Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a Gander at America’s Most Heavily Armed Counties. The Ones That Aren’t on the Map Might

Take a Gander at America’s Most Heavily Armed Counties. The Ones That Aren’t on the Map Might

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-surprise-you/

My Parish is the 5th most armed "county" in the country. Come and take them.

Six Louisiana parishes rank in the top 30, with Idaho, Utah and Vermont also boasting healthy figures.
    The list, per Ramesses_Deux:

1. Fairbanks borough, AK – 59.1%
    2. Tooele County, UT – 59.1%
    3. Nez Perce County, ID – 59.0%
    4. Armstrong County, PA – 57.6%
    5. Rapides Parish, LA – 52.8%
    6. Teller County, CO – 52.3%
    7. Darlington County, SC – 52.1%
    8. Franklin County, VT – 51.7%
    9. Randolph County, NC – 51.1%
    10. Canyon County, ID – 50.9%
    11. Anchorage Municipality, AK – 50.0%
    12. Laramie County, WY – 49.6%
    13. Davis County, UT – 48.8%
    14. Yellowstone County, MT – 48.7%
    15. Franklin County, PA – 48.5%
    16. Pennington County, SD – 48.5%
    17. Terrebonne Parish, LA – 47.9%
    18. Ouachita Parish, LA – 47.6%
    19. Florence County, SC – 47.6%
    20. Orange County, VT – 47.0%
    21. Calcasieu Parish, LA – 46.4%
    22. Weber County, UT – 46.3%
    23. Kanawha County, WV – 45.2%
    24. Ada County, ID – 45.0%
    25. Pulaski County, AR – 44.7%
    26. Minnehaha County, SD – 44.7%
    27. Westmoreland County, PA – 44.0%
    28. Pinal County, AZ – 43.6%
    29. St. Tammany Parish, LA – 42.5%
    30. Caddo Parish, LA – 42.2%
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Looks like my county comes in 9th.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Looks like my county comes in 9th.
    Doesn't it feel good to know you have armed neighbors? I feel better knowing most people have guns. When SHTF, we may be able to survive.

I kinda wondered who really commissioned this study and for what purpose.

In Louisiana, if you don't have a gun you are weird. (must be a yank)
    Last edited by torchbearer; 09-01-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Seems like a hard statistic to keep up with.

How many of those counties are urban areas? The 2 most urban places in AK are where the highest percentage of gun ownership is? That doesn't make sense to me but okay.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Isn't this actually a list of the most weapons registered?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Isn't this actually a list of the most weapons registered?

data from here: http://www.city-data.com/top2/co8.html

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Doesn't it feel good to know you have armed neighbors? I feel better knowing most people have guns. When SHTF, we may be able to survive.

I can believe it too. I honestly dont know any man here that doesnt own a gun.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Just a guess without checking them all out but aren't they mostly all small population, rural counties?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Probably indicates the counties where the sheep are most likely to answer surveys.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Just a guess without checking them all out but aren't they mostly all small population, rural counties?
    Going by the link that was posted, it looks like the places you mentioned were purposely excluded. http://www.city-data.com/top2/co8.html
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Only six of the Top 30 at your link have more than 200,000 people. In the Top Ten, only three have more than 100,000. I'd consider those to be mostly smaller counties. (I don't see anything in either the OP story or at the link which says that small populations were excluded).

A quick check of the Top Ten:
    1. Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK, pop. 82,840 32% rural
    2. Tooele County, UT pop. 40,735 18% rural
    3. Nez Perce County, ID pop. 37,410 19% rural
    4. Armstrong County, PA (Kittanning, Ford City, Leechburg), pop. 72,392 67% rural
    5. Rapides Parish, LA (Alexandria, Pineville, Ball), pop. 126,337 40% rural
    6. Teller County, CO (Woodland Park, Cripple Creek, Green Mountain Falls), pop. 20,555 63% rural
    7. Darlington County, SC (Hartsville, Darlington, North Hartsville), pop. 67,394 58% rural
    8. Franklin County, VT (St. Albans, Swanton, Fairfax), pop. 45,417 72% rural
    9. Randolph County, NC (Asheboro, Archdale, Trinity), pop. 130,454 56% rural
    10. Canyon County, ID (Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton), pop. 131,441 20% rural
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Folks in this neighborhood are out shooting every day. Some weekends it sounds like they are preparing for the zombie apocalypse in all directions. It is a major reason why I don't want to leave here.

That map needs a 'next 60' counties in orange, and a 'next 120' in yellow. That would say a lot more I think.

According to a Gallop poll in 2012, gun owners tend to be Southern, married, Republican, and white.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160223/me...un-owners.aspx

Men, Married, Southerners Most Likely to Be Gun Owners
    Nearly two-thirds of Southern married men own guns

PRINCETON, NJ -- Men are three times more likely than women to personally own guns, representing one of the largest demographic differences in gun ownership, according to an analysis of Gallup polls from 2007 to 2012. Gun ownership also varies significantly by region, with Southerners more likely to own guns than those living in other regions of the United States. Marriage is also a strong predictor of gun ownership.
    Across those six data sets, an average of 30% of Americans said they personally own a gun. Another 14% did not personally own a gun but live in a household with someone who does. The results presented here focus mainly on personal gun ownership, though the demographic patterns are similar among the larger group of Americans living in gun households.

In addition to gender, Southern residence, and marital status, personal gun ownership also varies significantly by age, race, and political ideology.

Non-Hispanic whites (33%) are significantly more likely than nonwhites (22%) to own guns. Hispanics (18%) in particular show below-average gun ownership. Twenty-one percent of blacks own a gun.
    Younger Americans (20%) are much less likely to own guns than older Americans. There are only minor differences among adults 30 and older by age group (ranging between 31% and 34%).
    Gun ownership is much higher among those who are politically conservative (39%) than among those who are politically liberal (17%).

However, gender is by far the strongest predictor of personally owning a gun. A statistical model shows the odds of a man owning a gun are five times greater than the odds of a woman owning a gun, once the influence of other factors related to gun ownership is taken into account. Being from the South and being married are the next-most influential predictors; each is associated with 1.7 times greater odds of owning a gun than among those who are not married and among those who do not live in the South. Being Hispanic and being from the East are associated with lower gun ownership, but on a relative basis, these are the next strongest predictors of gun ownership, followed by race, ideology, and age.
    Gun owners are predominantly male, and Southern residents are especially likely to own guns. Those patterns are fairly well known, and likely a result of cultural factors, but being married is also a major predictor of personally owning a gun or having a gun in the household. The reasons behind the relationship between marital status and gun ownership are not obvious, though it could be that marriage rates are higher among other subgroups that tend to own guns, such as older Americans and those who are politically conservative. Married people may also have greater financial resources to own a gun, and may be more likely to feel a need to own a gun for security reasons (though there is no difference in gun ownership among people with and without young children).
    Lots more detail at the link.

Only six of the Top 30 at your link have more than 200,000 people. In the Top Ten, only three have more than 100,000. I'd consider those to be mostly smaller counties. (I don't see anything in either the OP story or at the link which says that small populations were excluded).
    It is different but in the link that was posted, only non-rural counties are included. It is the top 101. http://www.city-data.com/top2/co8.html

I has the sad. Even the the #1 reports less than 60%.

According to a Gallop poll in 2012, gun owners tend to be Southern, married, Republican, and white.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160223/me...un-owners.aspx

Lots more detail at the link.
    Well 3 out of 4 ain't bad. I gave up on the GOP. Is Oklahoma Southern?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Very proud of my home county right now.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I has the sad. Even the the #1 reports less than 60%.
    No stats are given at all on how this information was acquired.If some stranger on the phone asked you how many guns you own,what would you say?

1) Fairbanks borough, AK – 59.1% Only two counties in Alaska and none in Texas?
    I would bet that most of the more rural locals in Alaska Have a higher rate of gun ownership than Fairbanks,the second largest city in the State.

Edit:
    Oh,and the other location in Alaska is Anchorage,by far the largest locality in the State.
    Yeah,right...
    Last edited by mad cow; 09-01-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    No stats are given at all on how this information was acquired.If some stranger on the phone asked you how many guns you own,what would you say?

1) Fairbanks borough, AK – 59.1% Only two counties in Alaska and none in Texas?
    I would bet that most of the more rural locals in Alaska Have a higher rate of gun ownership than Fairbanks,the second largest city in the State.

Edit:
    Oh,and the other location in Alaska is Anchorage,by far the largest locality in the State.
    Yeah,right...
    I haz the happy's again. +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    anything north of the Red river is NOT Texas..
    I would answer yes, Oklahoma is southern. Kansas is not.

Little Rock is a pretty big town. it is the one shown for Arkansas.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Name an Indian tribe that fought on behalf of the Union which had screwed them so often.

Of course it's south of the Mason-Dixon.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    anything north of the Red river is NOT Texas..
    The smiley indicating that this is rarely considered a disadvantage by anyone but Texans. And they tend to be a bit, well...

You've seen Dubya. You know what I mean. A bit, shall we say, sun baked..?

I would answer yes, Oklahoma is southern. Kansas is not.
    Quite correct, though some in Bloody Kansas wanted to paint the Mason-Dixon down the middle of the state.

Little Rock is a pretty big town. it is the one shown for Arkansas.
    Thought that's which county that was. They have to be ready in case the Clintons try to come back there.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-01-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

A quick check of the Top Ten:
    1. Fairbanks North Star Borough, AK, pop. 82,840 32% rural
    2. Tooele County, UT pop. 40,735 18% rural
    3. Nez Perce County, ID pop. 37,410 19% rural
    4. Armstrong County, PA (Kittanning, Ford City, Leechburg), pop. 72,392 67% rural
    5. Rapides Parish, LA (Alexandria, Pineville, Ball), pop. 126,337 40% rural
    6. Teller County, CO (Woodland Park, Cripple Creek, Green Mountain Falls), pop. 20,555 63% rural
    7. Darlington County, SC (Hartsville, Darlington, North Hartsville), pop. 67,394 58% rural
    8. Franklin County, VT (St. Albans, Swanton, Fairfax), pop. 45,417 72% rural
    9. Randolph County, NC (Asheboro, Archdale, Trinity), pop. 130,454 56% rural
    10. Canyon County, ID (Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton), pop. 131,441 20% rural

What does the census say about the racial make-up of rapides parish and alexandria specifically? may blow some stereotypes.

I highly doubt that this is accurate. I am going to have to go out on a limb and say that Arizona's Maricopa county, Pinal County and Coconino county are in the top 10...and there is a reason they are not listed (We don't need permits to conceal, or to buy..and we can directly sell and buy firearms without background checks. )

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Name an Indian tribe that fought on behalf of the Union which had screwed them so often.

Of course it's south of the Mason-Dixon.

The smiley indicating that this is rarely considered a disadvantage by anyone but Texans. And they tend to be a bit, well...

You've seen Dubya. You know what I mean. A bit, shall we say, sun baked..?
    Texas did not even make the list. I like them but, they do seem to blow a lot of hot air. normally, I have to say, "thank GAWD for Mississippi" ...

so, about that Indian tribe?

it is easy to spot a Texan around here... they have License plates on the front.... come to think of it... OK does not?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has anyone compared the crime statistics of those counties compared to the least armed counties?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Folks in this neighborhood are out shooting every day. Some weekends it sounds like they are preparing for the zombie apocalypse in all directions. It is a major reason why I don't want to leave here.

That map needs a 'next 60' counties in orange, and a 'next 120' in yellow. That would say a lot more I think.
    What county is that? I am sooooooooooooooooo ready to blow the Mecklenburg County/Union County popstand .. Too many crooks, maggots, drug addicts running shotgun over those two counties.

There we go Westmoreland County, PA !

What does the census say about the racial make-up of rapides parish and alexandria specifically? may blow some stereotypes.
    According to the link http://www.city-data.com/county/Rapides_Parish-LA.html Rapides Parish is 64% white not of hispanic origin.
    Alexandria is 36% white. Since the ranking is based on the entire parish and the gun ownership not broken down by cities, we must go by the Parish number.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-01-2014 at 10:24 PM.

I bet that there are areas in Alaska where more than 60% of the locals don't walk to their outhouses without guns,at least when the bears are out of hibernation.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Off to Juneau tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast