Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panera to customers: Please leave your guns at home

Panera to customers: Please leave your guns at home

Another business joins the anti-gun cause. Except for law enforcement. And secret service. And bodyguards of the rich and famous. But you mundanes, no guns for you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soup-Nazi-240x300.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	3066

Panera Bread is joining Target Corp. and other big companies in asking customers to help make their businesses gun-free zones.

Ronald M. Shaich, chief executive officer of Sunset Hills-based Panera, said the company is requesting that customers at its 1,800 bakery-cafes in 40 states, including St. Louis Bread Co. locations in the St. Louis area, to keep their guns at home.

The company said it respects the rights of gun owners but doesn’t want firearms brought into its stores unless carried by “an authorized law enforcement officer.”

The move was applauded by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, an organization formed as a result of the Sandy Hook school shootings in Connecticut in 2012.
    http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...df4ba3725.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What would happen if a storeowner did not allow "authorized law enforcement officers" to carry guns in the store?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    What would happen if a storeowner did not allow "authorized law enforcement officers" to carry guns in the store?
    I'm not sure they have franchised. They may all be corporate stores. All the Panera's I have done break/fix and installs in have been corporate stores.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'm not sure they have franchised. They may all be corporate stores. All the Panera's I have done break/fix and installs in have been corporate stores.
    Forget Panera. I mean a store anywhere.

They'd probably get sued when a shooting happened inside the store while a disarmed cop was there.

Because as we all know, that situation wouldn't happen to civilians. It's not like there has ever been a situation where a civilian woman was required to leave her gun in the truck and then was helpless to stop a shooter inside the restaurant. (But in such a purely hypothetical situation, I'm sure the cops would get there, eventually, and then save the day)
    Last edited by TheTexan; 09-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

And I do remember some story about....6-8 months ago?? Where a cafe owner in....California I think? Up North, maybe San Francisco? Banned the police from their establishment. Made the news a little and then went away. As far as i know they are still fine and police free.

And I do remember some story about....6-8 months ago?? Where a cafe owner in....California I think? Up North, maybe San Francisco? Banned the police from their establishment. Made the news a little and then went away. As far as i know they are still fine and police free.
    Hmm... If freedom-lovers could collaborate to exclude police from their establishments, that might draw more attention than most other non-violent methods. Heck, throw in active-duty military and IRS workers while we're at it.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigato...259620851.html

SOUTHEAST PORTLAND, Ore. - A business co-owner called 911 about a potentially deadly situation at a restaurant, and told the dispatcher not to send police. It happened at the Red & Black Cafe on Southeast 12th Avenue Thursday afternoon.
    "We don't allow police in here so we can totally accommodate the fire department and other emergency personnel,” Langley told a 911 dispatcher, “Not police, though."
    “I'm required to send everybody," the dispatcher said.
    “OK, well, if the police try and come in here,” Langley replied, “There's gonna be another problem."
    “Definitely the EMTs and the ambulance driver could've handled it,” Langley said. “I kind of feel like I don't know what they were doing there except maybe waiting to see if they could bust the person on something, and I'm not down with that."
    Langley describes himself as a homeless advocate and anarchist. He has a history of not allowing police into the restaurant. He made headlines back in 2010 for asking an officer to leave after he bought a cup of coffee.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was wrong, it was Portland Oregon, and it was June of 2010.

I can't find the original thread, on RPF's but here is a heartwarming update from May of 2014:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...to-send-police

Hmm... If freedom-lovers could collaborate to exclude police from their establishments, that might draw more attention than most other non-violent methods. Heck, throw in active-duty military and IRS workers while we're at it.
    No thank you, there are plenty of RPF members in good standing who are on active or reserve duty, and I have no desire to prevent them from enjoying my business.

No thank you, there are plenty of RPF members in good standing who are on active or reserve duty, and I have no desire to prevent them from enjoying my business.
    Isn't there at least one cop here as well?

Just out of curiosity, do you ever read Laurence Vance's LRC posts? On what issues do you disagree with him?

I'm also not TOTALLY sure how the military works, so maybe there are certain people who can't really be deployed overseas or have to fight overseas... those are the people I really have an issue with and I don't see how they are any less violating other people's rights than cops are here.

Why would a liberty minded person want to join the US Military? Honest question... and I know you were in so maybe you'd understand that more than I would.

Now if people would just stop visiting their stores, they would learn an important lesson.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever read Laurence Vance's LRC posts? On what issues do you disagree with him?

I'm also not TOTALLY sure how the military works, so maybe there are certain people who can't really be deployed overseas or have to fight overseas... those are the people I really have an issue with and I don't see how they are any less violating other people's rights than cops are here.

Why would a liberty minded person want to join the US Military? Honest question... and I know you were in so maybe you'd understand that more than I would.
    In 1992, when I joined, the military was a lot less likely to be used in offense than they are today. So the primary rationale of making one's self available int he unlikely event that a serious defense is needed made a lot more sense. The secondary reason that also makes sense, makes a lot more sense today than it did in 1992: "regardless of where they send me today or what they order me to do now, America is going to a very dangerous place, and this is the best place to learn how to handle that day when it comes." I imagine most liberty minded folks join for some combination of both.

Ignoring all the ignorant interventions for a moment, should America ever be seriously attacked, the military is the first line of defense; so a lot of people with ingrained "watchman on the wall" personalities will be drawn to the services no matter what else is going on. Then you have the people who want to join for the training and the experience "training their hands to war" not because they support what is happening out in the world, but because they know it's eventually coming home and they want to be prepared for it when it does.

should America ever be seriously attacked, the military is the first line of defense
    Unless the military was the one attacking America, then they would be the first line of offense.

Absurd notion, I know. That wouldn't happen here
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Unless the military was the one attacking America, then they would be the first line of offense.

Absurd notion, I know. That wouldn't happen here
    That highlights yet another reason why it is a good thing to have sincere liberty-loving Constitution-defending Americans in as many spots as they can tolerate inside that machine.

We'll sneak him in the back door. As long as he leaves his uniform at home. And comes armed to encourage others to do the same.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That highlights yet another reason why it is a good thing to have sincere liberty-loving Constitution-defending Americans in as many spots as they can tolerate inside that machine.
    FF: Same effect as 'salt' ie Christians are the salt of the Earth, acting as a preservative. Doesn't mean we approve of all the fallen nonsense around us. Liberty loving Constitutionalists also act as the 'salt' of the military, and their presence would have a dramatic effect should Uncle Sugar try to turn the military against the people of the United States.

I'd have to assume they would continue defending our freedoms then, about as well as they are now...

Assuming they are in fact against the interventions, they are apparently still willing to kill people in the name of those interventions. Does that willingness to kill, in spite of personal morality, somehow change based on their physical location?
    - Kim Kardashian

I'd have to assume they would continue defending our freedoms then, about as well as they are now...

Assuming they are in fact against the interventions, they are apparently still willing to kill people in the name of those interventions. Does that willingness to kill, in spite of personal morality, somehow change based on their physical location?
    It is affected by whatever motivates them, personally. If their primary motive is "defending America" (even if that image is built on ignorance) then yes, they will probably have a lot of trouble with firing on American citizens inside the United States. Even the borderline ones will probably have problems with that, because it would be a violation of the propaganda they have been fed for decades trying to motivate them to war on foreign shores. "We have the fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here." They will have no problem firing on import "hajis" (their perspective) in Chicago, but laying sights on Joe Tea Party is gonna put a big hitch in most of their getalongs. Yes, absolutely.

It is affected by whatever motivates them, personally. If their primary motive is "defending America" (even if that image is built on ignorance) then yes, they will probably have a lot of trouble with firing on American citizens inside the United States. Even the borderline ones will probably have problems with that, because it would be a violation of the propaganda they have been fed for decades trying to motivate them to war on foreign shores. "We have the fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here." They will have no problem firing on import "hajis" (their perspective) in Chicago, but laying sights on Joe Tea Party is gonna put a big hitch in most of their getalongs. Yes, absolutely.
    So they wouldnt for example confiscate guns in the name of keeping the peace? (Or is that just the National Guard?)
    - Kim Kardashian

I do not permit government employees in my place of business.

