Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron And Rand Paul Do Not Agree About ISIS

Ron And Rand Paul Do Not Agree About ISIS

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katherinemil...t-isis#20nskq3

Sen. Rand Paul on Friday told the Associated Press that the United States should pursue ISIS aggressively:

Speaking to a ballroom later, some of the loudest applause for Paul came when he quipped: “If the president has no strategy, maybe it’s time for a new president.”

In an emailed comment, however, Paul elaborated by saying: “If I were president, I would call a joint session of Congress. I would lay out the reasoning of why ISIS is a threat to our national security and seek congressional authorization to destroy ISIS militarily.”

His father, Ron Paul, on Sunday wrote that the United States should at all costs avoid intervening in Syria:

What does this mean in practice? If the neocons have their way, the Federal Reserve will “print” more money to finance another massive US intervention in the Middle East. In reality this means further devaluation of the US dollar, which is a tax on all Americans that will hit the poorest hardest.

A new US military incursion will not end ISIS; it will provide them with the recruiting tool they most crave, while draining the US treasury. Just what Osama bin Laden wanted!

[…] A lack of strategy is a glimmer of hope. Perhaps the president will finally stop listening to the neocons and interventionists whose recommendations have gotten us into this mess in the first place! Here’s a strategy: just come home.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron > Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ron > Rand.
    This^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Ron > Rand.
    Agree...

Ron > Rand > Everybody else who has a chance of being President in 2016.
    Rand Paul for Peace

I find both equally good here. You all are missing the point. Rand would not have staged the intervention that caused IS to target the US. All he is saying here is that he would respond to a threat that HE DID NOT CAUSE, in a constitutional way.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This^^
    Double that.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I find both equally good here. You all are missing the point. Rand would not have staged the intervention that caused IS to target the US. All he is saying here is that he would respond to a threat that HE DID NOT CAUSE, in a constitutional way.
    Correct, in beginning of this vid his view is affirmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIRUeJYFZ94

Ron would be fine with ISIS training in Cuba, as long as no leaks of a planned attack came out. I don't take him seriously on nuanced foreign policy matters. He is great at explaining general themes and truths that have been ignored; the consequences of intervention. But he takes a dogmatic position and ignores possible costs of not acting. In essence, he is opposite of the neocons like Graham and McCain. Rand's realist foreign policy makes much more sense.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Ron would be fine with ISIS training in Cuba, as long as no leaks of a planned attack came out. I don't take him seriously on nuanced foreign policy matters. He is great at explaining general themes and truths that have been ignored; the consequences of intervention. But he takes a dogmatic position and ignores possible costs of not acting. In essence, he is opposite of the neocons like Graham and McCain. Rand's realist foreign policy makes much more sense.
    If we (the USgov) had listened to Ron's advice there would be no ISIS.

You and others here,, and Rands statement on this, are convincing me to NOT Support Rand at all.

He does not represent me.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

You and others here,, and Rands statement on this, are convincing me to NOT Support Rand at all.

I recognize that if we had followed Ron's advice there would be no ISIS. But ISIS exists now.

Saying "well, if you had listened to me we wouldn't be here" is not a strategy.

I don't agree with every aspect of his foreign policy. I've realized that I can have my own views. I don't have to be in lockstep with Ron, Rand, George Bush, Obama, or anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

If he makes it to the general, I'm pretty sure I'd break my rule of not holding my nose to vote for someone. But more and more I can't see that he is someone that I would donate to, sign wave for, or be too enthused about. the one positive about his statement is that he makes it clear he wouldn't act unilaterally, he would go to Congress. Which is at least a move in the right direction. And deep down I have to hope that he is telling the party what they want to hear...but I don't admire or respect him for it.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Ron > Rand.
    This^^
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Double that.
    Triple that.
    There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way.
    -- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

I don't have to be in lockstep with Ron, Rand, George Bush, Obama, or anybody else.
    I'm lockstep with Smedley Butler.

Don't leave the coastline. Ever. Period.

That's defense. Anything else is offense.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Exactly. If Rand were President ISIS wouldn't have been a threat, because he wouldn't have invaded Iraq and made all of the other mistakes that led to the rise of ISIS. But we have to deal with the situation that exists today.

"I agree with ron Paul on everything except foreign policy. So I can't vote for him"

Sounds familiar?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron > Rand.
    This^^
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Double that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rprprs View Post
    Triple that.
    4X

Is there any video of Rand saying this or are we kneejerking over an alleged "email statement" alone?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I recognize that if we had followed Ron's advice there would be no ISIS. But ISIS exists now.

I don't agree with every aspect of his foreign policy. I've realized that I can have my own views. I don't have to be in lockstep with Ron, Rand, George Bush, Obama, or anybody else.
    You're wrong, Ron Paul does have a strategy. Non-intervention is a strategy. What makes you so sure that removing ISIS won't lead to an even greater threat? That's been the pattern so far. I don't see any reason it won't continue.

