Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Season **OFFICIAL THREAD**

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Yeah, the breast cancer charade falls a distant second to the military brainwashing.
    I predict soon they (all sports teams) will be wearing uniforms that have the advertisers all over them. And they're tax exempt too (NFL). What are they, a religion? They indoctrinate like one that's for sure - with all this pink and camo b.s..
    Last edited by Deborah K; 11-13-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: clarity
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sort of tax exempt. Though they don't deserve to be exempt. They aren't exactly a "non-profit" organization.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/22/us/nfl-nonprofit-taxes/

(CNN) -- Did the National Football League make $10.5 billion in 2013, pay its chief executive Roger Goodell $44.2 million, yet pay no taxes to Uncle Sam?

Well, yes and no.

The National Football League pays taxes through its various money-making offshoots such as NFL Properties and NFL Ventures, but the league office in midtown Manhattan, which paid Goodell his very handsome salary, doesn't.

The reason goes back to 1942 when the IRS ruled the NFL was a trade association for its now 32-member teams and therefore exempt from taxes as a nonprofit under section 501(c)6 of the tax code.

Just to be safe, the NFL lobbied Washington in 1966 on the eve of its merger with the American Football League.

Two powerful Louisiana politicians, Sen. Russell Long and Rep. Hale Boggs, wanted a football team in New Orleans. Then-NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle wanted antitrust protection and confirmed tax-exempted status for the league office.

The Saints were born in New Orleans and in exchange, Rozelle got his wish slipped into an unrelated federal bill on investments and depreciation.

Sports attorney and expert on the NFL's tax exemption, Andy Delaney, told CNN, "Pete Rozelle was a forward-looking guy, I can't imagine what those two lines (of text), maybe three is worth today."

Millions, it turns out, according to Sen. Tom Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican who wants the tax-exemption for professional sports teams gone.

For all the professional sports leagues -- including the PGA Tour and NHL among others -- that use the loophole, "It amounts to like $10 million a year. $10 or 11 million a year. Probably $110 million over the next 10 years. But the point is why should they have that?" Coburn told CNN.

Coburn has introduced the PRO Sports Act to strip the NFL and others of the decades-old exemption.

What the NFL pays -- and doesn't -- in taxes

According to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, "every dollar of income that is earned in the National Football League -- from game tickets, television rights fees, jersey sales and national sponsorships -- is subject to tax. None of this income is shielded in a tax-exempt entity. Instead, the NFL's 32 clubs pay tax on all of these revenues."

But that's not 100% true, Coburn said.

"The individual owners and teams pay taxes. We're not going after them, but what they do is they can put all this confluence of money into the league office and do this as a nonprofit, which means they're not paying taxes like every other business that would be in a trade business like they are," Coburn said.

The nonprofit NFL raked in more than $326 million from April 2012 to March 2013, almost of all of which came from "membership dues and assessments" or league fees paid by the member teams, according to a CNN analysis of IRS documents.

Those dues are tax deductible for the teams as "business expenses" according to the IRS.

Delaney thinks the NFL calling itself a nonprofit is too much.

"I don't think anything they are doing is illegal, but it is not in the spirit of a nonprofit, nonprofits don't have directors with salaries north of 40 million," he said. "It's a business, and they should call it that."

Goodell's salary, which comes from the NFL's nonprofit arm, rivals some of the top-paid CEOs in the corporate world. Goodell's compensation would rank in the top 20 for CEOs of U.S. public companies and above the leaders of Disney, Visa and Yahoo, according to a chart of total compensation compiled by the AFL-CIO.

The 'first blood' is on the tomahawk.

Hope that's a good sign.

This is an important game for the Chiefs. This is the first serious team they've faced since they seemed to get their act together.

I'm glad the Cowboys have a bye. We usually don't get the Chiefs games Fox carries on days the 'Pokes play.

EDIT: TAMBA HALI!! Bwahahahahahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Chiefs looking good today. Missed the game due to work but apparently Denver didn't. Heard they picked up some big injuries too. Teams are getting more pressure on Manning. Neither Chargers or Raiders were impressive. Raiders came up short on the scoreboard but both deserved to lose. If things continue, KC could win the AFC West. Chiefs host Broncos in two weeks- that will probably decide it. Chiefs do have some other tough games coming up-at Arizona and at Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If things continue, KC could win the AFC West. Chiefs host Broncos in two weeks- that will probably decide it. Chiefs do have some other tough games coming up-at Arizona and at Pittsburgh.
    Next meeting is in our house. You know, where the air is thick, and vibrating with noise.

And at this point, I'm mostly worried about coming out of our obligatory pair of Raiders games healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

I'm glad the Cowboys have a bye.
    Me too. My heart needed a rest today.

The Broncos game today looked a lot like the old Colts-Titans games from 10 years ago when the Colts had Edgerrin James, and Manning couldn't throw against the TN secondary. That was the way to beat Peyton. It is not enough to just cover the receivers, when they make a catch, they have to be brought down hard. By the 4th quarter, he'll be dropping back and not seeing anything good. Those years, it usually came down to the kicking.

What a jerk!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The Broncos game today looked a lot like the old Colts-Titans games from 10 years ago when the Colts had Edgerrin James, and Manning couldn't throw against the TN secondary. That was the way to beat Peyton. It is not enough to just cover the receivers, when they make a catch, they have to be brought down hard. By the 4th quarter, he'll be dropping back and not seeing anything good. Those years, it usually came down to the kicking.
    In those years, Jamaal Charles was still a kid.

49ers WON!

Now we just need Drew Stanton to blow his knee out...

They are passing these out tonight for the game against the Steelers:

Obviously trying to offset what will be a hell of a lot of yellow towels. When the Steelers play here, they always bust vendors outside selling counterfeit "Terrible Towels".

Seahawks are done.

Nothing left to do except watch the carnage the rest of the way.

I see Arizona winning the Superbowl for John McCain...most likely his last term as a Senator...

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    Seahawks are done.

Nothing left to do except watch the carnage the rest of the way.

I see Arizona winning the Superbowl for John McCain...most likely his last term as a Senator...
    Wouldn't surprise me with the way the refs made sure the Cardinals won that game.

My brother is saying the same as you about the Seahawks and that the 49ers will win both games. Yet we're an injury away from turning to the crowd and seeing if there's a fan sober enough to play and even with the best receiving core in the game our playbook is too conservative to score enough points...like it has been since the Garcia/Owens days.
    Last edited by John F Kennedy III; 11-18-2014 at 01:56 PM.

2014 Power Rankings: Week 12
    RANK TEAM / RECORD TRENDING COMMENTS
    1 Patriots
    8-2
    --

Last Week: 1
    Like we've been saying all year, you must stop Jonas Gray to beat the Patriots. Well, maybe not, but 199 yards and a franchise-record four rushing touchdowns buried the Colts.
    2 Cardinals
    9-1
    --

Last Week: 2
    The last time the Cardinals were 9-1, they played home games in Chicago and Harry Truman was in office (1948). Arizona's six-game win streak is the team's best since 1977.
    3 Packers
    7-3
    Last Week: 5
    Human victory cigar Matt Flynn has appeared in five of Green Bay's past six games. Imagine the possibilities if Aaron Rodgers threw for a full 60 minutes.
    4 Broncos
    7-3
    Last Week: 3
    Denver scored seven points, the fewest by the Broncos with Peyton Manning as quarterback. Manning's NFL-record 15-game streak with multiple touchdown passes was snapped in Sunday's shocker.
    5 Chiefs
    7-3
    Last Week: 10
    Wide receivers are overrated. The 7-3 Chiefs still have no touchdown receptions by wide receivers this season. Seven wide receivers have more yards than all Chiefs wide receivers combined (917).
    6 Cowboys
    7-3
    Last Week: 8
    Facing Eli Manning is a welcome return from the bye week for the Cowboys' defense, which has a takeaway in nine straight games since Week 1.
    7 Lions
    7-3
    Last Week: 6
    Sunday was Detroit's first game this season without a sack, and the Lions allowed Drew Stanton to throw for a career-high 306 yards and his second-career multi-TD game.
    8 Eagles
    7-3
    Last Week: 4
    Philadelphia allowed 53 points to the Packers Sunday, the most allowed by the Eagles since 1972 (62-10 loss to Giants). The Packers had no turnovers, snapping Philly's 21-game takeaway streak.
    9 Colts
    6-4
    Last Week: 7
    Coby Fleener quietly was outstanding Sunday, posting a career-high 144 receiving yards on seven catches. With Dwayne Allen and Ahmad Bradshaw out, they'll need more of that from Fleener.
    10 49ers
    6-4
    Last Week: 12
    Who says the 49ers' defense is struggling? San Francisco had five interceptions Sunday, its most in a game since Week 10 of 2009 against the Bears.
    11 Seahawks
    6-4
    Last Week: 9
    Jamaal Charles exploited the hole left by Brandon Mebane's injury. The Chiefs had 6.3 yards per rush and 5.0 yards before contact per rush, most against Seattle since 2013.

I'm rooting for the Cardinals, Seahawks, Cowboys, Eagles, Lions and Packers to lose the rest of their games

Would be almost impossible for the 49ers to miss the playoffs then

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Haha, the Raiders just picked up their FIRST win against a team who just beat Seattle.

The Raiders gave them every chance to come back and win that one. I LOL'd when those 2 guys were like 20 yards on the wrong side of the ball celebrating and had to call a time out.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I'm rooting for the Cardinals, Seahawks, Cowboys, Eagles, Lions and Packers to lose the rest of their games

Would be almost impossible for the 49ers to miss the playoffs then
    Seahawks and SF are destined for early vacations this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The Raiders gave them every chance to come back and win that one. I LOL'd when those 2 guys were like 20 yards on the wrong side of the ball celebrating and had to call a time out.
    Raiders can be generous like that. Most teams take advantage of them. Last week, the only touchdown the Chargers got against the Raiders came after an interception inside the 20 yardline. That game could have been the Raider's first win otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    Seahawks and SF are destined for early vacations this year.
    It ain't over til it's over.

We're tied for the 7th spot and Cowboys are destined to shoot themselves in the foot just enough to miss the playoffs.
    Last edited by John F Kennedy III; 11-21-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Gonna have to win this week (Arizona) to keep those hopes alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Gonna have to win this week (Arizona) to keep those hopes alive.
    We don't play Arizona til week 17.

We're tied for the 7th spot and Cowboys are destined to shoot themselves in the foot just enough to miss the playoffs.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wilson better have his arm ready.

Local sports news here in Seattle did a blurb on the idea of Sherman as a WR...

Lynch 'supposdly' is getting banged up, and this might be the time to air it out sunday....

Should be an intense game....Seattle HAS TO DOMINATE Arizona big time. This is it...

i'm thinkin' players from SF will be on vacation in Arizona, or watching them in the Bowl... Is this what you mean?...

Sorry, Thought we were talking about Seattle. They have to play Arizona twice yet starting this Sunday.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-21-2014 at 07:25 PM.

I guess I'm rooting for Seattle today. Go Seahawks.

Nice job by Seahawks against Arizona! Shut them down pretty good! Denver needed a good comeback in the fourth quarter (trailing 28- 17) to beat Miami- setting up a crucial game next week at Kansas City. Already missing Julius Thomas, they lost Brandon Marshall and Aqib Talib in the game. Scored 22 straight points before Miami got a late touchdown go get back within three. Nice to see 167 yards rushing by CJ Anderson to take pressure off Manning. (team was over 200 yards rushing- season best). Denver is unbeaten at home but 2-3 on the road

49ers get another close one. Is it true that New Orleans leads their division with a 4-6 (losing!) record? Amazing. Chargers sloppy again and almost let the Rams beat them. Rams down by three- just over a minute left. First and goal from the six. A field goal to go into overtime. Run, run, run kick if you don't score a TD. But instead threw an interception. Game over.

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast