Thread: Recommend to me a good power washer.....

Recommend to me a good power washer.....

So my pressure washer of two years crapped out. Troy-Bilt 2700 psi. It's the pump. Was deciding to try and fix it myself (about $120 total in parts for valve assembly and new unloader valve ) or simply buy a new pump (about $180). Went by Lowes in the morning before going to a clients on Weds. Noticed a used/refurbished pressure washer (Troy-Bilt 3000 psi for $224). So I think "great." Get it. After work Weds. I come home and try it out. Engine will not start. At all. So. This morning I go back to Lowes looking for satisfaction. I lay out my case and complain. End up getting a 20% off deal on an upgraded model. A Briggs and Stratton 3000 psi power plus 5 GPM. Bring it home. Me in the honey decide to have a Cool Hand Luke moment on our cars with the new pressure washer. Damn engine bogs down when pump is engaged. Brand new. Straight out of the box. Every manufacturer suggestion adhered to. Washed her car and half of my truck before it gave up the ghost. Am I a mad pup? Betcher ass. Spoiled a good Cool Hand Luke evening. Nice sticker on the back of the machine. "MADE IN AMERICA." Underneath in smaller print reads "Of US and GLOBAL parts." I'm thinking it might have been the "GLOBAL" parts that had something to do with it. ARRRRRGH!!!!!!!!

North Western tool has a 3000 psi Powerhouse on sale for $349 (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6583_200606583). Friend bought one six years ago and it hasn't failed him. Anyone have a favorite pressure washer suggestion? I'm done with Troy-Bilt.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 09-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Simpson
    What particular model and why?

What do you need?

I have a cheap electric one that's under 1500 psi that you can get for about 100 or a bit more if you watch for sales. For me, it does what I need it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    What do you need?

I have a cheap electric one that's under 1500 psi that you can get for about 100 or a bit more if you watch for sales. For me, it does what I need it to do.
    Gas. 2500-3000 psi. Cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What particular model and why?
    Any in their industrial line, depends on what you're doing with it which one..

Because they're still made right here, they're dependable and if they break you can get parts in a day....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Any in their industrial line, depends on what you're doing with it which one..

Because they're still made right here, they're dependable and if they break you can get parts in a day....
    The one that would meet my requirements would probably be this one http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...her/p6598.html.

I'm not wanting to spend $1k. Just want to do my cars, decks and siding with an occasional side job for decking or concrete (less than 100 hrs. per year).

I sorted for 3100 PSI+ http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=5405714011

The Simpson model does come up first, and it's cheaper on Amazon. If you want it, I still have Amazon prime and could help you out by getting it shipped free.

Read the reviews carefully, you can usually tell which ones are fake vs. real.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damn engine bogs down when pump is engaged.
    Pumps usually fail moreso because of improper use than mechanical defect.

Its my expectation that one of the following is your issue:

Sediment in your water
    Air in your water
    Too low inlet pressure
    Too high inlet pressure
    Clogged inlet filter
    Inconsistent inlet pressure
    Inadequate inlet flow rate
    Failure to lubricate at each use

Just like if you run 2 refrigerators on one 15 amp circuit... you're gonna kill the compressors; you have to provide a pressure washer with CLEAN FLOW.

If you're on a well and you have a typical 40/60 or 30/50 well switch, that range (especially with a small well tank) can be overwhelming for some pressure washers pumps; you may need to install a regulator so your domestic pressure is constant or increase your well tank size to deal with your appliance. Pumps like to be oiled before every use and like consistent flow of air free, sediment free water at moderate and steady inlet pressure. Consider your pipe size coming to your spigot. 3000 PSI pressure washers like full port spigots and they like 3/4 piping back to the pressure tank or city supply.

Plumber; one of my clients owns a commercial self serve car wash with a dozen hot water pressure washers. Incoming water is regulated, filtered to 20 micron, auto air released, pumps are oiled daily, and filters are changed often.

In nearly all instances, pressure washer pump failure is the result of improper installation or operation rather than normal wear.
    http://www.xterior.com/pumprepair.html
    Last edited by presence; 09-11-2014 at 09:31 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

How much power do you need?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Just in case you're still looking, I just saw this offer going on right now from Menards for just 3 days, online only, for a 3000 psi washer for just $179, marked down from $379.
    http://www.menards.com/main/p-2356992-c-10113.htm

Just wanted to follow up.

Decided to just order a Briggs universal.

http://www.amazon.com/BRIGGS-UNIVERS.../dp/B00545MU72

Had to add some washer for spacer. Didn't bother reversing the inlet and outlet as it works fine out the rear. Thanks presence for your input. I knew my system was up to par even being a well pump. I plumb it that way.

Dunno. This pump fired right up. More pressure (100 psi but noticeable) and washed the truck without a hitch. Longevity remains to be seen.

Reps all around. Even Danke.