Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Militarization of local cops includes thousands of bayonets

From some future tyrant's bible...

SOP for Dispersing Protesters: "cut 'em if they stand, shoot 'em if they run"

I hope that never happens (again?) in America!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Thanks, that's a great presentation - posted on YouTube today 9-9-2014 !!!

Senator Rand Paul Wants To Know "Why Are BAYONETS Being Distributed To Local Police Departments?!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Thanks, that's a great presentation - posted on YouTube today 9-9-2014 !!!

Senator Rand Paul Wants To Know "Why Are BAYONETS Being Distributed To Local Police Departments?!
    yw

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Since WWI bayonets have never been intended to "work" on opponents.
    The primary purpose of them for the last 100 years has been in training soldiers to be merciless. Having recruits stab dummies as part of their training helps them to dehumanize their future opponent and steel their nerves for what they're about to undertake.

Or, at least that's the story for why they were still issued in WWI. 100 years later, with more advanced and reliable firearms, I can't imagine the bayonet has assumed a more prominent role, so I'm left with the assumption that they'll be used in some sort of fidelity training.
    Bayonets mean less on an M-4, but on a full size rifle it makes for an extremely effective melee weapon. Especially if the rifle is heavy and sturdy. Just because there hasn't been much melee fighting in war lately, doesn't mean there won't be at some point in the future.

Perhaps my Ka-bar, is different than the bayonet type some posters here seem to be referring to. Mine is of Nam vintage, Camillus Cutery, issued as a USMC utility and fighting knife. It has a full tang which is something I prefer in a blade for it's strength and weight, grade a 1095 chrome-vanadiumsteel, a durable stacked leather washer handle, and a heavy duty leather snap holster with thigh strap. There is no lug for mounting to a rifle.
    Interestingly, the knife was first introduced in 1942 and the name Ka-Bar is according to factory lore, "Kill-a-bear".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Bar
    No, you are right. The bayonet and the Ka-Bar are two different knives. The OKC-3S is a lot more 'bayonet-shaped' than the Ka-Bar.

Here's an interesting tidbit about the use of the bayonet by troops whose ancestors stuck a bunch of ours.
    The U.S. Marine Corps still trains riflemen on how to use the bayonet, as does Britain. In fact, British troops were the last troops to actually use a bayonet charge in combat. This happened in 2004, when a patrol of 20 British troops in Basra, Iraq were ambushed by about a hundred Iraqi Shia militiamen. Help was still on the way when the commander of the British troops realized they were running out of ammo and the Iraqi gunmen were moving closer. So he ordered his troops to fix bayonets and charge. That thoroughly demoralized the Iraqis who, after some close combat with the British (Scots, actually) left 35 of them dead, all ran away. Some of the British troops were wounded but all survived. This, however, was one of the very few such incidents of bayonet use in the last decade. The problem is that Western troops tend to be well trained marksmen and Iraq or Afghan gunmen have learned not to get too close. So opportunities for launching a bayonet charge are increasingly rare.

https://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/The-Spirit-Of-The-Bayonet-Lives-On-4-8-2013.asp
    20 vs 100; 35 of the 100 dead and the rest retreat. 20 injured but alive. A properly bayonetted rifle, is one hell of a melee weapon. Frankly if I were using my rifle for home defense, I would keep the bayonet fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    20 vs 100; 35 of the 100 dead and the rest retreat. 20 injured but alive. A properly bayonetted rifle, is one hell of a melee weapon. Frankly if I were using my rifle for home defense, I would keep the bayonet fixed.
    hear hear....me too Gunny

You will probably like the full story Gunny.

Bad Ass of the Week: Brian Wood

On May 14, 2004, roughly three hundred years after the concept of the bayonet was actually a viable option for winning battles, Lance Corporal Brian Wood tried to save his convoy and his comrades by ordering six pissed-off British soldiers to launch a $#@!ing bayonet charge across 200 yards of open ground towards a numerically superior force of hardened Iraqi troops who were firing AK-47 assault rifles at him from well-prepared elevated positions. - See more at: http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi....LO0gN8HC.dpuf
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Damn. They crawled out of worse than I though. And a Lance freakin Corporal no less. That'll be one of the fastest Sergeants most of his comrades will remember.

The 30mm I didn't know about, and I am sure that helped.

But it's absolutely true, in close-in melee, a bayonetted rifle in the hands of a well trained warrior will have an extreme advantage over pretty much anything but another well-trained bayonet warrior.

Melee is in some way a lot like the video games. The secret is to get in close, right now, and strike first. By being hyper-aggressive a lot of the time your enemies will freeze up or flee. A few dead in a few seconds and the inertia of the fight lands on everyone. Bayonet killing is horrific and barbaric and much more brutal and gory than a bullet. Real shock-trauma is inflicted on witnesses, who if they have NOT been trained in melee will dramatically lose effectiveness, but if they HAVE been trained in melee, it may steel their resolve.

Just put yourself in their shoes for a minute, a ragtag barely organized militia; maybe fought in many battles and will brave the whine and pop of bullets because death comes when it may. Now one of your finer battles is destined for victory and a handful of crazy motherfkers run out screaming with bayonets and just bounce right into the middle of your position and just start killing people screaming bloody murder.

frozen in panic for a second you lift your rifle to shoot someone and instantly WHACK your jaw is broken by a butt stroke you didn't see coming and just before you black out you feel hot steel slicing your neck open to the backbone and the world goes away. Some guy 5' away raises his rifle and gets shot down. Those crazy fkers still have bullets and they did this!

Time to go...

So I take a little exception to the idea that bayonet training is only for indoctrination. Melee may be rare in modern war, but it is not nonexistent. Yes, it's psychological use for crowd control is pure evil. But nobody knows if the next war will be more melee or not. It is better to be ready for whatever, and if the day comes that it's needed, pour in like a breaking dam and never look back. It works.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damn. They crawled out of worse than I though. And a Lance freakin Corporal no less. That'll be one of the fastest Sergeants most of his comrades will remember.

The 30mm I didn't know about, and I am sure that helped.

But it's absolutely true, in close-in melee, a bayonetted rifle in the hands of a well trained warrior will have an extreme advantage over pretty much anything but another well-trained bayonet warrior.

Melee is in some way a lot like the video games. The secret is to get in close, right now, and strike first. By being hyper-aggressive a lot of the time your enemies will freeze up or flee. A few dead in a few seconds and the inertia of the fight lands on everyone. Bayonet killing is horrific and barbaric and much more brutal and gory than a bullet. Real shock-trauma is inflicted on witnesses, who if they have NOT been trained in melee will dramatically lose effectiveness, but if they HAVE been trained in melee, it may steel their resolve.

Just put yourself in their shoes for a minute, a ragtag barely organized militia; maybe fought in many battles and will brave the whine and pop of bullets because death comes when it may. Now one of your finer battles is destined for victory and a handful of crazy motherfkers run out screaming with bayonets and just bounce right into the middle of your position and just start killing people screaming bloody murder.

frozen in panic for a second you lift your rifle to shoot someone and instantly WHACK your jaw is broken by a butt stroke you didn't see coming and just before you black out you feel hot steel slicing your neck open to the backbone and the world goes away. Some guy 5' away raises his rifle and gets shot down. Those crazy fkers still have bullets and they did this!

Time to go...

So I take a little exception to the idea that bayonet training is only for indoctrination. Melee may be rare in modern war, but it is not nonexistent. Yes, it's psychological use for crowd control is pure evil. But nobody knows if the next war will be more melee or not. It is better to be ready for whatever, and if the day comes that it's needed, pour in like a breaking dam and never look back. It works.
    That's a pretty chilling description there Gunny. I could almost visualize it. Think I'd prefer the position of a spotter or other distant participant, were I forced into a combat role...

of course, were I a younger man...

of course, were I a younger man...
    Oh, I need to be a lot younger myself, but I have decided that it is time, I am late, and I have to get back in shape. As for this kind of thing, "pugil sticks" were actually designed to simulate bayonet melee. Get a pair of these, get a bunch of friends, protective gear, start gently, and have fun. Surprisingly, you do not have to be the biggest, strongest, fastest to tear up bayonet melee, you just have to be single-minded and predator smart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12