It's just a woodshop but still.

[edit]

Unlike FF I do not consider military personnel government employees.
    Last edited by tod evans; 09-09-2014 at 03:38 PM.

In 1992, when I joined, the military was a lot less likely to be used in offense than they are today. So the primary rationale of making one's self available int he unlikely event that a serious defense is needed made a lot more sense. The secondary reason that also makes sense, makes a lot more sense today than it did in 1992: "regardless of where they send me today or what they order me to do now, America is going to a very dangerous place, and this is the best place to learn how to handle that day when it comes." I imagine most liberty minded folks join for some combination of both.

Ignoring all the ignorant interventions for a moment, should America ever be seriously attacked, the military is the first line of defense; so a lot of people with ingrained "watchman on the wall" personalities will be drawn to the services no matter what else is going on. Then you have the people who want to join for the training and the experience "training their hands to war" not because they support what is happening out in the world, but because they know it's eventually coming home and they want to be prepared for it when it does.
    OK, I can understand the second reason, but isn't it still wrong to fight in foreign wars even if you are ordered to do so and even if you have some good motivation for doing so? (Such as preparing oneself for when the country goes to Hell?)

The first reason seems to border on insanity at this point, but I'm sure it was more sane in '92. For one thing, you didn't have the internet, and for two, there wasn't nearly as much war. I really don't even see how the United States of America could legitimately defend itself at this point. At this point I think pretty much any other country in the world has at least a semi legitimate casus beli to go to war with "us" considering the high likelihood that the US would attack their country.

So they wouldnt for example confiscate guns in the name of keeping the peace? (Or is that just the National Guard?)
    I am sure TPTB could selectively 'collect' people who would be willing to do that, but by and large no. The Active Duty military would not be willing to do that. The National Guard, being more accustomed to being used in a 'police' capacity, would be more comfortable in that role, however even there you had whole units in Katrina telling their Chain of Command to piss off if that's what they were asked to do. Yes, it happened in Katrina, but the untold story is some 25%-30% of the National Guard units totally refused to participate. And the National Guard is WAY more likely to participate in such a thing than the Active Duty military.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I do not permit government employees in my place of business.

It's just a woodshop but still.

[edit]

Unlike FF I do not consider military personnel government employees.
    I could be convinced. Why aren't they?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OK, I can understand the second reason, but isn't it still wrong to fight in foreign wars even if you are ordered to do so and even if you have some good motivation for doing so? (Such as preparing oneself for when the country goes to Hell?)
    It's not as though your absence is going to hurt the war effort. Also, if you are there with your sensibilities, that automatically means there is less chance of collateral damage and dead innocents, because with your morals you have no intention on harming innocents. So your presence in that war then makes it slightly less evil than had you stayed home and some brainless killer took your place. Maybe only one single innocent lives because you took on the role of a soldier, that would not have lived if someone else went instead of you. What is the value of a single innocent life?

Maybe even a good soul was placed by God, into that specific position for that specific day when the Lieutenant loses his marbles and wants to raze whole villages and their noncombatant populations, and you are the one to step up and say "no." It does happen. I also admit that such dissent is more likely in the Marines than any other branch, contrary to popular understanding.

The first reason seems to border on insanity at this point, but I'm sure it was more sane in '92.
    It may have been more rational in 1992 than it is in 2014, but it doesn't have to be rational at all to be truth. If God builds a soul in his heart to be a watchman on the wall, then the motivation is lodged deep in the core of his being and goes beyond rationale. Even if the militaries in our day are all hopelessly corrupt, God is still building watchmen. It is not uncommon for a watchman type to serve before he comes to know Christ. It is not unknown for a Christian watchman to be drawn intot he service anyway, so that they can stop the next Mỹ Lai Massacre, or simply to refrain from pulling the trigger on that one innocent soul.

For one thing, you didn't have the internet, and for two, there wasn't nearly as much war. I really don't even see how the United States of America could legitimately defend itself at this point. At this point I think pretty much any other country in the world has at least a semi legitimate casus beli to go to war with "us" considering the high likelihood that the US would attack their country.
    Yes, our government does wrong, and our government uses the military to do wrong. The thing is the military, it's machine, and these wars will exists with or without 'the good souls' who for whatever reason join. Their presence makes things a little less bad. Until people who think like we do approach a supermajority, we will not have the power to deprive the military of manpower philosophically, and once we do achieve a supermajority, then the military will no longer be used for evil.

I could be convinced. Why aren't they?
    I've read your opinions and don't really feel like typing one fingered (I really do!) for paragraphs to try to validate what you find offensive...

Honorable men who volunteer for a constitutionally authorized job/duty are not, in my opinion, the same as a tax collector or any type of domestic enforcer.

That government uses them as a cudgel in global politics does not lessen or obfuscate the their position.

All other government employees that are not voted into position fall into my classification of "government employee" from the streetsweeper to the black-robed bastards in DC.

I've read your opinions and don't really feel like typing one fingered (I really do!) for paragraphs to try to validate what you find offensive...

Honorable men who volunteer for a constitutionally authorized job/duty are not, in my opinion, the same as a tax collector or any type of domestic enforcer.

That government uses them as a cudgel in global politics does not lessen or obfuscate the their position.

All other government employees that are not voted into position fall into my classification of "government employee" from the streetsweeper to the black-robed bastards in DC.
    Aside from the navy and national guard (arguably the Coast Guard and AF, but not IMHO), none of them are serving in a Constitutional manner. Until there is a declaration of war, they are just "government employees".
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Might as well hold up an advertisement saying "please rob us instead of Walmart or other stores that do allow customers to exercise their Constitutionally protected Rights".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

It's not as though your absence is going to hurt the war effort. Also, if you are there with your sensibilities, that automatically means there is less chance of collateral damage and dead innocents, because with your morals you have no intention on harming innocents. So your presence in that war then makes it slightly less evil than had you stayed home and some brainless killer took your place. Maybe only one single innocent lives because you took on the role of a soldier, that would not have lived if someone else went instead of you. What is the value of a single innocent life?

Maybe even a good soul was placed by God, into that specific position for that specific day when the Lieutenant loses his marbles and wants to raze whole villages and their noncombatant populations, and you are the one to step up and say "no." It does happen. I also admit that such dissent is more likely in the Marines than any other branch, contrary to popular understanding.

It may have been more rational in 1992 than it is in 2014, but it doesn't have to be rational at all to be truth. If God builds a soul in his heart to be a watchman on the wall, then the motivation is lodged deep in the core of his being and goes beyond rationale. Even if the militaries in our day are all hopelessly corrupt, God is still building watchmen. It is not uncommon for a watchman type to serve before he comes to know Christ. It is not unknown for a Christian watchman to be drawn intot he service anyway, so that they can stop the next Mỹ Lai Massacre, or simply to refrain from pulling the trigger on that one innocent soul.

Yes, our government does wrong, and our government uses the military to do wrong. The thing is the military, it's machine, and these wars will exists with or without 'the good souls' who for whatever reason join. Their presence makes things a little less bad. Until people who think like we do approach a supermajority, we will not have the power to deprive the military of manpower philosophically, and once we do achieve a supermajority, then the military will no longer be used for evil.
    Whether this is true or not (I feel that its somewhat utilitarian, though I do understand it) doesn't it equally apply to police?

They're still government employees though.

...recalling a "shoot 'em up" incident at some "no gunz policy" movie theatre.

Was/is there a lingering liability issue for having that ignorant, "sorry, you've
    got no way to even defend yourself here - so, if something bad goes down,
    just turn your cell phone back on, dial 9ii and then die" anti-safety policy?

Maybe it's those posted "no gunz" color graphic warning signs that somehow
    unintentionally appeal to prescription medicated near-brain-drained crazies!

+++

Q: Are ex-military still on the "welcome customers" list?

Even if they later become cops? Maybe some fine-tuning is needed there.

WANTED: Peace Officers

WELCOME PEACE OFFICERS AND ARMED CUSTOMERS TOO!
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 09-09-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast