Thread: Found a great place to purchase glasses without prescription

Thumbs up Found a great place to purchase glasses without prescription

http://www.goggles4u.com/

Just tried them for the first time and had a great experience and wanted to spread the word. Placed order Sep 3, arrived Sep 13 for $9.89 shipped (includes lenses, frames, and case) by USPS. That's a promo they're doing for your first pair - $9.90 shipped (you have to go to their page and enter your email and they'll send you the promo code). If you don't an astigmatism or anything, the only number you need to know for how powerful a lens you need is "ODSPH" (such as -3.50). You might have an expired prescription that tells you that (if you have any contact lenses it might be printed on the packaging), and if you feel you need something a bit more powerful since your last purchase you might want to change the number a bit (for reference, -3.50 is more powerful than -3.00). If you have no idea, you might as well get an eye exam and get a prescription while you're at it, but regardless of whether you have a prescription or not this store is cheap and good and I highly recommend them based on my first experience. Order was shipped from California

For disposable contacts, I've been using this place for years:
    http://www.1-save-on-lens.com/
    I don't order often (I did do a recent order though) but have always been very satisfied. If I recall, if you do $100 worth of business they ship the order free and is definitely worth your while (if you want to test the waters with your first order though for a lower amount, go right ahead)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How is this not illegal? You can't take antibiotics without a presciription, which could kill you if you need them and cant get them, but you can buy glasses without one... which you're probably going to wear while driving?

Very little about living in the US makes any sense to me anymore.

But OT if this existed 5 years ago I might not have gotten PRK.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    How is this not illegal? You can't take antibiotics without a presciription, which could kill you if you need them and cant get them, but you can buy glasses without one... which you're probably going to wear while driving?

Very little about living in the US makes any sense to me anymore.

But OT if this existed 5 years ago I might not have gotten PRK.
    I think it's "grey market" but these stores are lax on enforcement (I believe one is Canadian owned) but are you saying it should be illegal? That's not very libertarian of you if so. I can see where you're coming from though - if you wear the wrong glasses and only put yourself at risk, that's one thing but if you wear the wrong glasses and someone is injured/killed as a result, that's another. On the other hand:

1) Just because someone has an eye prescription doesn't mean they automatically put on their glasses/contacts when they go driving
    2) Just because someone has an eye prescription doesn't mean they even drive at all
    3) Forcing people to get prescriptions before they can buy glasses/contacts may actually cause them NOT to buy them even if they need/want new ones (that would be me - for years I'd been wearing prescription glasses that were hanging by a thread and not as strong as I'd prefer, though the grey market contacts I'd been buying were fine. It was the the prescription roadblock that held me back from getting new glasses until I found this store. Now I'll likely buy several more spare pairs to keep in the car, travel bag, office, etc).

It's up to you to choose the correct strength just like it's up to you to choose you own size clothes or reading glasses. In a 100% free market, you'd be able to choose from a variety of ready made distance glasses at the store without even having to order them and there could be either an automatic machine or person to assist you to find the correct strength (like when measuring your shoe size).

I don't think there is any legal requirement to have a prescription to get glasses but without a prescription the maker doesn't know how the glasses should be made so you can see properly with them.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I think it's "grey market" but these stores are lax on enforcement (I believe one is Canadian owned) but are you saying it should be illegal? That's not very libertarian of you if so. I can see where you're coming from though - if you wear the wrong glasses and only put yourself at risk, that's one thing but if you wear the wrong glasses and someone is injured/killed as a result, that's another. On the other hand:

1) Just because someone has an eye prescription doesn't mean they automatically put on their glasses/contacts when they go driving
    2) Just because someone has an eye prescription doesn't mean they even drive at all
    3) Forcing people to get prescriptions before they can buy glasses/contacts may actually cause them NOT to buy them even if they need/want new ones (that would be me - for years I'd been wearing prescription glasses that were hanging by a thread and not as strong as I'd prefer, though the grey market contacts I'd been buying were fine. It was the the prescription roadblock that held me back from getting new glasses until I found this store. Now I'll likely buy several more spare pairs to keep in the car, travel bag, office, etc).

It's up to you to choose the correct strength just like it's up to you to choose you own size clothes or reading glasses. In a 100% free market, you'd be able to choose from a variety of ready made distance glasses at the store without even having to order them and there could be either an automatic machine or person to assist you to find the correct strength (like when measuring your shoe size).
    If your eyesight is poor enough to fail the eye exam at the DMV, it will be noted on your DL that corrective lenses are required. I got pulled over once and the cop asked me about it, because I had contacts in at the time.

Also, if you have astigmatism, it affects how they cut the lenses.
    Last edited by CPUd; 09-15-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks! I'm ordering a pair for my son for back ups, he's hard on his glasses.

Luckily, I only need readers.

If you're not too concerned about looking stylish you can get them at The Dollar Tree for a buck. It seems like they only have 2 styles though, hipster for men and naughty librarian for women.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Luckily, I only need readers.

If you're not too concerned about looking stylish you can get them at The Dollar Tree for a buck. It seems like they only have 2 styles though, hipster for men and naughty librarian for women.
    I had to get readers at 52, what a humbling experience, more so than going bald or gray....

C'est la vie eh?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I think it's "grey market" but these stores are lax on enforcement (I believe one is Canadian owned) but are you saying it should be illegal?
    No, hell no!
    I'm trying to point out how ridiculous it is to make it illegal and very difficult to get antibiotics and other medication without prescription, when you can get glasses without a prescription.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I had to get readers at 52, what a humbling experience, more so than going bald or gray....

C'est la vie eh?
    I don't really give a $#@!. I look mahvelous in my naughty librarians.

Trust me tod evans, between that awesome beard and the pipe no one notices your glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't really give a $#@!. I look mahvelous in my naughty librarians.

Trust me tod evans, between that awesome beard and the pipe no one notices your glasses.
    I only put 'em on to read small print, they make me dizzy otherwise...

Get an eye exam if you have not had one in several years or need to tweak up correction
    strength and want to get it all right with one try.

I use Zenni Optical's website... it's like $7 a pair for frames and lenses...
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I don't think there is any legal requirement to have a prescription to get glasses but without a prescription the maker doesn't know how the glasses should be made so you can see properly with them.
    Well look at this article I came across today (though about contacts, not glasses):
    http://reason.com/blog/2018/12/14/ft...non-pr#comment
    A California-based online retailer has been ordered to pay a penalty of $60,000 for selling non-corrective, purely cosmetic contact lenses without first obtaining prescriptions for the non-prescription products.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) says Lawrence Duskin repeatedly violated the agency's Contact Lens Rule, which stipulates that retailers can sell contact lenses only after obtaining a copy of a valid prescription or otherwise verifying the consumer's prescription with the physician who issued it. The rule applies even to non-corrective lenses like the ones Duskin had been selling through a variety of online costume shops since at least 2014. The commission initially fined Duskin $575,000—the largest fine ever issued for a violation of the Contact Lens Rule—before suspending all but $60,000 of the penalty, conditioned on Duskin complying with a variety of record-keeping and administrative requirements.