Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Prison Time for Adam Kokesh

No Prison Time for Adam Kokesh

A Fairfax County judge gave a gun rights activist a suspended sentence for drug and gun-related convictions Friday that followed a high-profile raid on his then-Herndon home last year.

Adam Kokesh, 32, entered Alford pleas in June to two felonies related to possessing hallucinogenic mushrooms while having an AR-15 assault rifle. Police found both — and other drugs and weapons — inside a cabinet in the basement of his home while serving a July 2013 search warrant.

In an Alford Plea, a defendant does not admit guilt, but acknowledges that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. Circuit Court Judge Lorraine Nordlund said she thought the hardest part of his convictions would be losing his gun rights.

Kokesh, who called the charges “political persecution” and struck a combative tone at previous hearings, was contrite at the sentencing.

He said he had moved to California, wrote a book about freedom and started a business and Web site around it. At one point, Kokesh held up a T-shirt with the word “Freedom” written on it, as he explained to Nordlund his recent activities.

“Violence itself is the greatest violation of freedom,” Kokesh told the judge. “I’m the opposite of dangerous.”
    cont.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...7d0_story.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Adam Kokesh gets no jail time on drug, gun convictions

A Fairfax County judge gave a gun rights activist a suspended sentence for drug and gun-related convictions Friday that followed a high-profile raid on his then-Herndon home last year.
    Adam Kokesh, 32, entered Alford pleas in June to two felonies related to possessing hallucinogenic mushrooms while having an AR-15 assault rifle. Police found both — and other drugs and weapons — inside a cabinet in the basement of his home while serving a July 2013 search warrant.

In an Alford Plea, a defendant does not admit guilt, but acknowledges that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. Circuit Court Judge Lorraine Nordlund said she thought the hardest part of his convictions would be losing his gun rights.
    Kokesh, who called the charges “political persecution” and struck a combative tone at previous hearings, was contrite at the sentencing.
    He said he had moved to California, wrote a book about freedom and started a business and Web site around it. At one point, Kokesh held up a T-shirt with the word “Freedom” written on it, as he explained to Nordlund his recent activities.

“Violence itself is the greatest violation of freedom,” Kokesh told the judge. “I’m the opposite of dangerous.”
    He added later: “I apologize to the commonwealth of Virginia and citizens of Herndon. This situation will never happen again.”
    Earlier in the hearing, Fairfax County prosecutor Matthew Kapuscinski rejected the idea that the charges were politically motivated.
    “This is not a case of political persecution or civil disobedience,” Kapuscinski said. “It’s reckless and irresponsible.”
    Kokesh, a Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War, gained notoriety after posting a video of himself loading and racking a shotgun on the District’s Freedom Plaza on July 4, 2013. The video was filmed less than a week before the raid. Kokesh later pleaded guilty to charges related to the incident.
    After the hearing, Kokesh said he was happy with the sentence. He unbuttoned a white dress shirt he was wearing to reveal a black T-shirt underneath identical to the one he displayed in court. He then posed for a picture with the word “Freedom” revealed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...7d0_story.html
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Glad to hear it.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Guy wants freedom. Moves to one of the most un-free states in the country...

-t

Didn't he spend a lot of time in jail pre-trial?

-t

I am so glad for Adam.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Green73 beat me by 2 minutes on the post...story of my life.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Did he lose his right to own a gun? I hope this is not the case.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Yes, he was convicted on 2 felonies.

The right to own a gun was lost long ago...most have simply not acknowledged the truth.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

since his plea doesn't not include the admission of guilt, i think he retains the right as he is not considered a felon.
    If he became a felon, he could move to louisiana and still have a gun.
    Our citizens voted in a constitional amendment that instructed judges to use the strictest interpretation of the 2nd amendment. Since then, they have ruled that felons can own guns and that people can have guns in bars. The last thing to be challenged in the need for a permit to conceal carry. Which will fall once its challenged.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

It kind of sounds that way. Hopefully it's just in Fairfax Co. or Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    since his plea doesn't not include the admission of guilt, i think he retains the right as he is not considered a felon.
    The article I read said he is no longer allowed to own guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The article I read said he is no longer allowed to own guns.

Then I invite him to move to a state that respects his right to own and carry fire arms.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Different states have different allowances. In TN, you can keep them if they are antique/heirloom type weapons, and kept locked separate from ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    A federal conviction is enough to "ban" legal firearm possession in all 50 states including Louisiana...Regardless of the type of plea.

Does anyone know how long Adam has to report to the feds?

[edit]

Some states may not prosecute federal ex-cons for firearms violations but you can bet your ass the DA will turn it over to the feds just for the brownie points...
    Last edited by tod evans; 09-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Didn't he spend a lot of time in jail pre-trial?

-t
    He has spent a lot of time in jail as a political prisoner.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I read somewhere he was in for 114 days. That was long enough for him to find out who his true friends were, so he did get something out of it.

Glad to hear this news!

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I read somewhere he was in for 114 days. That was long enough for him to find out who his true friends were, so he did get something out of it.
    Yes, but that was a mess and I never heard of it getting clearly resolved as to what happened.

Different states have different allowances. In TN, you can keep them if they are antique/heirloom type weapons, and kept locked separate from ammo.
    There are machine guns on the curio and relics list...

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 09-06-2014 at 10:57 AM.

An adult was put in a cage for owning something the Constitution explicitly says is legal, and a fungus.

Land of the free, indeed.

In any event, I'm happy that the violence inflicted upon him was limited and is over now. Hopefully he turns this into a moral, and financial, positive and gains from it. I'm certain that he will. He seems like a great guy.

I've talked my share of $#@! on the guy, but definitely glad to see they didn't throw the book at him. Hope he can put this all behind him soon.

I wonder how long it will take Kokesh to land back in prison.

Not saying these gun laws and drug laws are just. Just saying he would be smart to not intentionally do things that will get him in trouble and should instead focus on more constructive political activism.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you want to smoke pot/other drugs in areas it is illegal, invest in metal doors, that will give you enough time to flush a reasonable amount of evidence.

What the $#@! good is that? seriously

What good is a gun you can't use?

What good is a gun with a lock on it or one locked in a safe?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Actually,, he found out his friends weren't. Which is also very good to know.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I wonder how long it will take Kokesh to land back in prison.
    In this society the bad people stay out of prison and many of the best go. I don't see the problem with civil disobedience.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    In this society the bad people stay out of prison and many of the best go. I don't see the problem with civil disobedience.
    And frankly, I'm tired of people (not necessarily you) who act like disobeying random govt. edicts is somehow immoral, while threatening violence against people when the government says its OK is somehow morally acceptable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast