Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two teens charged with felony for stripping bark off tree.

Two teens charged with felony for stripping bark off tree.

Three felonies a day....

Police in Mason City, Iowa recently arrested two children and charged them with felony criminal mischief for stripping bark from a tree in front of their school. A neighbor with nothing better to do with their time witnessed the children peeling the bark from the tree and felt the need to call the police.

The police actually took the call seriously, and showed up to treat the children like criminals. The police interrogated the children, who eventually admitted to peeling the bark off of the tree. When they confessed, the police arrested them and charged them with second-degree criminal mischief.

“There’s nothing worse than seeing my 13-year-old son turn right, left and front as his mug shot is taken. My heart is hurting for my son. I don’t believe it had to go to this extreme,” mother Naomi Wells told The Global Gazette.

“I guess as a parent, I should be at fault for not teaching him that pulling bark off a tree will kill it. I made sure to cover sex, drugs, drinking, responsibility, honesty and God, but trees, that one slipped my mind,” she added.

The charges filed against the children were based on the cost of removing and replacing the tree, which came to $1,166. If the cost of the tree was lower, than the charges against the children would not have been as steep.

However, Ms. Wells did some research on her own and got a quote from a local tree company that totalled around $475. If the police got a quote from the same company that Naomi Wells did, then the children would not have been charged with felonies.

When asked about the high projected cost to replace the tree, Mason City Police Sgt. Dave Houser said, “I thought it was high to begin with, but how do you come up with a cost of a tree?”

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/2-c...ZxrARq1beJq.99

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should arrest and charge the parents for child neglect too. After all she admitted her guilt on not teaching her kid about the trees. </s>

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    They should arrest and charge the parents for child neglect too. After all she admitted her guilt on not teaching her kid about the trees. </s>
    Yeah, pretty damned ridiculous. Seems pretty easy to rectify to me without felony charges. Have parents pay restitution for the cost of tree or have the juveniles perform community service. No mugshots needed. No rap sheets.

Original article here:http://globegazette.com/news/local/j...836a55ed8.html

First comment....

vad - 1 hour ago
    The #1 thing you should have taught him, before peeling the tree, sex, drugs and God, is to not never talk to the police, not to mention to never admit anything.
    Amen, vad. Amen.

I guess as a parent, I should be at fault for not teaching him that pulling bark off a tree will kill it. I made sure to cover sex, drugs, drinking, responsibility, honesty and God, but trees, that one slipped my mind,” she added
    It seems the other thing you forgot to teach him is: NEVER talk to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It seems the other thing you forgot to teach him is: NEVER talk to the police.
    Ha! Are you vad? Good advise specs!

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ha! Are you vad? Good advise specs!
    nope, guess just more and more people are figuring that bit out.

AmeriKa.

The question is, what are you going to do next, Frau Wells?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    nope, guess just more and more people are figuring that bit out.
    The hard way, but still figuring it out.

They have trees in Iowa?...

give these kids a chainsaw and send them to Alaska.

How about this for resolution? Instead of booking, fingerprinting, mug shots, court dates etc. etc.

Become a Member of the
    Arbor Day Foundation

Memberships start at only $10 and you choose one of these gifts as our thanks when you join:

Get 10 Free Trees

Choose 10 trees that grow well where you live, and we'll send them to you to plant in your yard. You can also choose to send the trees directly to someone else.
    http://shop.arborday.org/content.aspx?page=memberships

The plant police have another weapon in their arsenal....

A neighbor with nothing better to do with their time witnessed the children peeling the bark from the tree and felt the need to call the police.
    No telling what you'll get denounced for these days.

Good thing these d-bags weren't around when I was young. I'd still be on some tree offenders list somewhere given all the stuff we did to them...

Good thing these d-bags weren't around when I was young. I'd still be on some tree offenders list somewhere given all the stuff we did to them...
    Guilty as charged.

Is it a PUBLIC school? If so, it shouldn't be a crime. After all, they owned that tree as much as anyone else does. Collective property FTW

If it was a private school, I could understand making them pay restitution, but a FELONY is ridiculous. IF I didn't know better I'd think whoever made that call was high.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I cringe when I read things like this.

Most likely, the children were double-teamed during interrogation by their teacher/school admin and the cops. Most likely, the parents were never called prior to interrogation. Most likely, the children were never informed of their rights not to incriminate themselves, because they do not have that right in the school disciplinary system. Most likely, they had the impression that coming clean in the presence of school officials would subject themselves to only in-house punishment. Most likely, the cops could have secured confessions for the murder of Jon Benet Ramsey from these children had they thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post

Most likely, the children were double-teamed during interrogation by their teacher/school admin and the cops. Most likely, the parents were never called prior to interrogation. Most likely, the children were never informed of their rights not to incriminate themselves, because they do not have that right in the school disciplinary system. Most likely, they had the impression that coming clean in the presence of school officials would subject themselves to only in-house punishment. Most likely, the cops could have secured confessions for the murder of Jon Benet Ramsey from these children had they thought of it.
    Why do you hate AmeriKa, comrade?

When asked about the high projected cost to replace the tree, Mason City Police Sgt. Dave Houser said, “I thought it was high to begin with, but how do you come up with a cost of a tree?”
    You determine the threshold for escalating the charge, then have your buddy who owns a landscaping company quote a price slightly higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why do you hate AmeriKa, comrade?
    I burn with the same hate for my country as Solzhenitsyn had for his.

Let's pray that ours turns out as well as theirs.

I burn with the same hate for my country as Solzhenitsyn had for his.

Let's pray that ours turns out as well as theirs.

Ive been feeling that way for about a decade now. I just don't identify with it or feel any sort of connection at all.
    Summum Jus, Summa Iniuria - More Law, Less Justice

The man who poisoned Toomer’s Oaks has been ordered to pay Auburn University nearly $800,000.

In an order filed late Friday afternoon, Circuit Judge Jacob A. Walker III ordered that Harvey Updyke, who pleaded guilty March 22 to poisoning the iconic trees sometime after the Iron Bowl in 2010, pay $796,731.98 in restitution to the university for lost revenue and expenditures involved in the removal and replacement of the trees and affected soil.

Originally, the state sought $1.35 million in restitution.

“The Court finds that all other restitution requests on behalf of the university are reasonable and that they have been proven beyond a preponderance of the evidence,” Walker states in the order.“The Court believes the defendant failed to fully take into account the repercussions of poisoning living things, and finds that his actions placed the public at considerable risk of health concerns.”

Walker also ordered that Updyke pay restitution through an installment plan of $500 per month. Updyke will also be forced to pay an additional $2,000 in legal fees and $16,500 in court costs.

During the restitution hearing, Updyke’s attorney, Andrew Stanley, argued that his client was indigent, had only $631 to his name at the time and was on Medicaid and Social Security disability. However, Walker ruled that no evidence was submitted to indicate that Updyke was unable to apply for part-time or full-time work to meet his obligations in the case, or that his health was any factor in applying for work.

“While the defendant was previously deemed indigent for the purpose of obtaining appointed legal counsel and for granting various… expenses in preparation for trial, the Court find that the defendant is not without financial resources to make restitution payments to the victim in this case,” the order states. “In particular, the court finds that installation payments will not be overly burdensome on the victim or the defendant.”

The order states that Updyke, who was last reported to be living in Hammond, La., could perform community service for a nonprofit organization “in order to earn a reduction of the fines and court costs owed in this case,” although no credit could be earned toward restitution. If Updyke opts for this plan, a $25 credit would be given for every eight hours of community service he performs.

The trees were removed April 23. No attorneys for the state or Updyke could be reached for comment.

http://www.oanow.com/news/toomers_oa...a4bcf6878.html

Had to check out Tommers Oaks. Seems T.P.ing trees should be added to the three felonies a day list.

Auburn police have confirmed an on-going investigation into a fire at the beloved Toomer's Oaks early Sunday morning.

The toilet paper caught on fire around 3:20 a.m. after AU fans rolled the trees following a blowout against Alabama A&M at Jordan Hare Stadium.

The fire comes just almost a year after an Alabama fan admitted to poisoning the trees following the 2010 Iron Bowl. The suspect, Harvey Updyke is still waiting to go to trial.
    http://www.cbs46.com/story/20130855/...-catches-ffire

Had to check out Tommers Oaks. Seems T.P.ing trees should be added to the three felonies a day list.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/20130855/...-catches-ffire

They would have never caught him if he didn't call into a radio show, confess on the air and turn himself in. The poison he used didn't have noticeable effects until a few months later.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Um... What were you doing to them?

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Would you incidentally be on a sex-offender list as well? What did you do to the trees?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Justice prevails. The child offenders should confess to the men-at-arms of their crime of unlawfully stripping bark from the King's tree. Hiding behind mother's skirt should not provide salvation. They are lucky that they were not charged with unlawful possession of tree bark with the intent of distributing it to minors - a testament to the nobility and fair-mindedness of our men-at-arms.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Justice prevails. The child offenders should confess to the men-at-arms of their crime of unlawfully stripping bark from the King's tree. Hiding behind mother's skirt should not provide salvation. They are lucky that they were not charged with unlawful possession of tree bark with the intent of distributing it to minors - a testament to the nobility and fair-mindedness of our men-at-arms.
    Theye could send a real message if they just hanged them from the branches.

Theye could send a real message if they just hanged them from the branches.
    Given the nature of their crimes, a more appropriate, just, and proportional punishment would have been summary flaying. An eye for an eye.
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Given the nature of their crimes, a more appropriate, just, and proportional punishment would have been summary flaying. An eye for an eye.
    THEN hang them from the tree. Like Odin One-Eye. Brilliant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast