Thread: Toxic foods and chemical additives cause massive inflamation — arthritis, gout, fibromyalgia

Toxic foods and chemical additives cause massive inflamation — arthritis, gout, fibromyalgia

Toxic foods and chemical additives cause massive inflamation — arthritis, gout, fibromyalgia

by JB Bardot

Certain foods and chemical additives disguised as food can aggravate or cause muscle and joint pain associated with arthritis, gout and fibromyalgia. Avoiding these foods can pave the way for reduced inflammation, stiffness and pain – setting the stage for ongoing relief, with increased mobility and a better mental attitude. Although it may be a challenge to avoid well-loved foods, keep in mind that many of those foods are causing widespread systemic problems that result in debilitating pain, so they are not your friends.

Nightshade Vegetables

The nightshade vegetables are lesser-known offenders; however, for some people, eating any nightshade can cause excruciating pain and disability. This small family of vegetables contains a natural substance called solanine; when consumed, it can produce severe pain in the joints and the soft tissue, giving rise to arthritis and fibromyalgia flare-ups. The nightshades include tomatoes, peppers, white potatoes, eggplant and tobacco. Because several of these vegetables are included in so many recipes, special attention must be given to eliminating them from the diet. Smokers suffering from arthritis might view the possible cause and effect relationship of tobacco on their condition.

Purine-laden Proteins

Purines are the byproduct of protein digestion, and they break down into uric acid, the main cause of gout. All proteins produce some purines; however, eating certain types of protein is more likely to create a gout flare. Red meats, organ meats and shellfish are considered particularly harmful. Some people are more sensitive to one protein, so each should be monitored for its effects on the disease. Vegetable-based proteins, lean organic poultry and fresh fish are excellent substitutes for those foods eliminated.

Wheat and Gluten

Wheat and wheat gluten are implicated in several diseases, including certain types of arthritis, fibromyalgia, and digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s and celiac disease. Wheat and gluten are especially harmful to the body when highly processed, as in white flour where nutrients are completely stripped from the grain. Less sensitive people are able to eat sprouted wheat products without negative effects; however, eating a gluten-free diet may help reduce most painful joint symptoms.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gout is horrible. OMG you never want to experience Gout.

That's a pretty good short article. I don't have any problem with red meat, though, and I eat quite a lot of it. It's a good source of protein, and cheaper/more quickly absorbed than whey powder(IMO). @donnay-do you suppose that my high activity level has something to do with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    That's a pretty good short article. I don't have any problem with red meat, though, and I eat quite a lot of it. It's a good source of protein, and cheaper/more quickly absorbed than whey powder(IMO). @donnay-do you suppose that my high activity level has something to do with that?
    Being active helps lower the uric acid levels and keeps the joints moving. Drinking lots of purified water with lemon or a tablespoon of ACV w/MOTHER helps to keep the uric acid down. Tart cherries also lower uric acid levels as well. I also believe eating grass-fed beef is much better choice than factory farmed beef.

As an added bonus; Turmeric helps stop inflammation and relieves the pain of arthritis and gouty arthritis.

A study done in China and published in 2009 (Insights into the inhibition of xanthine oxidase by curcumin) states that turmeric has been shown to inhibit chronic inflammation, so it may help gout suffers because it can reduce the activity of xanthine oxidase, the enzyme involved in the production of uric acid. The pain caused by gout can be relieved. This is the same action that allows allopurinol, Uloric (febuxostat) and similar drugs to lower uric acid. Studies examining the role of turmeric in the treatment of gout are lacking but more research has been done with turmeric and rheumatoid arthritis which is a cousin of gout. This opens the door to more research into commercial products that hopefully will soon be available to gout sufferers.

In another study, 107 patients with osteoarthritis were given 800mg Ibuprofen or extracts of turmeric of 2 grams daily for 6 weeks. At the conclusion of the study, both groups of patients suffered from less pain when walking or climbing stairs. I’d rather choose turmeric over ibuprofen too, way better on the stomach. So curcumin is a safe and efficient way to treat gout and/or tophi by easing the pain and swelling since curcumin is a powerful anti-inflammatory. A 2006 study UA College of Medicine done on mice, found that turmeric is able to slow down rheumatoid arthritis and in another study completed by the University of Arizona, the mice were induced with rheumatoid arthritis and then given turmeric, showed that this treatment reduced swelling and inflammation of the mice’s joints. Curcumin inhibits the production of prostaglandins which are related to pain. Turmeric can also help the adrenal gland produce greater levels of cortisone and this can relieve inflammation in gout. By lowering inflammation and oxidative stress, uric acid gets lowered.
    http://goutandyou.com/gout-and-turmeric/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Studies Show Traditional Chinese Medicine TCM Cures Gout

Studies Show Traditional Chinese Medicine TCM Cures Gout

by JB Bardot

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) encompasses Chinese herbal remedies, acupuncture, and other lesser-known modalities to treat a wide variety of diseases including gout. Chinese medicine is thousands of years old, and well-respected worldwide as an alternative to conventional Western medicine. According to acupuncturist and TCM practitioner Simon Becker, a clinical study conducted by Zhang Ming and Tiao Rong [in China] comparing the efficacy of Western gout treatments with Chinese herbs for gout indicated the outcomes of “…both treatment groups receiving Chinese medicinals and the control group receiving standard Western medicines was essentially equal (94.2 percent vs. 94 percent) The only notable difference between the two groups was that the control group which received the Western medicine suffered from many side effects, whereas the treatment group did not”. According to Becker, Chinese herbs are free of dangerous side effects when used under proper supervision by a knowledgeable natural health care practitioner.

Ermiao wan

A study published in the 2004 Journal of Ethnopharmacology reports how the Chinese herb Ermiao wan reduces swelling and edema; and, is being used in China to treat gout patients and those with hyperuricemia, or elevated uric acid levels. This herb is available from Chinese herbalists and practitioners and should only be used under the supervision of a qualified Doctor of Oriental Medicine.

Meadow saffron

Meadow saffron produces the alkaloids colchicine and colchicoside, both possessing analgesic and diuretic properties that relieve gout pain, inflammation and edema, or water retention around affected joints. Colchicine is also found conventional pharmaceutical drugs for gout treatment. Patients taking colchicine in any form must be carefully supervised by a knowledgeable health practitioner due to its level of toxicity.

Continued...

Thanks for the OP and those health tips above!

For me, I've noticed a 100% link between eating wheat = increased joint pain / gut unhappiness showing up within the next few days.

I'm also thinkn' I'm linking my (former!) occasional HFCS consumption binges with kidney stone flare-ups.
    Me thinks it does not flush 'em out, no matter how much I drink, it creates them!

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Thanks for the OP and those health tips above!

For me, I've noticed a 100% link between eating wheat = increased joint pain / gut unhappiness showing up within the next few days.

I'm also thinkn' I'm linking my (former!) occasional HFCS consumption binges with kidney stone flare-ups.
    Me thinks it does not flush 'em out, no matter how much I drink, it creates them!
    You're welcome.

As far as Kidney Stone flare ups have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar w/MOTHER? It's great for people with high uric acid levels. (just haven't been able to convince my husband though.)

References:
    http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple...kidney-stones/
    http://www.undergroundhealth.com/is-...ence-says-yes/

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    ...haven't been able to convince my husband though...
    lol, ...say wut?

Why bother with any gentle "convincing" when KIDNEY STONES SPEAK (VERY LOUDLY) FOR THEMSELVES!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

by JB Bardot

Purines are the byproduct of protein digestion, and they break down into uric acid, the main cause of gout. All proteins produce some purines; however, eating certain types of protein is more likely to create a gout flare. Red meats, organ meats and shellfish are considered particularly harmful. Some people are more sensitive to one protein, so each should be monitored for its effects on the disease. Vegetable-based proteins, lean organic poultry and fresh fish are excellent substitutes for those foods eliminated.

Not necessarily true. Garbanzo beans (chick peas / hummus) are about the worst thing you can eat if you have gout. So is asparagus... Beer... There seems to be countless other vegetable based proteins which are horrible for gout. Yet you might be able to have some kinds of beef without any issue... Of course, everyone is different. If you have gout, the first thing to do is find out if your an over producer or under excreter. The doctor will have to do a blood and urine test (24 hour test) to determine how much you are producing relative to how much your kidneys are dumping.

Ironically, even physical activity can trigger gout by damaging the body's protective isolation membrane around urate crystals (shock), and the dehydration (change in body chemistry).

http://www.icuredmygout.org

The site above may no longer be in service, but if you have normal blood pressure and do not take meds, you may be able to "buffer" your blood by consuming small frequent doses of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), for a week or 2. If you can alter your body's chemistry to be a little more alkaline, you can counter the urate, and help prevent urate stones in the kidneys, as well as formation in the joints or areas of poor circulation. Bear in mind, while changing the body's alkalinity, one can trigger a gout attack as crystals dissolve and urate levels rise in the blood stream.

Last, but not least, regular hot water foot baths (not so hot your feet turn bright red, but nice and warm), or soaking joints in moist heat for 20 minutes can help prevent attacks. If you spend a lot of time on cold floors, concrete or wood, you might want to invest in some high quality wigwam wool hiking socks. They're expensive, but they breathe well, and will keep your tootsies comfortably warm.

Videodrome is right, gout is no fun at all.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Not necessarily true. Garbanzo beans (chick peas / hummus) are about the worst thing you can eat if you have gout. So is asparagus... Beer... There seems to be countless other vegetable based proteins which are horrible for gout. Yet you might be able to have some kinds of beef without any issue... Of course, everyone is different. If you have gout, the first thing to do is find out if your an over producer or under excreter. The doctor will have to do a blood and urine test (24 hour test) to determine how much you are producing relative to how much your kidneys are dumping.

Ironically, even physical activity can trigger gout by damaging the body's protective isolation membrane around urate crystals (shock), and the dehydration (change in body chemistry).

http://www.icuredmygout.org

The site above may no longer be in service, but if you have normal blood pressure and do not take meds, you may be able to "buffer" your blood by consuming small frequent doses of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), for a week or 2. If you can alter your body's chemistry to be a little more alkaline, you can counter the urate, and help prevent urate stones in the kidneys, as well as formation in the joints or areas of poor circulation. Bear in mind, while changing the body's alkalinity, one can trigger a gout attack as crystals dissolve and urate levels rise in the blood stream.

Last, but not least, regular hot water foot baths (not so hot your feet turn bright red, but nice and warm), or soaking joints in moist heat for 20 minutes can help prevent attacks. If you spend a lot of time on cold floors, concrete or wood, you might want to invest in some high quality wigwam wool hiking socks. They're expensive, but they breathe well, and will keep your tootsies comfortably warm.

Videodrome is right, gout is no fun at all.

Hmm...I didn't know about chick peas being one of the culprits of gout. Asparagus, I did know about. Alcohol can definitely trigger gout.

I have heard that eating peanuts can trigger a gout attack--that includes peanut butter.

I have read that if you start getting twinges of pain due to gout, you should lean more towards a vegetarian diet for a week or so.

Hmm...I didn't know about chick peas being one of the culprits of gout. Asparagus, I did know about. Alcohol can definitely trigger gout.

I have heard that eating peanuts can trigger a gout attack--that includes peanut butter.

I have read that if you start getting twinges of pain due to gout, you should lean more towards a vegetarian diet for a week or so.
    I've heard the same thing about peanuts - I guess there's a good chance that if you enjoy it, it will cause a gout attack LOL.
    If you start to feel tightness, almost a mildly restrictive movement in a gout joint, that's a very early warning sign of an attack - about the earliest you can get. There are also uric acid blood meters you can get - I have no experience with those, and I understand that uric acid levels aren't always a good indicator of acute attacks.

Slightly unrelated, but another surprising one - Pepto! Bismuth subsalicylate suppresses the kidney's ability to excrete uric acid, and can cause a gout attack by causing an immediate spike in uric acid levels.

An interesting interaction - I'd brought up the sodium bicarbonate to a doctor once - she shrugged me off with a smile and a quick exit from the room - while I was still talking. LOL. Best shrug-off I've had in a while.

