Thread: Newegg Expands Bitcoin Payments Program to Canadian Customers, Also...Holiday Weekend Sale!

Newegg Expands Bitcoin Payments Program to Canadian Customers, Also...Holiday Weekend Sale!

http://www.coindesk.com/newegg-bitcoin-payments-canada/

Update (27th August 5:20 BST): Newegg has launched an official page on its website dedicated to its new bitcoin program and its related promotions. The company now says the promotion will run until midnight on 1st September, “while funds and/or supplies last”. The article below has been amended to include these conditions.
    UPDATE (26th August 17:45 BST): Newegg’s customer service team is now advising customers that Newegg’s advertised discounts were limited promotions.

Online retail giant Newegg has announced that Canadian customers can now use bitcoin to complete purchases via Newegg.ca.
    With the expansion, Newegg becomes the second major online retailer to extend bitcoin payments from the US to Canada. TigerDirect previously added bitcoin payments to its Canadian website in July.
    Newegg chief marketing officer Soren Mills framed the announcement as one that underscores the company’s commitment to bringing new and emerging payment tools to overseas customers, while illustrating the success the program has had in the US.
    Mills told CoinDesk:
    “We’re encouraged by the enthusiasm – our US customers have embraced bitcoin as a method of payment and we’re excited to extend that capability to our Canadian customers.”
    Newegg began accepting bitcoin payments on 1st July, when it announced a partnership with Georgia-based bitcoin merchant processor BitPay. As part of the program, Mills said BitPay will provide Newegg with Canadian dollars for purchases.
    The Los Angeles-based online retailer earns more than $2.8bn in annual revenue, and was the second billion-dollar merchant to become a BitPay client following TigerDirect.
    Special discounts launched

Newegg has also extended a new deal to Canada-based bitcoin shoppers. Running until 1st September, the promotion will find Newegg customers receiving discounts for reaching certain purchasing benchmarks.
    Newegg customers who spend more than $300 will receive $75 off their purchase by buying in bitcoin, while buyers whose orders exceed $500 are eligible for a $150 discount. The company has since clarified that the maximum value of the promotion per customer is $150, and that its offer cannot be combined with any other promo codes.
    The news follows reports that some bitcoin customers were unable to access discounts through the company’s website or its customer service personnel.
    Mills said that while the savings for consumers are significant, Newegg expects to gain in the long term by fostering support from Canada’s bitcoin consumers. He explained:
    “These aggressive discounts and customer incentives are an investment we make to generate excitement and drive bitcoin-fueled sales in Canada.”
    Newegg brings bitcoin abroad

In addition to its Canadian website, Newegg notable operates Newegg.cn and Newegg.com.tw, which serve the company’s China and Taiwan-based customers.
    Though bitcoin payments are not yet available through either, Soren noted that more announcements from Newegg could be forthcoming, adding:
    “Extending bitcoin acceptance to our Canadian customers is yet another important milestone as we build the company’s international presence.”
    Disclaimer: CoinDesk founder Shakil Khan is an investor in BitPay.
    Image credit: Dan Breckwoldt / Shutterstock.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    US promocode = BITCOINDEAL
    Canada = BITCOINDEALCA

Personally I replace the BTC spent right away on Coinbase.

I've actually been aware of Bitcoin at Newegg since December of last year. A friend of mine built their payment protocol; I was sworn to secrecy

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I've actually been aware of Bitcoin at Newegg since December of last year. A friend of mine built their payment protocol; I was sworn to secrecy
    It's just using Bitpay from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    It's just using Bitpay from what I can tell.
    I'll see if I can get some details on what's going on behind the scenes.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

So did anyone take advantage of this? I bought $500 worth of stuff so I could get that $150 off.

Got a Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512GB and some nice noise cancelling headphones.

The transaction was so fast it already said "paid" in the split second it took me to switch back to their tab. Green addresses hosted by Bitpay & Coinbase work perfectly fine for instant payment. There is no 10 minute block solving wait.

I've been making my newegg lists and then fulfilling with Amazon. Typically I save 10-20% this way. Newegg needs to learn not to spam its customers or annoy with popups or opt-in/pre-checked boxes for more spam.

One of the more annoying things newegg does is some onsight ads load slow (deliberately in one case as it was some snark focused on lag). The page appears, you go to click the area of interest, then BOOM, an image finally loads and you misclick as the page reflows. These are not third-party ads that adblock+ would normally block. They're garbage and the customer service sucks. Not that I'm defending Amazon but at least I can save money with them and they seem to not be as bothersome when checking out (newegg requires you to check agreement to T/C and uncheck a spam permission box).

Before the constant and always re-opting spam (a current fad is pleas to review the product where they delete your reviews if you complain about newegg itself), Newegg was already getting harder to search and navigate with all the non-tech crap they add and duplicate listings. Drill down has become slog through. Too much like Amazon without the savings.

Gimmicks like this - not to dismiss bitcoin - don't surprise me.