Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember that guy who was killed, I mean, who drowned while handcuffed? yeah, F U, that's why.

Remember that guy who was killed, I mean, who drowned while handcuffed? yeah, F U, that's why.

Coroner's jury rules drowning of handcuffed man at Lake of the Ozarks an accident

UPDATED at 3:45 p.m. with results of inquest.

A coroner's jury has ruled the death of a handcuffed man who drowned while in the custody of a Missouri state patrol trooper at the Lake of the Ozarks in May an accident.

The ruling from the six-member jury in Morgan County, Mo., comes amid disputed versions of what happened to Brandon E. Ellingson three months ago on the Gravois Arm of the lake, about 140 miles southwest of St. Louis. A prosecutor will consider the jury’s findings when deciding whether to file charges.

The jury took about 10 minutes to unanimously rule the death an accident after hearing from witnesses, including emotional testimony from the state water patrol trooper who arrested Ellingson.

In response to questions from his own attorneys, longtime Missouri Highway Patrol Trooper Anthony Piercy said he had limited training after volunteering for duty with the water patrol division in 2012 and wasn't specifically trained in how to arrest a suspect on the water, what kind of life vest to use on a suspect or what to do in a rescue situation.

"I realize more training is needed," Piercy said before a six-member jury in Morgan County, Mo., convened to look into the death of Brandon E. Ellingson, a 20-year-old student from Iowa, on the lake on May 31.

Piercy arrested Ellingson that day for boating while intoxicated and was taking him to a water patrol station when Ellingson somehow went overboard on the Gravois Arm of the lake, about 140 miles southwest of St. Louis. Piercy said Ellingson stood up and then went over the side.

Piercy had put a life jacket on Ellingson after handcuffing the man, but the life jacket came off in the water. Witnesses told Highway Patrol investigators that the jacket wasn't appropriately secured.

An emotional Piercy described trying to extend a hooked pole to Ellingson, then jumping into the water to try to save the young man. He says he reached Ellingson about eight or ten feet underwater and tried to bring him to the surface, but lost his grip.

"I guess I used to think that when I went to work, I could handle just about any situation that was thrown at me," Piercy said when asked how Ellingson's death had affected him. "I guess it's let me know how vulnerable I am. It's affected me professionally. It's affected my personal life. It's distracting — I think about it all the time. It's hard."

Piercy said he was confident in his abilities on the road, but in response to questions from his attorneys said he had limited training for the water patrol division, which merged with the Missouri Highway Patrol in 2010. Piercy, 43, has been with the Highway Patrol since 1996 and was cross-trained for the water patrol in 2012.

He said he had a week or so of basic boating training and later a four-week marine operations class that covered many of the same concepts. But he said that didn't cover how to make an arrest or rescue operations.

Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Rex Scism testified that the agency's policy is for troopers to use a Type I or Type II life jacket for suspects. Piercy put a Type III jacket on Ellingson. The Coast Guard says Type III jackets are good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue. Those jackets aren't able to flip over an unconscious person who is facing down in the water. It's unclear whether a different type of jacket would have stayed on Ellingson.

Piercy said he grabbed the closest life jacket at hand and hadn't been trained about which kind to use. He said there were Type I, Type II and Type III jackets on the patrol boat.

In taped testimony, friends of Ellingson who saw the arrest said Piercy put the life jacket over Ellingson's head and shoved it down on his shoulders. Piercy said he put it around Ellingson and buckled it. But Ellingson's hands were cuffed behind his back and his arms were not through the arm holes of the jacket.

Ellingson's body was found in 69 feet of water late that night.

The Ellingson family’s lawyer, Matt Boles, said he thinks the trooper’s speed in choppy water caused Ellingson to fall overboard. Boles said a preliminary investigation showed Piercy drove more than 40 mph.

“It should’ve never happened,” Ellingson's father, Craig Ellingson, told the Post-Dispatch Wednesday. “That guy just didn’t do the basics. If he’d have put the jacket on before handcuffing him, my son would be alive today.”

On Thursday, Craig Ellingson said he was disappointed the coroner's jury ruled his son's death an accident.
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...fe9610291.html

other link: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...aec37837e.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brandon E. Ellingson did this to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Brandon E. Ellingson did this to himself.
    Accident or manslaughter?

Not obviously malicious.

Move along, please.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

He said he had a week or so of basic boating training and later a four-week marine operations class that covered many of the same concepts. But he said that didn't cover how to make an arrest or rescue operations.
    After FIVE weeks of training he didn't know how to make an arrest or cover water rescue?!?!

Radio show host Joyce Reilly from The Power Hour lives near where this happened and has reported on her show that it is purported that the water patrol has cameras installed on all of their boats that record from three angles. She has also reported that the footage has never been released. No mention of camera footage from the reports from the Coroner's Jury.

I find it hard to believe that a handpicked government jury would rely on only the accused officers testimony to make their long considered and exhaustive decision.

YEA!!!
    MOAR
    F00D
    4 THA
    STATE!!!!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Radio show host Joyce Reilly from The Power Hour lives near where this happened and has reported on her show that it is purported that the water patrol has cameras installed on all of their boats that record from three angles. She has also reported that the footage has never been released. No mention of camera footage from the reports from the Coroner's Jury.

I find it hard to believe that a handpicked government jury would rely on only the accused officers testimony to make their long considered and exhaustive decision.

and it only took 10minutes, ha!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    GESUS...

Jury Tampering again?

DA rigging?

Judge censoring evidence?

Police tampering or destroying evidence?

Coroner's lawyer from Craig's List or the 'Dollar Store'?

Or was it more mundane proof that this moronic nation has become the United States of Idiocracy?

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    After FIVE weeks of training he didn't know how to make an arrest or cover water rescue?!?!
    I think we need to keep perspective here and concentrate on how the officer was just operating in the interest of public safety. If he hadn't taken that drunk kid off the lake, somebody might have died.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I think we need to keep perspective here and concentrate on how the officer was just operating in the interest of public safety. If he hadn't taken that drunk kid off the lake, somebody might have died.
    Silly me, how thoughtless. I feel safer now.

Brandon E. Ellingson died for... better officer training.

This makes me too angry to comment appropriately.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If it was one of us:
    Involuntary Manslaughter charges, at the least.

One of them? "We try our best." "We need more training." "Just following procedure."

Entirely plausible. I mean, there have been people who have shot themselves in the head, while handcuffed behind their back, in a squad. Just ask any officer - anything is possible.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post

Fellow Mr. Haney fan!

Side note: I saw the great Pat Buttram in a excellent episode of Alfred Hitchcock Hour the other day. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH2vOgnND7E

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These kind of accidents just happen sometimes, in the course of arresting dangerous intoxicated boaters. Boating while intoxicated could get someone killed!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    This makes me too angry to comment appropriately.
    "In my rage and fury at reading of your despicable patient’s exploits, I find that I have transformed into a vampire bat. My secretary shall compose the remainder of this letter under my dictation." - Screwtape Wept

Seriously, these morons can kill people and get sympathy for doing so, along with paid time off? If anyone else killed someone in such a manner....

It's so freaking twisted.

I betcha this guy issued tickets for people not wearing life jackets and yet he wasn't even trained on how to put one on?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Seriously, these morons can kill people and get sympathy for doing so, along with paid time off? If anyone else killed someone in such a manner....

It's so freaking twisted.
    Yeah. Paid time off, and moved from the dangerous streets where they have to deal us mundanes, to a desk job sometimes. MUST BE ROUGH.
    Same with the cop that was distracted by his laptop, and hit and killed a cyclist or runner. We would have been charged with involuntary manslaughter, and probably had to plea out. What happens if you do it with a "badge"? Oh well, accidents happen....

I hate living in bizzaro-world.

lol @ justice in their courts.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Welcome to America, Land of the Free.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SOmeone pray for this officer...He sounds so distraught. He was just following orders...Poor officer...Poor poor officer...

Who knew life vests don't work when the person's arms were cuffed behind their back!? You mean you have to put the person's arms through the arm holes??? Well, you know that is pretty specialized training. How could we expect the officer to know that??

And who knew speeding 40mph there's a risk a guy could fall off the boat and drown because his arms are cuffed?? You mean you can't swim or float back up when you're drunk and your arms are cuffed behind your back!?! It's just soooo unpredictable!! It's a fluke accident. Who'd a thought.

Remember those male models who died in a freak gasoline fight accident from zoolander? It's kinda like that. Just a freakish weird accident.

I feel terrible for the officer, that must have been a traumatic experience for him to go through being part of that.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    I feel terrible for the officer, that must have been a traumatic experience for him to go through being part of that.
    www.TrooperAnthonyPiercyFeelBetterFund.com

Joyce Reilly from The Power Hour reports on the coroner's jury. Pretty disgusting. Evidently, the prosecution was of the victim. His system showed about 3X the legal limit to drive and had traces of cocaine. Much was made of the name of the boat the victim was operating, the name being a take on drunken pronunciation. Officer cried like a baby and blamed it on his training.

My take: Had victim not died, a jury would have sentenced him to death. All good to Boobus.

Audio of The Power Hour is here: http://www2.gcnlive.com/CMS/index.ph...ge?showCode=32 Go to hour 2 and it starts about 18:30.

More: Also, no mention whatsoever of video recording evidence. Reilly was the only source that I ever heard claiming that there was on-board video. She was even pushing for people to contact the usual government stooges and reps to demand the release of the video. Not a peep about it now.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 09-05-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Brandon E. Ellingson died for... better officer training.
    bxm042 just gave me rep for my post^. not enough to troll a thread, but reps too....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast