Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what point in history would you say America was at it's best?

At what point in history would you say America was at it's best?

We often make comparisons to the past, in relationship to the present, as though the past was some kind of utopia. To be honest, I see atrocities in our history that are down right shameful. Of course there are periods where things were better than they are today, which brings me to my question. At what point in history would you say America was at it's best?
    Last edited by Constitutional Paulicy; 08-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pre 1492. It's been all down hill from there.

1776-1789 (Until the Federalists sold out the American Revolution with their CONstitution coup of the AoC.)
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 08-31-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Post WW2 till JFK.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

1880-1920

An insane amount of innovation, wealth creation and still a relative amount of freedom.

Once the damage done by WWI and the Progressive Era took hold, it's been all downhill since then, even if it didn't appear so on the surface.

June 1775.

Print available here:
    http://www.printsoldandrare.com/boston/

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    1880-1920

An insane amount of innovation, wealth creation and still a relative amount of freedom.

Once the damage done by WWI and the Progressive Era took hold, it's been all downhill since then, even if it didn't appear so on the surface.
    I would peg it as the period between the Civil War and WWI. We were pretty much at peace. We had about as much freedom as we've ever had, and then started losing it right after this period. Immigrants were arriving in droves, becoming Americans, and contributing to a rapidly expanding economy. Ever since that period, we have never been as free or as prosperous.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Post WW2 till JFK.
    A good argument can be made for this period as well, especially if you only consider the post-WWII period. The big exception during this time would be Korea.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    1776-1789 (Until the Federalists sold out the American Revolution with Their CONstitution coup of the AoC.)
    Since slavery was first allowed in 1789, I'd have to think freedom and civil rights were less likely to be trampled on prior to the end date you mentioned.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Probably ~1000-1492. Technology improving, great cities and villages being built/lived in (Acoma and Taos pueblos, for instance) and a much lovelier natural environment.

I'll take a handful of warring tribes over what we have today.
    "There never was a good war or a bad peace." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Snew View Post
    Probably ~1000-1492. Technology improving, great cities and villages being built/lived in (Acoma and Taos pueblos, for instance) and a much lovelier natural environment.

I'll take a handful of warring tribes over what we have today.
    Ya, when you consider the American Indians and African Americans, you're talking about the entire span of our nations history.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I'm leaning towards this^^
    - Josef Stalin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1776-1789 (Until the Federalists sold out the American Revolution with their CONstitution coup of the AoC.)
    If you're talk'n the official country and not the continent, then I agree with Ronin Truth.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    Since slavery was first allowed in 1789, I'd have to think freedom and civil rights were less likely to be trampled on prior to the end date you mentioned.
    We inherited slavery from the Brits.

Scalping, as well.
    There is no spoon.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

The Portuguese were the first European power that took to slavery and they were originally looking for gold in West Africa. The existing network was so lucrative there that they decided to take their hand in it and the rest is history. Slavery traces back to the 7th century on the continent of Africa and was commonplace among the native peoples there.

1880-1920

The Golden Era in my opinion.

1880-1920

I would subtract 7 years. 1913 was a very bad year for liberty. Income tax and the federal reserve. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    I would subtract 7 years. 1913 was a very bad year for liberty. Income tax and the federal reserve. Ouch!
    Very true, but, like I said, it took a while (almost 100 years) for the chickens to come home to roost.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    A good argument can be made for this period as well, especially if you only consider the post-WWII period. The big exception during this time would be Korea.
    Just curious as to why? My personal view is that every single war the U.S. has ever fought in has been unnecessary with the exception being the Revolution and the War of 1812... and possibly Korea.

Korea is that one exception that has always bothered me: the people in the south were promised by the U.S. and Soviets at the end of ww2 that their independence could be maintained. Although vehemently opposed to intervention, they trusted us and were promised. It's just the one exception I struggle to oppose, and am curious if there are reasons beyond my understanding that better solidifies a position of nonintervention in that particular case?

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Just curious as to why? My personal view is that every single war the U.S. has ever fought in has been unnecessary with the exception being the Revolution and the War of 1812... and possibly Korea.

Korea is that one exception that has always bothered me: the people in the south were promised by the U.S. and Soviets at the end of ww2 that their independence could be maintained. Although vehemently opposed to intervention, they trusted us and were promised. It's just the one exception I struggle to oppose, and am curious if there are reasons beyond my understanding that better solidifies a position of nonintervention in that particular case?
    Because other than Korea, we weren't at war during this period (yes, this also overlooks the whole Cuba thing). Aside from the first few years after WWII, this was probably the longest period of real prosperity we've had after WWII. Wealth was still being created, we were building and exporting things, American products were considered among the best in the world. Indeed, things were built to last during this time, and many of those items are still in use today, and are still highly valued for their quality construction. The interstate highway system was conceived and partially constructed, which was a major national infrastructure improvement. Ever since this time, we have not had as long of a period in which we have not been at war and had prosperity for Main St.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Because other than Korea, we weren't at war during this period (yes, this also overlooks the whole Cuba thing). Aside from the first few years after WWII, this was probably the longest period of real prosperity we've had after WWII. Wealth was still being created, we were building and exporting things, American products were considered among the best in the world. Indeed, things were built to last during this time, and many of those items are still in use today, and are still highly valued for their quality construction. The interstate highway system was conceived and partially constructed, which was a major national infrastructure improvement. Ever since this time, we have not had as long of a period in which we have not been at war and had prosperity for Main St.
    I agree, that was a very prosperous time for our country. I wasn't questioning that at all. It was more a curiosity from other noninterventionists as to why they feel that the U.S. should not have intervened in the Korean War?

Don't you people know that NOW is the best time, and the future is only brighter? You can now shovel in all the food you want because government will help you diet. Gay people have rights because they can now get marriage permits. Technology means you can practically sleep while your car drives itself.

You also have more rights because we've built governments compassionate enough to give them to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    I agree, that was a very prosperous time for our country. I wasn't questioning that at all. It was more a curiosity from other noninterventionists as to why they feel that the U.S. should not have intervened in the Korean War?
    If we had any sort of treaty with Korea, I'm unaware of it. Treaty or no treaty, promise to Korea or no promise, this was an undeclared war. Or was it? Did we actually have a proper declaration of war here? I don't believe we did, but it's certainly possible I'm mistaken.

I think a key point that decided this country's fate in terms of future global interventionism was the Marshall Plan which eventually led to the creation of NATO & EU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast