Thread: Thomas Massie and Justin Amash's comments on Cheney and ISIS

Thomas Massie and Justin Amash's comments on Cheney and ISIS

Justin Amash: Time for Republicans to stop listening to Dick Cheney

Former Vice President Dick Cheney met with House Republicans Tuesday morning after returning from their August recess, warning lawmakers about how grave the threat of Islamic State (ISIS) terrorists is.

But some anti-interventionist Republicans were not thrilled about Cheney’s foreign policy views returning to prominence in the party.

Rep. Justin Amash, R-MI, fresh off of his victory of a contentious Republican primary, was one of them.

Asked by the Washington Post’s Robert Costa whether it was time for Republicans to stop listening to Cheney, Amash replied “Yeah … Because Republicans don’t agree with him … they don’t agree with him on foreign policy.”

“I don’t think two beheadings justifies a war,” Massie continued. “I think that justice is warranted, but I don’t think a war is warranted over two YouTube videos.”

Massie indicated that ISIS likely created the videos to draw America further into a fight, creating a recruitment opportunity. Air strikes killing innocent civilians, he added, would turn moderate Muslims against America.

More:
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...to-Dick-Cheney

Update: more Massie comments

Kentucky Rep. Tom Massie, who like Amash won his office with the support of Ron Paul backers, was just as direct. "Constituents in my district are very war-weary," he said. "I'm war-weary. The president would have to complete an almost impossible task, which is to convince me he has an exist strategy, and when we're done with this third war in the Middle East, we'll be better off than we were before."

I asked Massie whether he disagreed with Cheney's worry that leaving Afghanistan in a hurry would create another power vacuum. "I wasn't wrapped up in his every word," he said. "I'm gonna try the mother of all pivots here. I have a press conference today about why the 28 pages of the 9/11 report need to be released. Until we know what enabled or caused 9/11, we shouldn't be talking about starting a third war to prevent another 9/11."
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...y_on_iraq.html
    Last edited by tsai3904; 09-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thomas Massie >>>>>>>> Rand Paul, TaftFan, and Trad-Con put together.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Thomas Massie >>>>>>>> Rand Paul, TaftFan, and Trad-Con put together.
    He must be a great Congressman then.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    He must be a great Congressman then.
    You and Taft were just the first two people I thought of who want war on these forums. Massie is awesome.

“I don’t think two beheadings justifies a war,” Massie continued. “I think that justice is warranted, but I don’t think a war is warranted over two YouTube videos.”
    Well, if you listen to Obama and Hillary, people do stage attacks based on Youtube videos (i.e. Benghazi).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Asked by the Washington Post’s Robert Costa
    Probably best not to talk to The Washington NeoComPost...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Awesome.

Trad-Con

lulz

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More Massie comments:

Kentucky Rep. Tom Massie, who like Amash won his office with the support of Ron Paul backers, was just as direct. "Constituents in my district are very war-weary," he said. "I'm war-weary. The president would have to complete an almost impossible task, which is to convince me he has an exist strategy, and when we're done with this third war in the Middle East, we'll be better off than we were before."

I asked Massie whether he disagreed with Cheney's worry that leaving Afghanistan in a hurry would create another power vacuum. "I wasn't wrapped up in his every word," he said. "I'm gonna try the mother of all pivots here. I have a press conference today about why the 28 pages of the 9/11 report need to be released. Until we know what enabled or caused 9/11, we shouldn't be talking about starting a third war to prevent another 9/11."
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...y_on_iraq.html

Nice!

Someone has to say it, Republicans won't become non-interventionists unless Republican figures make arguments against intervention.
    Stop believing stupid things

Supporting Massie and Amash was some of the best money I've ever spent. I am so proud of Massie!

Absolutely refreshing.... more than I can say for some other folks...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

You and Taft were just the first two people I thought of who want war on these forums. Massie is awesome.
    Who want all wars? Or just people who aren't always opposed to military action? I haven't changed my overall foreign policy views. I even oppose sanctions against Iran, which is considered to basically be a radical non interventionist position. People here just think that if you aren't just a 100% purest non interventionist, you must be a Dick Cheney Republican. There's no room for moderation or any kind of middle ground on foreign policy at all. Even if you're in favor of non intervention with rare exceptions, you're a neocon or a hawk according to some. (Not necessarily you, but some here)

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Supporting Massie and Amash was some of the best money I've ever spent. I am so proud of Massie!
    Amash didn't really say where he stood on the air strikes. He sounded like he might be open to them if the authorization was a narrow one.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Thomas Massie, thank you for trying to grow the movement without simply pandering to neocons. Thank you for stating truths that we should first know what enabled/caused the last attack, to stop the next.
    Thomas Massie for President! He has good talking points.

Good job. I still don't see why we can't specifically kill ISIS and declassify 9/11, while also bringing all out other troops home and getting the $#@! out of the middle east all within a 90 day period. Somehow, if you think this way, you are a cheney con.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Who want all wars? Or just people who aren't always opposed to military action? I haven't changed my overall foreign policy views. I even oppose sanctions against Iran, which is considered to basically be a radical non interventionist position. People here just think that if you aren't just a 100% purest non interventionist, you must be a Dick Cheney Republican. There's no room for moderation or any kind of middle ground on foreign policy at all. Even if you're in favor of non intervention with rare exceptions, you're a neocon or a hawk according to some. (Not necessarily you, but some here)
    Sorry, I didn't mean all wars, I meant this particular one.

I don't think you're comparable to Dick Cheney. But apparently you aren't comparable to Massie either

But apparently you aren't comparable to Massie either
    Maybe not, but he's still my favorite member of the house, along with Amash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Can we clone these guys?
    Yes! Support / campaign for / donate to Liberty Candidates running at the state level, and there could eventually be dozens and dozens of Amashes and Massies in national office. What do you think Amash and Massie did before they were in Congress?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)