Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any mushroom hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I remember that thread. Is that the one that had the guy who pulled that marker out of his hair? That cracked me up.
    LOL! yes it was!

ETA: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ighlight=Chaga
    Last edited by donnay; 07-23-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    LOL! yes it was!
    I just went back and watched it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any of the magical ones found? aka pscilocybin cubensis

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    There is saying among mushroom hunters:

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."
    Haha nice ASOIAF reference!

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    Any of the magical ones found? aka pscilocybin cubensis

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

two years ago when I downed a poplar tree, one of the logs about 14" diameter 10' long rolled down the mountain to where it wasn't worth recovering.

this year COVERED in white oysters; pleurotus populinus

batter dipped fried oyster mushrooms for dinner!

woot!

eta: first batch out of the pan, they're awesome

eta2: the only other time I've seen wild oysters in this valley was 2 years ago around the same time I downed this poplar tree. I found a branch in the state forest about 2 miles from here with one small oyster on it and brought the specimen home with me. Eventually it died off before I had a chance to create totem logs with it. In the end I threw the branch down the same bank this poplar log was laying in; maybe 50 feet away.
    Last edited by presence; 08-12-2016 at 06:09 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Pleurotus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pleurotus
    Pleurotus ostreatus
    Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Fungi
    Phylum: Basidiomycota
    Class: Agaricomycetes
    Order: Agaricales
    Family: Pleurotaceae
    Genus: Pleurotus
    (Fr.) P. Kumm. 1871
    Type species
    Pleurotus ostreatus
    (Jacq.) P. Kumm. 1871

Pleurotus is a genus of gilled mushrooms which includes one of the most widely eaten mushrooms, P. ostreatus. Species of Pleurotus may be called oyster, abalone, or tree mushrooms, and are some of the most commonly cultivated edible mushrooms in the world.[1] Pleurotus fungi have been used in mycoremediation of pollutants such as petroleum and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.[2][3]
    Pleurotus means "side ear", from Greek πλευρή (pleurē), "side"[4] + ὠτός (ōtos), genitive of οὖς (ous), "ear".[5]
    Contents

Description

The caps may be laterally attached (with no stem). If there is a stem, it is normally eccentric and the gills are decurrent along it. The term pleurotoid is used for mushrooms having this general shape.[6]
    The spores are smooth and elongated (described as "cylindrical"). Where hyphae meet, they are joined by clamp connections. Pleurotus is not considered to be a bracket fungus, and most of the species are monomitic (with a soft consistency). However, remarkably, Pleurotus dryinus can sometimes be dimitic, meaning that it has additional skeletal hyphae, which give it a tougher consistency like bracket fungi.[7]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurotus

Pleurotus ostreatus, the oyster mushroom, naturally contains up to 2.8% lovastatin on a dry weight basis.[15]

Compactin and lovastatin, natural products with a powerful inhibitory effect on HMG-CoA reductase, were discovered in the 1970s, and taken into clinical development as potential drugs for lowering LDL cholesterol.[16][17]
    In 1982, some small-scale clinical investigations of lovastatin, a polyketide-derived natural product isolated from Aspergillus terreus, in very high-risk patients were undertaken, in which dramatic reductions in LDL cholesterol were observed, with very few adverse effects. After the additional animal safety studies with lovastatin revealed no toxicity of the type thought to be associated with compactin, clinical studies continued.
    Large-scale trials confirmed the effectiveness of lovastatin. Observed tolerability continued to be excellent, and lovastatin was approved by the US FDA in 1987.[18] It was the first statin approved by the FDA.[19]
    Lovastatin is also naturally produced by certain higher fungi, such as Pleurotus ostreatus (oyster mushroom) and closely related Pleurotus spp.[20] Research into the effect of oyster mushroom and its extracts on the cholesterol levels of laboratory animals has been extensive,[21][22][20][23][24][25][26][27][28][29][30][31] although the effect has been demonstrated in a very limited number of human subjects.[32]
    In 1998, the FDA placed a ban on the sale of dietary supplements derived from red yeast rice, which naturally contains lovastatin, arguing that products containing prescription agents require drug approval.[33] Judge Dale A. Kimball of the United States District Court for the District of Utah, granted a motion by Cholestin's manufacturer, Pharmanex, that the agency's ban was illegal under the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act because the product was marketed as a dietary supplement, not a drug.[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovastatin

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Eventually it died off before I had a chance to create totem logs with it. In the end I threw the branch down the same bank this poplar log was laying in; maybe 50 feet away.
    Nature, yay.
    "I am a bird"

out tending deer stands today, many a foot mile through the woods I encountered a number of bolete varietes, one type in particular was fresh enough to collect, I came back with a few palm sized.

I believe the particular ones collected are Tylopilus indecisus

polypore of the bolete type
    initial tongue test not distinctly bitter; bland not distinct
    stem white staining brown upon touch
    pores pale pink staining brown upon touch
    top convex and brown, not red
    top not slimey and smooth to touch
    found east of rocky mountains
    reticulate stem; moreso near top; net like pattern stretched lengthwise
    no scabers on stem
    no reaction to ammonia
    found mixed hardwood lot with hemlock too

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/tylopilus_indecisus.html

Although I do believe they're edible, I probably won't eat these as they're not particularly "yummy" and bolete taxonomy is pretty complicated.

nonetheless good exercise

Last edited by presence; 08-24-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Wow, this old thread is still going.
    Since then I've harvested and eaten a good number of puffballs, and a few boletes too.
    Our church gets a ton of boletes every year, but they're all bitter boletes. Breaks my heart.
    I was just camping up in PA and there was a whole stand of what were most likely porcinis in someone else's camp. I had meant to go back at night and harvest them all but never got to.
    Also I got my hands on some giant puffballs last fall down in NC that had already gone to spore, so I took them home and spread the spores all over the yard. We'll see what happens.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Out foraging in the back yard tonight.

found two nice "Old Man of the Woods"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peppergrasss+flickr+ccl.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	5167

These are bolete type mushrooms with polypore instead of gills. They are edible; I'll eat one for breakfast tomorrow with eggs.

Strobilomyces strobilaceus (Old Man of the Woods)

From Mushrooms of Ontario and Eastern Canada, by George Barron, Lone Pine Publishing, 1999:

Caps are from 5-15 cm across, convex, dry and with thick, fibrous, black scales on a greyish to grey-brown background. Flesh is white, staining red to black. Tubes are white, and stain red, then black. Stalks are up to 13 cm tall by 3 cm wide, coloured as the cap, and shaggy. Spore print is black. Old Man of the Woods fruits on the ground or dead wood. Edible.

I found an abundance of tan coral fungi; also edible... Artomyces pyxidatus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artomyces_pyxidatus

and one distinct specimen of something new to me; PURPLE "violet coral fungi";Clavaria zollingeri.

violet coral is apparently inadvisable to eat; barely edible, acts as laxative.

I also found many examples of
    Pycnoporus cinnabarinus

growing on 2 year dead wild cherry logs; I call this "false chicken of the woods"

Pycnoporus cinnabarinus "Cinnabar Polypore" is generally not considered edible and is distinct from "chicken of the woods" in that

L.sulphureus. has sulphur yellow pores underneath and L. cincinnatus has a whitish underside

whereas
    Pycnoporus cinnabarinuss has orange on the underside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pycnoporus

these are all stock photos btw... I'm not taking pictures
    Last edited by presence; 08-25-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Coral fungi are weird, though. The peppery taste doesn't taste "mushroom" at all.
    At a get-together on a friend's acreage we all decided they would go well in a salad, but that's all we could figure out what to do with them, culinarily.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Coral fungi are weird, though. The peppery taste doesn't taste "mushroom" at all.
    At a get-together on a friend's acreage we all decided they would go well in a salad, but that's all we could figure out what to do with them, culinarily.
    They do well served fresh under a ladle of boiling hot soup; let cool to taste in bowl then eat.

I also enjoy them in scrambled eggs. Precook about as long as you would garlic, then pour your eggs over top.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I just went back and watched it again!

I did this exact process with Reishi mushrooms (the double extraction) - and mixed it with an alcohol tincture I made of schzandra and goji berries. I call it my Chinese Medicine.

