Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebola is Spiraling Out of Control

Ebola is Spiraling Out of Control

THE lucky ones are admitted to a health centre. They arrive bleeding, in taxis, on foot, in wheelbarrows and sometimes in ambulances. Mostly there is little help available and patients are dying alone, lying on the ground and lucky to receive even palliative care.

[]

By some estimates 12,000 people have been infected with Ebola so far.
    http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...ing-treatments

"increasing exponentially"

"spreading like wildfire, devouring everything in its path"

"the rate of acceleration is now picking up dramatically"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...rias-collapse/

there could be something different about this strain of Ebola that makes it more contagious
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/wo...nst-ebola.html

They found more than 300 genetic changes in the virus. "It's frightening to look at how much this virus mutated within just three weeks,"
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

researchers at various universities say that at the virus’s present rate of growth,
    there could easily be close to 20,000 cases in one month,

not in nine.
    Dr. Shaman’s research team created a model that estimated the number of cases through Oct. 12, with different predictions based on whether control of the epidemic stays about the same, improves or gets worse. If control stays the same, according to the model, the case count by Oct. 12 will be 18,406. If control improves, it will be 7,861. If control worsens, it will soar to 54,895.

Before this epidemic, the largest Ebola outbreak was in Uganda from 2000 to 2001, and it involved only 425 cases.

The deadly Ebola outbreak sweeping across three countries in West Africa is likely to last 12 to 18 months more, much longer than anticipated, and could infect hundreds of thousands of people before it is brought under control, say scientists mapping its spread for the federal government.
    [IMG]http://static01.********/images/2014/09/13/world/EPIDEMIC-1/EPEDEMIC-1-master675.jpg[/IMG]

health-care workers have fled; hospitals and clinics are closed.
    http://www.providencejournal.com/new...inst-ebola.ece
    Last edited by presence; 09-13-2014 at 09:55 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's very hard to catch. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's very hard to catch. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    That book chronicles the 1989 outbreak of Ebola Reston, which was transmitted among monkeys by breathing. In 2012, Canadian researchers found that Ebola Zaire, which is involved in the current outbreak, was passed from pigs to monkeys in the air.
    http://fox6now.com/2014/09/12/ebola-...-could-happen/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Not pretty.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Here's what you do: get outta the way and let nature run it's course.

This may sound inhumane, but intervening and bringing that $#@! back here would be even worse.

2 hours and very worth watching. It's probably responsible for some of the quotes in the OP...

http://www.c-span.org/video/?321282-...ebola-epidemic

-t

Different strain in Liberia? Different conditions?

Last edited by presence; 09-14-2014 at 08:33 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That scares the crap out of me!

I keep trying to +rep you on this thread and the system keeps telling me I have to spread some rep around....

can anyone cover me?

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    That scares the crap out of me!

I keep trying to +rep you on this thread and the system keeps telling me I have to spread some rep around....

can anyone cover me?

-t
    Covered.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Wow,

Is this coming to America?

Thought it was just a bad cold at first.
    Puked a few times, then got the brown shtz and eventually died instead of receiving help.

Happened while waiting for some trickle-down fiat prosperity (or those green shoots) that the economic hitman kept promising.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Wow,

Is this coming to America?
    You are not going to like the answer...

20% Chance Of Ebola In USA By October; 277,124 Global Cases By Year-End, Model Predicts
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...model-predicts

(lots clipped - click through)

As another epidemiolgist (and federal advisor) - Dr. Michael T. Osterholm of the University of Minnesotta - warns:

I’ve spent enough time around public health people, in the US and in the field, to understand that they prefer to express themselves conservatively. So when they indulge in apocalyptic language, it is unusual, and notable.

When one of the most senior disease detectives in the US begins talking about “plague,” knowing how emotive that word can be, and another suggests calling out the military, it is time to start paying attention.
    There are two possible future chapters to this story that should keep us up at night.

The first possibility is that the Ebola virus spreads from West Africa to megacities in other regions of the developing world. This outbreak is very different from the 19 that have occurred in Africa over the past 40 years. It is much easier to control Ebola infections in isolated villages. But there has been a 300 percent increase in Africa’s population over the last four decades, much of it in large city slums…

The second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus could mutate to become transmissible through the air… viruses like Ebola are notoriously sloppy in replicating, meaning the virus entering one person may be genetically different from the virus entering the next. The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.
    And finally, as Wired reports, the professor extrapolates:

In a worst-case hypothetical scenario, should the outbreak continue with recent trends, the case burden could gain an additional 77,181 to 277,124 cases by the end of 2014.

^^^^That was the optimistic version...

Ebola victims could total 1,000,000 within 12-18 weeks
    http://www.decodedscience.com/ebola-...18-weeks/49301

(lots clipped, click through)

Could U.S. involvement spur a global movement to assist in West Africa? The reproduction of ZMAPP requires tobacco plants to reproduce enough implanted ebola antibodies/proteins to generate enough antibodies to generate enough vaccine to control the ebola outbreak. The next batch to treat the West African outbreak will be ready in December 2014. What will the ebola outbreak look like by then?

The 2014 Ebola Outbreak is fully out of Control

Each ebola victim generates at least one other ebola victim. The doubling time for ebola infections is now down to 4 weeks.

Within one month the doubling time will be 7 days. The current number of ebola victims – over 2200 – will double to 4,000 in one month, then to 8,000 and then 16,000 as we reach a 7-day doubling time.

Taking into consideration the addition of more beds, more medical assistance, and the availability of ZMapp to the West African ebola victims, the doubling time may not increase as quickly. With an outpouring of aid from the global community, the ebola outbreak may require 8 weeks to reach a seven-day doubling time.

When we do reach the 7 day critical doubling time, however, it’s a short interval to reach a million victims – this could happen within 12 to 18 weeks from now.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 09-16-2014 at 09:35 AM.

So much for "homeland security." Between the diseases being imported from the south, and now Africa, it looks like the great culling has begun.

Obama To Send 3,000 Ebola-Fighting Boots-On-The-Ground To Africa; CDC Warns America "Now Is The Time To Prepare"
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...ow-time-prepar

The president will visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta on Tuesday to show his commitment. The stepped-up effort he will announce is to include 3,000 military forces and a joint forces command center in Monrovia, capital of Liberia, to coordinate efforts with the U.S. government and other international partners.

The U.S. response to the crisis, to be formally unveiled later by President Barack Obama, includes plans to build 17 treatment centers, train thousands of healthcare workers and establish a military control center for coordination, U.S. officials told reporters.
    [...]
    Obama's administration has requested an additional $88 million from Congress to fight Ebola, including $58 million to speed production of the ZMapp experimental antiviral drug and two Ebola vaccine candidates.

Officials said the Department of Defense had requested to reallocate $500 million in funds from fiscal 2014 to help cover the costs of the humanitarian mission.
    [...]
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warning hospitals and doctors that “now is the time to prepare,” has issued a six-page Ebola “checklist” to help healthcare workers quickly determine if patients are infected.
    [...]
    "Every hospital should ensure that it can detect a patient with Ebola, protect healthcare workers so they can safely care for the patient, and respond in a coordinated fashion,” warns the CDC.

“While we are not aware of any domestic Ebola Virus Disease cases (other than two American citizens who were medically evacuated to the United States), now is the time to prepare, as it is possible that individuals with EVD in West Africa may travel to the United States, exhibit signs and symptoms of EVD, and present to facilities,” it adds.
    No way to prevent that, eh? $#@!ing Africa and its filthy bush meat. Blame the "do-gooders." Dead Aid indeed.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-363663.html

Shikwati: ... Local farmers may as well put down their hoes right away; no one can compete with the UN's World Food Program. And because the farmers go under in the face of this pressure, Kenya would have no reserves to draw on if there actually were a famine next year. It's a simple but fatal cycle.

SPIEGEL: If the World Food Program didn't do anything, the people would starve.

Shikwati: I don't think so. In such a case, the Kenyans, for a change, would be forced to initiate trade relations with Uganda or Tanzania, and buy their food there. This type of trade is vital for Africa. It would force us to improve our own infrastructure, while making national borders -- drawn by the Europeans by the way -- more permeable. It would also force us to establish laws favoring market economy.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I played this game called Plague Inc, where your goal was to eliminate life on earth by infecting everyone. Basically, you start by picking a country. Just one person. Then you control what your selected disease does by evolving it and giving it genetic traits like airborne or immune to cold or hot. As you infect more people and countries, you earn DNA points that you can use to evolve your pathogen. Of course, countries get some defenses. All they can do is to close down airports, shipping lanes, and close borders. They can try to cure you too. The last line of defense is to close off their land borders. The games are quick and dont take too long, like solitaire. It constantly asks the question "what do you think would happen in real life", of course, it introduces a Zombie virus and ALZ113 which starts the Planet of the Apes.

Real Life... and closing Land Borders is gonna do anything? I just think of how many illegals we have here and what a complete and total joke Land Borders are. I swear the borders work better in the game than they do in real life. And just like unemployment and the economy, the numbers they spoon feed us are so superior they push the limits of ridiculus.

There is a point to all this. I swear everything Govt says or does validates its existence. So many people are dependant on Govt for everything that Dependancy itself has been weaponized. If there is a "Great Culling" of useless eaters (I have heard that term before), rest assured every form of Weaponization will be used to wipe us out. Starvation will be weaponized. Debt has been weaponized because it can lead to starvation. Even medicine has been weaponized. By denying a person access to health care, it becomes a weapon and a tool of either control or culling. Dependancy has been weaponized. The further down this path we go, the more I swear that the chilling words of "Great Culling" seem more and more probable. Still very Conspiracy Theory sounding, but it does give one cause to ponder if we may in fact be destroying ourselves by our very nature.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Ebola hearing and presumably Obama announcement starting on c-span3 shortly.

-t

Ebola hearing and presumably Obama announcement starting on c-span3 shortly.

-t
    Working through the Defense Department, the United States will plan and construct treatment centers that could house up to 1,700 additional beds. With a U.S. general leading the effort from Monrovia, American military personnel in the region could increase by 3,000, administration officials say, under the name Operation United Assistance.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/16/health/obama-ebola/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@! - c-span3 hearing just started.

anyone youtubing obama?

-t

Ebola>ISIS

I think it's entirely reasonable the international community is helping to stop this outbreak. It is without a doubt a danger to the entire human population.

$#@! - c-span3 hearing just started.

anyone youtubing obama?

-t

Up until last month CSPAN was free online. Now CSPAN LIVE coverage is behind a paywall I've yet to figure out how to hack
    Last edited by presence; 09-16-2014 at 03:22 PM.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Ebola>ISIS

I think it's entirely reasonable the international community is helping to stop this outbreak. It is without a doubt a danger to the entire human population.
    I don't see how they can stop it. Reminds me of that movie Outbreak except people won't just drop dead..they will incubate and infect, then bleed out, unless they are fortunate enough to survive. We can't even stop MSRA in hospitals or bedbugs in hotels.

Movie: Resident Evil - Umbrella Corp Logo.
    (Their "Secret BASE IS UNDER Raccoon City)

Will the US military ever be ordered to nuke a U.S. city (or two)
    in order to "contain" one that's already got the bug raging out of control?

Found these on another site, data is baed on WHO information, projections put together by the poster.

“…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Up until last month CSPAN was free online. Now CSPAN LIVE coverage is behind a paywall I've yet to figure out how to hack
    well that sucks.

archives are still free and usually go up within 24 hours.

-n

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29256443
    excerpts:
    Ebola outbreak: Guinea health team killed

Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers using machetes and clubs in Guinea, officials say.

they arrived in the village of Wome - in southern Guinea, where the Ebola outbreak was first recorded.

A journalist who managed to escape told reporters that she could hear villagers looking for them while she was hiding.

A government delegation, led by the health minister, had been dispatched to the region but they were unable to reach the village by road because a main bridge had been blocked.

'Killed in cold blood'

On Thursday night, government spokesman Albert Damantang Camara said the victims had been "killed in cold blood by the villagers".

The bodies showed signs of being attacked with machetes and clubs, officials say.

Six people have been arrested and the village is now reportedly deserted.

The motive for the killings has not been confirmed, but the BBC's Makeme Bamba in Guinea's capital, Conakry, says many villagers accuse the health workers of spreading the disease.

Others still do not believe that the disease exists.

Sierra Leone begins three-day shutdown to contain Ebola outbreak

People confined to their homes with only essential workers exempt, while volunteers go door to door handing out soap

Freetown theguardian.com, Friday 19 September 2014 04.12 EDT

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ebola-outbreak

The motive for the killings has not been confirmed, but the BBC's Makeme Bamba in Guinea's capital, Conakry, says many villagers accuse the health workers of spreading the disease.
    From their point of view, it would certainly seem so. There's a sort of chicken-and-egg thing going on. You see the increase of death all around you and all these foreign health workers showing up. Not to mention the military escorts. It's not a leap of logic that they would start to believe they are being summarily extinguished.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    ...$#@!ing Africa and its filthy bush meat. Blame the "do-gooders." Dead Aid indeed.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-363663.html
    Finally, it's not just me talking about the "aid" link to Ebola.

Want To Hurt the Tragic Continent?
    Send more foreign aid to Africa
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/10/w...gic-continent/

Poverty is not a cause but a result of Africa’s problems. What African countries need the West cannot provide. They need personal liberty. That means a political system in which there are guarantees of private property rights, free markets, honest government and the rule of law. Africa’s poverty is, for the most part, self-inflicted. Some people might disagree because their college professors taught them that the legacy of colonialism explains Third World poverty. That’s nonsense. Canada was a colony. So were Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. In fact, the richest country in the world, the United States, was once a colony. By contrast, Third World countries such as Ethiopia, Liberia, Nepal and Bhutan were never colonies, yet they are home to some of the world’s poorest people.
    [...]
    With but few exceptions, most African countries are worse off now than they were during colonialism, both in terms of standard of living and in terms of human rights protections. Once a food-exporting country, Zimbabwe recently stood near the brink of starvation. Sierra Leone is rich in minerals — especially diamonds — has highly fertile land and is the best port site in West Africa, but it has declined into a state of utter despair. Africa is the world’s most natural-resources-rich continent. It has 50 percent of the world’s gold, most of the world’s diamonds and chromium, 90 percent of the cobalt, 40 percent of the world’s potential hydroelectric power, 65 percent of the manganese, and millions of acres of untilled farmland, as well as other natural resources. Before independence, every African country was self-sufficient in food production; today many depend on imports, and others stand at the brink of famine.

Though there’s a strong case for us to help with the Ebola crisis, the worst thing Westerners could do to Africa would be to send more foreign aid. Foreign aid provides the financial resources that enable Africa’s grossly corrupt and incompetent regimes to buy military equipment, pay off cronies and continue to oppress their people. It also provides resources for the leaders to live lavishly and set up “retirement” accounts in foreign banks.
    Shikha Dalmia on how Western Aid Contributed to West Africa's Ebola Epidemic
    http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/28/sh...rn-aid-contrib

How? By breeding a dependence mentality that has prevented these counties from generating their internal institutional defenses to deal with public health emergencies.
    [...]
    Like Ebola, excessive aid corrodes the body politic from the inside by breeding unaccountable rulers and undermining governance.
    Flashback:

The Continuing Failure of Foreign Aid
    by James Bovard
    http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa065.html
    Last edited by Lucille; 10-28-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Hooboy.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Your title is missing a key component. Here, let me fix:

"Ebola is Spiraling Out of Control in Africa"
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast