen as an act of war.....and....well....you can guess the rest.

How convenient that a year his plan to topple Assad was rejected a little terrorism snake oil makes everything a-ok.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I wonder how many planes do we plan to lose?

Not our airspace. Not our business.
    Well I'm sure there are some friendly businessmen lining up to sell some new ones..

I do think it is an interesting question wether Assad will shoot at foreign aircraft, wherever you are on the rest of the debate. I really don't know, shooting them down is probably suicide, not-shooting probably only delays it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Obama is going to bomb Assad's forces like he planned to a year ago, IS is simply the excuse manufactured for this purpose when the original excuse (false flag chem attack) failed to produce the desired result.

All that matters is the planned pipeline from Qatar to Turkey. Keep your eye on it.

Hypofuckingcritical!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Why wouldn't Assad shoot down a foreign warplane in the airspace of his sovereign country?

Obama sending them is an act of war.

This is bad, real bad. This could end with a proxy war with Russia at best and WW3 at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Why wouldn't Assad shoot down a foreign warplane in the airspace of his sovereign country?

This is bad, real bad. This could end with a proxy war with Russia at best and WW3 at worst.
    Could you imagine Putin saying "Based on intelligence we are going to make some surgical strikes within the United States of America. Any attempt to down our planes will lead to Obama's overthrow."

Lol. He should.. then wink at the camera and go wrestle a crocodile.

I doubt Putin can help much. NATO is currently at their front door in Ukraine and I don't see how he can send the ships and subs to Syria like he did last year with NATO hanging out in the neighborhood. The warmongers have this planned well. This will blow up in all our faces.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    I doubt Putin can help much. NATO is currently at their front door in Ukraine and I don't see how he can send the ships and subs to Syria like he did last year with NATO hanging out in the neighborhood. The warmongers have this planned well. This will blow up in all our faces.
    Putin could take Ukraine in a week if he wanted to. NATO couldn't stop him if they wanted to. Hint, they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Could you imagine Putin saying "Based on intelligence we are going to make some surgical strikes within the United States of America. Any attempt to down our planes will lead to Obama's overthrow."

Lol. He should.. then wink at the camera and go wrestle a crocodile.
    Lol, that'd be hysterical.

Putin could take Ukraine in a week if he wanted to. NATO couldn't stop him if they wanted to. Hint, they don't.
    Maybe the eastern side of Ukraine but the western half would put up resistance against a Russian occupation. The warmongers would LOVE for Russia to do that as that gives them an excuse to rally the troops for moar war!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To be devi'ls advocate,it is not easy to build support for US invasion of a foreign country considering current debt, airport gropes, militarized police states situations... without any incidence like above that swc drone outlined.

Clinton aide's idea: Let Iraq shoot down US plane
    http://www.salon.com/2010/10/15/clin..._shelton/Salon
    Oct 15, 2010 - A new book says a cabinet member proposed letting Saddam kill an American airman as a pretext for war.

us jets over iraq attack own helicopters in error; all 26 on ...
    http://www.nytimes.com/.../us-jets-o...ack-own-...The New York Times
    Apr 15, 1994 - In a deadly military blunder, American fighter planes shot down two United ... jets enforcing the no-flight zone over northern Iraq mistook the aircraft for Iraqi ... At a televised news conference today, President Clinton expressed "terrible ... off limits to Iraqi aircraft in 1991, after the end of the Persian Gulf war.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    China is also allied with Syria.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Well why wouldn't he ? I don't think these guys, the government of Syria, is that stupid. They would of course have all the rights to shoot at foreign aircraft (non civilian) that are in their airspace, especially when they are striking within their borders. I do think however that up to a certain point they will 'let this happen', as long and only as long as these strikes actually target ISIS. Which is a very fine line. Mistakes will be made at some point though but I don't think the first violation of Syrian airspace is going to do that.

Interesting:
    Syria's Deputy Foreign Minister: We're 'Fighting the Same Enemy'
    Mekdad openly expressed support for airstrikes on Syria — an option detailed by President Barack Obama in an overnight speech — by saying his administration has “no reservations whatsoever.”

But he said cited the need for logistical coordination with the U.S. before any airstrikes so “there should be no mistakes,” and said “it is a must” for Obama to call Assad.

When it came down to international law, Mekdad was most concerned about Obama’s plan to arm rebel groups in Syria.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isi...-enemy-n201136
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-16-2014 at 03:34 AM.