Thread: Mark Sanford Calls Off Engagement

Mark Sanford Calls Off Engagement

That's too bad. I don't think it was a good idea to bare his soul on fedbook about it: https://www.facebook.com/RepSanfordS...80140345529087

I had no idea he gave her everything she asked for, plus she has full custody, and that's still not enough. She is really vindictive.

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned,
    Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."
    --William Congreve

http://reason.com/24-7/2014/09/12/sc...governor-calls

It was his children or bride-to-be.

Rep. Mark Sanford has called off his engagement with his Argentinian fiancée, claiming he was forced to choose between her or his children.

"I cannot do this anymore," the former South Carolina governor announced in an emotional Facebook post Friday that blamed his bitter ex-wife whom he was sensationally caught cheating on for his decision.

"No relationship can stand forever this tension of being forced to pick between the one you love and your own son or daughter, and for this reason Belen and I have decided to call off the engagement," he said of Maria Belen Chapur, whom he proposed to in 2012 after their affair was exposed in 2009.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep, that's why Robin Williams killed himself.

I said from the beginning that relationships are very complicated and just because one person cheats doesn't mean the other person is completely innocent, in fact you can do worse things to your partner that can drive them to cheat. I don't know enough details here to make a judgement one way or another, but that is sort of the point I'm making.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Agreed, dannno. Though I made a judgement early on that she was a real ball-buster.

Re baring his soul on FB, this is his reason:

Finally, Jenny and her lawyer also go on to ask me to undertake an array of programs and evaluations, each one more riveting than the next. As a public figure people have seen me over twenty years in the highs and lows and most trying of times, and if I was plagued by the afflictions they suggest wouldn’t people have seen me mad or angry by now? In simplest form I don’t understand how I can be elected by a wide array of folks at home to attempt to represent their interests in Washington, but if the Plaintiff’s view was to prevail, be required to take psychiatric and psychological evaluations to be with our youngest son. Posing those sorts of questions is destructive plain and simple, and in fairness to my friends in the media if those type questions are raised they will report them – which is why you have been subjected to reading this response and media accounts.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

What?!

No?!

Who could have predicted it?!

By the way, Sanford is running unopposed in the November election!

Guess Sanford always feels a need to publicly defend himself.

There are very few people over a certain age who do not understand exactly what is going on here. No need for public explanations. People either go through their own divorces, or have friends or family that do. What is happening to Sanford is far too common, and often it is lawyers who advise for the most underhanded of actions.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

On the one hand, I feel sorry for him because I do think men often get the short end of the stick in divorces. I do think the majority of them think like Sanford, if I don't fight - things will be smoother.

I'm here to tell you NOW men... if you find yourselves in this situation, whether self made or not, fight in the beginning. Get visitation with your kids to the maximum that you can right up front, because this is what you'll find by being the "nice" one. Lawyers love ex's that enjoy being doormats.

In his case though, because of his guilt and public face, I'm sure it compounds it.

On the OTHER hand, as someone who absolutely LOVED Mark Sanford politically back in 2003/2004 and was convinced he'd be President someday, I feel just as much betrayed as Jenny. When he cheated on her, he cheated on this nation. We NEEDED him in the White House and he was so perfectly lined up to be going there.

The fact that he and his mistress are still only engaged versus already married, just makes me think even more that the woman (*cough* an Argentinian journalist) was designed to be just what she is - a stop to his political career. If his ex-wife is saying that he can't have women around that he's not married to, fine - then MARRY her. Since he has decided to call off the engagement instead, leads me to believe that either he doesn't love her enough to commit or she won't commit.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Sanford's ex-wife is a vicious %$%$. I think she has handled herself very poorly. I wish more conservatives would be enthusiastic about Mark Sanford and stand up for him. He was a great governor and is a great congressman.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.