Thread: More Think the U.S. Does ‘Too Little’ to Solve World Problems

More Think the U.S. Does ‘Too Little’ to Solve World Problems

As New Dangers Loom, More Think the U.S. Does ‘Too Little’ to Solve World Problems
    54% Say Obama Approach on Foreign Policy Is ‘Not Tough Enough’

A large majority of Americans think the world is a more dangerous place than it was several years ago. And a terrorist group that was not even on the public’s radar a year ago – the Islamic militants known as ISIS or ISIL – today ranks near the top of its list of U.S. security threats.

As the public’s views of global threats have changed, so too have opinions about America’s role in solving world problems. On balance, more continue to think the United States does too much, rather than too little, to help solve world problems. But the share saying the U.S. does too little to address global problems has nearly doubled – from 17% to 31% – since last November, while the percentage saying it is doing too much has fallen from 51% to 39%.

Republicans, Democrats and independents all are more likely to say the U.S. does too little to solve world problems, but the shift among Republicans has been striking. Last fall, 52% of Republicans said the U.S. does too much to help solve global problems, while just 18% said it does too little. Today, 46% of Republicans think the U.S. does too little to solve global problems, while 37% say it does too much.

The new national survey by the Pew Research Center and USA TODAY, conducted August 20-24 among 1,501 adults, finds that 65% say the world is more dangerous than it was several years ago; just 7% say the world has gotten safer while 27% say things have not changed much.

Public perceptions of the global threats confronting the United States have changed since the Pew Research Center released its major study of foreign policy attitudes – America’s Place in the World – in December 2013. Currently, 71% view “Islamic extremist groups like al Qaeda” as a major threat to U.S. well-being, about the same as last year. But nearly as many (67%) say “the Islamic militant group in Iraq and Syria known as ISIS,” represents a major threat.

The public generally supports U.S. airstrikes against Islamic militants in Iraq. A survey earlier this month by the Pew Research Center and USA TODAY found that 54% approve of airstrikes against the militants while 31% disapprove. Other ongoing international crises also draw public concern. About half (53%) regard growing tension between Russia and its neighbors as a major threat to the U.S. Last fall, when asked about growing authoritarianism in Russia, just 32% viewed that as a major threat.
    Full article here:
    http://www.people-press.org/2014/08/...orld-problems/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    C'mon world solve your own frickin' problems. The US taxpayers are tapped out.

I guess we could invade sovereign countries, force them to adopt a certain kind of government, tax the daylights out of them, and make them live a Western lifestyle.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

This is another prime example of the term "Foreign Policy" just being thrown around with nothing substantial and almost solely in context with war in the Middle East script.

There is quite a bit to foreign policy. This poll is about as shallow as a mud puddle.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-01-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    C'mon world solve your own frickin' problems. The US taxpayers are tapped out.
    I don't see where the poll actually referenced anything significant. Do you?

trolls
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

I am not sure if the Obama administration is doing anything to solve the world's problems. His people are certainly doing too much to create the world's problems. Look at the recent problems in Iraq that Obama is certainly partly responsible for. Giving supplies to 3 sides in a 3 sided civil war is not a good idea.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

They should poll the rest of the world, see how it contrasts.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    They should poll the rest of the world, see how it contrasts.
    It would absolutely be a huge gap. The rest of the world is actually informed. Foreign Policy is understood. What really annoys me is that we probably have one of the most geo-politically astute demographics in the neighborhood here at RPF and then we get this nonsense. Who the heck is it meant for? I mean, really. It pisses me off every time I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    His people are certainly doing too much to create the world's problems.
    But who are they? Who exactly is advising him? I'm not asking you to answer it specifically. It's just a general question. One without an answer as far as I can tell.

As propaganda intensifies the number of lemmings climbs to all new highs!*

Should be the title anywho....
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

This is neoconservatives going from 'Obama is meddling with everything!' to 'Obama isn't meddling enough!" You can see their narrative everywhere on the news. If you ask me, they are 'building consensus' for all of their projects in advance of what they think will be a win for them in the next election(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Spells trouble for Rand with the sentiment of the American people swings back towards interventionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    This is neoconservatives going from 'Obama is meddling with everything!' to 'Obama isn't meddling enough!" You can see their narrative everywhere on the news. If you ask me, they are 'building consensus' for all of their projects in advance of what they think will be a win for them in the next election(s).
    Who will you vote for in the next election? Will you vote liberal like PRB?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Spells trouble for Rand with the sentiment of the American people swings back towards interventionalism.
    hmmm...i think its a case of a small vocal minority...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.