One thing that the interventionists don't realize is that the "bad guys" can't get along with each other. If you leave them alone they'll tend to wipe each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    If he makes it to the general, I'm pretty sure I'd break my rule of not holding my nose to vote for someone. But more and more I can't see that he is someone that I would donate to, sign wave for, or be too enthused about. the one positive about his statement is that he makes it clear he wouldn't act unilaterally, he would go to Congress. Which is at least a move in the right direction. And deep down I have to hope that he is telling the party what they want to hear...but I don't admire or respect him for it.
    More or less agree here. I still have some respect for Rand in general (after all, the other 99 senators are way worse) but I'm not thrilled with him either. I still have a "stand with rand" poster up in my college dorm. Not going to take it down. But he's not Ron Paul either.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    4X
    Let's make it five.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    You're wrong, Ron Paul does have a strategy. Non-intervention is a strategy. What makes you so sure that removing ISIS won't lead to an even greater threat? That's been the pattern so far. I don't see any reason it won't continue.

One thing that the interventionists don't realize is that the "bad guys" can't get along with each other. If you leave them alone they'll tend to wipe each other out.
    Sure it's a great strategy and one I agree with. Unfortunately Obama doesn't and already intervened.

In this particular instance I think we may better served by a president who is pragmatic rather than philosophical.

Sure something worse than IS may pop up if they are eradicated. If this theoretical latest greatest new terror group doesn't threaten the US, leave them be. IS didn't threaten the US until Obama bombed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Exactly. If Rand were President ISIS wouldn't have been a threat, because he wouldn't have invaded Iraq and made all of the other mistakes that led to the rise of ISIS. But we have to deal with the situation that exists today.
    This ..... and I do stand with Rand. If you think ISIS is going to stay away from our borders, you are crazy. Their goal is a global caliphate.
    Rand would not have created the mess to being with, but he does see that it can't be ignored.
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    This ..... and I do stand with Rand. If you think ISIS is going to stay away from our borders, you are crazy. Their goal is a global caliphate.
    Rand would not have created the mess to being with, but he does see that it can't be ignored.
    ISIS would never get that far. THe US has done more evil in this world than ISIS ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I'm lockstep with Smedley Butler.

Don't leave the coastline. Ever. Period.

That's defense. Anything else is offense.
    You mean like how I live my life and many others live theirs everyday? How weird is that!?

+ rep
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    This is really the only way to handle the press. Ron used to try to go into the history in the debates (when the topic was the Middle East), and whenever someone had him on one of the big networks, he would get cut off. A few months ago, when Rand started getting on the Sunday morning shows, they were feeling him out on FP. I think it was the weekend of "Rand does not blame Obama", but that weekend Rand was leading his responses with the history, and they were all cutting him off- asking "what would you do right now?". After that weekend, he changed it up so that he emphasized he was open to doing air strikes.

He does have an advantage now, though. Since he's been talking about this long enough, he can now go back to his earlier statements and show he could have avoided the current mess. That's how you use the press to bring in the history.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    This is really the only way to handle the press. Ron used to try to go into the history in the debates (when the topic was the Middle East), and whenever someone had him on one of the big networks, he would get cut off. A few months ago, when Rand started getting on the Sunday morning shows, they were feeling him out on FP. I think it was the weekend of "Rand does not blame Obama", but that weekend Rand was leading his responses with the history, and they were all cutting him off- asking "what would you do right now?". After that weekend, he changed it up so that he emphasized he was open to doing air strikes.

He does have an advantage now, though. Since he's been talking about this long enough, he can now go back to his earlier statements and show he could have avoided the current mess. That's how you use the press to bring in the history.
    Politics? Fine. It sucks, but whatever. But there's no excuse for people HERE falling for that level of intellectual absurdity. Its just ridiculous. I feel like I'm on TOL right now, and its sad that I feel that way on RPF.

Some background for those that haven't seen it.

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    You are the one that is crazy. Devouring so much MSM news that you actually think ISIS can attack here with no air force or navy. If you are simply worried about terrorist attacks then we should be bombing Chechnya. After all, wasn't it the Chechens who bombed us in Boston? Why are we not bombing Chechnya too? Let's bomb every country who dares threaten us!!!
    Last edited by twomp; 09-03-2014 at 03:06 AM.

It's amazing how ISIS with the help of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United States can't even take Syria, they can't take Baghdad or southern Iraq but they have some of you here thousands of miles away $#@!ting in your pants. The power the media has over the weak minded is astonishing.

So your answer to having to combat self created monsters is to create more monsters to combat. Sounds pretty circular and f'd up imo.

You know the beheading vids are faked western intelligence, right? I mean, what sense is there in fighting these fake created enemies? It's exactly what they want.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast