Thread: Can I face an animal abandonment charge?

Can I face an animal abandonment charge?

This is a strange story, so please bear with me. When I married my wife, she had two dogs, one of which (named London) she had picked up from an animal rescue shelter since it had been a bait dog owned by dog fighters. Recently, I was hit with a pay reduction due to lack of business (private sector...obviously); my wife works for Cricket Wireless which was bought by AT&T, and she was notified that she would be laid off in October. Because of this, we recently moved in with my parents until my wife finds another job.

My parents have a dog, so we could not bring my wife's dogs, particularly since London is aggressive toward other large dogs. My wife tried to make arrangements for friends or family to temporarily watch the dogs until we move out again. In desperation, my wife made contact with her crazy aunt whom she had a falling out with (long story). In any case, the aunt took both dogs, but owns three dogs of her own, including a large one that did not seem to get along with London. It wasn't a great situation, since the crazy aunt's house is the most disgusting dwelling I had ever seen and I'm surprised it hasn't been condemned...it's really that bad!

Anyway, my wife tells her evil mother and evil sister about the state of the house, and apparently the sister went to snoop around. The evil sister called my wife today saying that London was bitten by the other dog, and that she would call the city unless my wife takes the dog immediately. Since my wife was at work, she stated that she would pick up the dog afterward. However, the evil sister called animal control and the dog was taken. Apparently, the evil sister made a report that the dog was running loose (which was false...the sister is evil and spiteful) and had waited with the dog for animal control a few streets down from the crazy aunt's house.

Of course, it's put upon me to sort things, since I had taken part of the day off in order to take my daughter to some appointments. I call animal control and they refer me to the SPCA. When I call the SPCA, I had to leave a message with my name and number. When they returned my call they stated that I would need to pay $75 in order to claim the dog. If a dog isn't claimed in five days, it is put up for adoption. Since we obviously could keep the dog at crazy aunt's house, I asked about adoption possibilities, but stated that London is aggressive toward other dogs. I was informed that there are special shelters but I would have to claim the dog and interview with the SPCA in order to get the dog accepted into a shelter. The problem is that we must turn in the keys to our apartment on Sunday, so I could only keep the dog until then. So I asked what would happen if I simply didn't claim the dog, as unclaimed dogs are put up for adoption after five days. The lady told me that since she had spoken with me, then they would have to file a charge of animal abandonment. I stated that I'm pretty much forced into that position since we simply cannot keep my dog's wife, and that I was just trying to do what is right by the dog in order to ensure that the dog isn't euthanized.

My wife wants them to keep the dog now, and the evil sister called the SPCA in order to say I was mistaken. But since they only have my name and number associated with the dog, they would likely give my information to animal control, nevermind the fact that it isn't even my $#@!ing dog. So what should I do, and could I potentially be charged with animal abandonment?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Craigslist ad the dog.

I have a dog. He was a stray, I can't keep him. He's great at such an such... Not good with my other dogs.
    I'm bringing him to a kill shelter unless
    I get a phone call by the end of the day. Here's a cute picture:
    24 hours later somebody comes and picks up the dog. You shake hands, say thank you, then come back here and thank me.
    Last edited by presence; 09-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The lady told me that since she had spoken with me, then they would have to file a charge of animal abandonment.
    That sounds like bull$#@! to me. So they file an animal abandonment charge on everyone who brings in a dog?

I'd definitely go with Presence's suggestion above.

Otherwise I'd go claim the dog and put him down yourself somewhere to eliminate the possibility of the animal police from hitting you with fines or criminal charges.

I know this doesn't really answer your main question, but the sad truth is that everyone is subject to ridiculous charges when they get tangled with any level of authoritah. Especially now given your unfortunate work situation, I'd avoid the shelter and those who are threatening you like the plague.

i'm a dog lover, but when it comes down to it the most responsible thing you can do is handle the business quietly if nobody comes to adopt.
    No - No - No - No

I would drop off the evil Mother in Law , crazy Aunt , evil sister and all the dogs at the shelter , pay the fee.

You probably won't like any solution I give you. I'm a dog lover and have always had boxers. My poor dog now has prostate cancer and will probably be dead within a year. Dogs have short lives. Putting it to sleep is not that big of a deal in the long run if you can't find a new owner.

It's worth it to try craigslist, facebook (if you're on it), etc.

Listing it on CL is a good way to condemn it to being a bait dog again. If my only choices were to give it away on CL or have a vet put it down, I'd choose the latter unless I knew for a fact that it was going to a good home.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."