Gulag Chief:

Severe gout is probably the main reason I had to retire from my extremely physical job.
    Since then,I have had a much worse diet (used to have a cook),drink way more beer,take way less gout medicine and have far fewer and less severe gout flareups.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I've heard the same thing about peanuts - I guess there's a good chance that if you enjoy it, it will cause a gout attack LOL.
    If you start to feel tightness, almost a mildly restrictive movement in a gout joint, that's a very early warning sign of an attack - about the earliest you can get. There are also uric acid blood meters you can get - I have no experience with those, and I understand that uric acid levels aren't always a good indicator of acute attacks.

Slightly unrelated, but another surprising one - Pepto! Bismuth subsalicylate suppresses the kidney's ability to excrete uric acid, and can cause a gout attack by causing an immediate spike in uric acid levels.

An interesting interaction - I'd brought up the sodium bicarbonate to a doctor once - she shrugged me off with a smile and a quick exit from the room - while I was still talking. LOL. Best shrug-off I've had in a while.
    Also try to ACV w/MOTHER every morning in your water. You can also use the ACV as a poultice on the inflamed area. A warm castor oil compress is great also. Lemon water is the best thing to drink throughout the day to help keep the uric acid levels down.

Thanks Donnay. I always find your threads interesting.

I'd read about cider vinegar, and lemon, but I had not tried those options. I've done the cherry juice - tastes awesome, but it wasnt as effective for me as the baking soda. The baking soda was so potent that after 4 days I started bringing on an attack - from feet/ankles/legs, to my wrists/finger joints, and in my lower back. I had mild joint pains for nearly a decade that I had assumed were occupational. I now know that it was gout - funny how hind sight really is 20/20. Of course I was still equipped with some prescription meds, in case things go out of hand, so I rode out the treatment for another 4 days. I kept my jug of water close by, and things cleared up miraculously.

I was originally prescribed allopurinol. I did not like the way it made me feel at all. Despite being told not to, I quit taking it after 4 days or so. I was also given a steroid which was nothing short of fk'n awesome - 20 minutes and an ace bandage to compress the swelling, and you're damn near up and walking again. Again though, side effects/potential side effects are worse than the ailment. Still, my attack lasted for 9 days - I thought I'd had a nasty stress fracture in my foot. I'm hardly what I used to be, but being a former runner, I just lived with the extreme pain for a week, figuring I'd over done it or was getting old. Finally, after being completely immobilized, I figured I'd have to get a cast to properly heal, and that's when the doctor said - you gots za gout! All my uncles and my grandfather have the "disease of kings too"... I should have known.

I was fortunate that after I was diagnosed, I was able to find an effective remedy that was readily available. I've not had an attack for almost 2 years, although I must admit that is due mostly to my awareness of the disease, and not treatment alone. I now know the signs, and the causes, and I typically don't ignore them. My only real concerns are long term - I'll have the doc run some blood tests to make sure. Plus, it will give me a chance to spout off about politics or home remedies - you know, set'n more brushfires.

Gulag Chief:

If you are doing cherries you must make sure it is the tart cherries--tart red Montmorency are the best. If you are doing the sweet cherry juice it may contain HFCS. HFCS aggravates gout. Also to stop chronic inflammation (and pain) use Turmeric in your food.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...naturally.aspx

My Mom used to get gout regularly until she cut waayyy back on bread. I thought it was all the wine she drinks but when she cut back on the bread the gout went away - her wine consumption has remained steady and doesn't seem to aggravate her gout.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My Mom used to get gout regularly until she cut waayyy back on bread. I thought it was all the wine she drinks but when she cut back on the bread the gout went away - her wine consumption has remained steady and doesn't seem to aggravate her gout.
    Could be the reason why beer affects gouty arthritis in people too. I am also researching the connection between Candida and gout and there seems to be a real link.

Could be the reason why beer affects gouty arthritis in people too. I am also researching the connection between Candida and gout and there seems to be a real link.
    She used to have biscuits everyday for breakfast and a sandwich or lunch when my dad was alive and she was constantly battling gout. Now she only has bread every once in awhile and the gout has gone away. That's really the only dietary changes she's made.