Thread: Bitcoin vs. Apple Pay

Bitcoin vs. Apple Pay

Last edited by FSP-Rebel; 09-10-2014 at 10:47 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Considering that Apple got hacked recently, why is there even a debate?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I find that amazing that their iCloud was hacked. A multi-billion dollar company. lol I wonder if the hackers accessed something that is left open intentionally for the NSA?
    Last edited by muh_roads; 09-10-2014 at 10:32 PM.

On topic. Apple just made Bitcoin very easy to use in the near-future when they're done. NFC is one of the things developers have been clamoring for so we could have an easier option than QR codes which feels a bit clunky. Apple and the Banks are gonna spend billions on new infrastucture and make Bitcoin inadvertently easier to use. lol

http://www.coindesk.com/sigsafe-key-...s-nfc-devices/

Google wallet has been around a number of years now. It can use NFC - in fact Iphone6 will be the first apple devices that have NFC, they're late to the game.

I briefly had google wallet working via NFC. Then verizon, my carrier, disabled it. So did AT+T and Tmobile. Verizon is part of a credit card acceptance group (Named ISIS. I wonder how fast before this is renamed??) that wanted to be the swipe pay system so disabled google wallet on their network. I'm not sure if those carriers will re-enable google wallet NFC once they start carrying iphone 6?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Google wallet has been around a number of years now. It can use NFC - in fact Iphone6 will be the first apple devices that have NFC, they're late to the game.

I briefly had google wallet working via NFC. Then verizon, my carrier, disabled it. So did AT+T and Tmobile. Verizon is part of a credit card acceptance group (Named ISIS. I wonder how fast before this is renamed??) that wanted to be the swipe pay system so disabled google wallet on their network. I'm not sure if those carriers will re-enable google wallet NFC once they start carrying iphone 6?
    How the hell is any of that legal? That got RICO written all over it.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    On topic. Apple just made Bitcoin very easy to use in the near-future when they're done. NFC is one of the things developers have been clamoring for so we could have an easier option than QR codes which feels a bit clunky. Apple and the Banks are gonna spend billions on new infrastucture and make Bitcoin inadvertently easier to use. lol

Yeah, I'm not sure whether Apple will succeed in getting people to actually use NFC... but if they do it will be great for bitcoin.

They will have done all the hard work of conditioning people to use their phones to pay, and upgrading POS systems so that every business is set up to easily accept bitcoin.

Once businesses don't have to buy a separate tablet and train employees on how to accept bitcoin there really won't be a reason to not accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post

They just changed their name to "Softcard":

Mobile payments startup Isis Wallet is changing its name to Softcard to avoid association with the Islamic militant group known as ISIS.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/26019...-softcard.html

lol

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

NFC opens up an entirely new can of worms when it comes to security/privacy. It is a step backwards.

Though, slightly biased as I am working on a system myself.

Bar codes are the way to go, as an efficient way to transfer physical/cold data.

edit: Ideally companies like Coinapult/Bitpay/etc. would be completely out of the system. It defeats the purpose of the decentralization of Bitcoin. An open source standard needs to be developed.
    Last edited by staerker; 09-12-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Considering that Apple got hacked recently, why is there even a debate?
    I find that amazing that their iCloud was hacked. A multi-billion dollar company. lol I wonder if the hackers accessed something that is left open intentionally for the NSA?
    iCloud was not hacked. Specific accounts were broken into. It was a password attack.

Citibank has not been "hacked" when someone steals your credit card. Ebay has not been "hacked" when someone breaks into your account because your password was 1234 and starts buying designer purses. These are attacks on *you*, not on the institutions. Likewise, this was not an attack on iCloud but on these celebrities. The same sort of attack would be successful against any password-based system.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    A cheat-sheet summarizing the debate:
    So, Bitcoin rules and ApplePay stinks. Deep, man. That's deep.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    iCloud was not hacked. Specific accounts were broken into. It was a password attack.
    Link? I was arguing with a co-worker and I was claiming the same thing. That it was a password hack.

So, Bitcoin rules and ApplePay stinks. Deep, man. That's deep.
    You should know why, right? We shouldn't even have to reply.

- One can help the globally unbanked, resist currency controls, support Agorist businesses and free people from central banking as the only option.

- The other funds the US' war on islamoboogiemen.
    Last edited by muh_roads; 09-12-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Citibank has not been "hacked" when someone steals your credit card. Ebay has not been "hacked" when someone breaks into your account because your password was 1234 and starts buying designer purses. These are attacks on *you*, not on the institutions. Likewise, this was not an attack on iCloud but on these celebrities. The same sort of attack would be successful against any password-based system.
    It was a brute-force attack (if I am not mistaken.)

Meaning, if I know your username, I can get into your account in a few seconds.

It is the simplest of "hacks," and even simpler to prevent. It is hilarious that there was no protection against it.