I can't hold markers in my hair anymore tho.

Reishi

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I discovered a new edible species in my valley

Ash Tree Bolete

Very distinct pore surface

Attachment 5193

depressed but not conical brown cap; wavy edge, eccentric (off center) stem

ASH TREE BOLETE

(Boletinellus merulioides)

This is one of the most flavorful mushrooms we can find around here. It pops up sporadically between June and October and we generally can pick them 3 or 4 times during the season. As the name implies, they are symbiotic with ash trees but also maples, both of which are in abundance around here. We find them in the lawn, and in the woods, particularly after a good rain. Our favorite way of eating them is fried in butter with scrambled eggs. They also make a great soup.

http://schmidling.com/fungus.htm

roger's lists it as inedible

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...k~bid~5597.asp

not sure why... I don't know of any active compounds; I think it might be a taste issue dependant upon location

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:16 AM
    I have eaten ash tree boletes and thought they were pretty good. I have also eaten some that were pretty disgusting. Im not sure exactly what would make one batch ok and one batch terrible but I stopped gathering them after a couple of collections of the not very good ones. Maybe soil type makes the difference. Maybe I cooked the first batch in a way that disguised the flavor, I dont remember now. The first pick was good enough that I eagerly collected them again. The next couple batches were bad enough that I stopped picking them. The good news about the ash tree boletes is that when they fruit there are probably lots of tasty lobster mushrooms also fruiting somewhere and I dont need to be tempted again.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:29 AM
    I have eaten them fried crispy. Liked them fine. Not a main dish type of thing in my opinion, more of a snack. Might even dip in ranch or french onion dip.

https://wildmushroomhunting.org/inde...-tree-boletes/

Ash-tree Bolete (also called Boletinus porosus and Gyrodon merulioides in some field guides) grows from Michigan to Eastern Canada and south to Texas and Florida. This species is edible, but not recommended, partly because of the chance of confusion with several toxic boletes. That risk aside, the quality and flavor are said to be poor, at least in comparison to better mushrooms.
    the ones I found stained lightly blue in the stem but not at all on the cap
    Last edited by presence; 09-03-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Nice score of very healthy fat oyster clusters this evening. Enough to cover two commercial cookie trays, batter dipped

battered w/ egg/water/olive oil/corn meal/rice flour/baking powder/salt/pepper/onion powder

Picked roadside on 1 year dead standing maple.

Pleurotus is a genus of gilled mushrooms which includes one of the most widely eaten mushrooms, P. ostreatus. Species of Pleurotus may be called oyster, abalone, or tree mushrooms, and are some of the most commonly cultivated edible mushrooms in the world.[1]

Nice score of very healthy fat oyster clusters this evening. Enough to cover two commercial cookie trays, batter dipped

battered w/ egg/water/olive oil/corn meal/rice flour/baking powder/salt/pepper/onion powder

Picked roadside on 1 year dead standing maple.
    Oh, you lucky dog! A friend of mine had a ton of those on a tree in her yard and we ate those suckers until they were gone. Delicious!
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does anyone else like dippin' breaded shrooms in horseradish/garlic and sour-cream dip?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Does anyone else like dippin' breaded shrooms in horseradish/garlic and sour-cream dip?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    that sounds really good.

I'm serving with homemade bbq sauce (catsup/molases/chili powder/onion powder) and homemade honey mustard (local honey, brown mustard, hot sauce)

first tray is gone

that sounds really good.

I'm serving with homemade bbq sauce (catsup/molases/chili powder/onion powder) and homemade honey mustard (local honey, brown mustard, hot sauce)

first tray is gone
    It is. Horseradish dip is what I use on all my fried veg. I especially like it with fried zucchini.

Hunting truffles now a days is likely becoming a trend not just because of the the variety of culinary use of it but it also comes with a very high price tag. A lot of people would pay extra just to get a hold of a very delicious, delicate, and hard to find truffles. On the question how expensive truffles really are, you can read and watch this article about truffle hunting to learn more here https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/ma...uffle-hunting/

Any mushroom hunters

think so kevin....just not sure they were pure strain wild birds....which may ultimately hurt any wild birds that may hit here. That and its illegal to release them privately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12