Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted Cruz: We ought to bomb ISIS back to the stone age

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Are you advocating for the BS that's been going on or a declaration of war?
    Declaration of war, or letters of marque and reprisal depending on how you classify ISIS.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Declaration of war, or letters of marque and reprisal depending on how you classify ISIS.
    What has this group of people with no country actually done that warrants a declaration of war?

I don't watch the Tee-Vee so my newz is pretty limited, I've read that they chopped the head off some dude they considered a spy and made threats...

Have they actually done anything else to the US?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Would it be preemptive war when they've beheaded a U.S citizen and have clearly stated that they intend to attack the United States and kill Americans? I understand that U.S intervention overseas is largely responsible for the rise of ISIS, like Rand said, but I don't necessarily see how this would be "preemptive war" like when we invaded Iraq in 2003. We have the permission of the Iraqi government to launch the air strikes. The air strikes would be launched against a group that murdered a U.S citizen and have stated that they're at war with the United States. I'm undecided at this point whether air strikes would be a good idea or not, but I just don't really see it as "preemptive war" like the war in Iraq or war in Vietnam was.
    *facepalm*

You said you weren't losing your anti-war positions, but it seems like you are. Don't fall for the propaganda. Don't support any involvement.

What has this group of people with no country actually done that warrants a declaration of war?

I don't watch the Tee-Vee so my newz is pretty limited, I've read that they chopped the head off some dude they considered a spy and made threats...

Have they actually done anything else to the US?
    They have threatened the U.S. and are committing genocide.

I don't know that they have done anything else to the U.S. I have no interest to wait and see what they have in store, especially with out porous border.

I don't know that they have done anything else to the U.S. I have no interest to wait and see what they have in store, especially with out porous border.
    Sorry man.

Not enough for me to jump on the war wagon...

Sorry man.

Not enough for me to jump on the war wagon...
    War comes in all shapes and sizes. I wouldn't put troops on the ground, or even engage ISIS via airstrikes in urban areas. But I have no problem with organizing opposition and taking out supply lines.

War comes in all shapes and sizes. I wouldn't put troops on the ground, or even engage ISIS via airstrikes in urban areas. But I have no problem with organizing opposition and taking out supply lines.
    I can't go for this "We're not really at war, our soldiers and equipment are just helping other folks." BS

Either declare war and an objective or GTFO...

But nobody consults with me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, arming any regional powers in the area is the same as giving arms to ISIS.
    No kidding. The chemical and Bio weapons we went to war against Saddam over were GIVEN to him by US. ISIS were the rebels we were supposed to be backing in Syria against Assad. Now we are debating about going into Syria and attacking these rebels were we supposed to be arming.

Instinctively, I want to help the Christians in Iraq, but I don't trust these #@$^! murderers running our government. Even if it's just dropping bombs and no troops on the ground. Google: "Children casualties of US drones."

What is going on over there is due to the U.S. government following policy dictated by the Military Industrial Congressional Complex of which Cruz is a member.

When was the last time we were able to take out an amorphous terror group like this through military action?

I actually share a bit of a different view towards them than your average libertarian because I think there are many things we probably can do to help the situation but all through peaceful means. Given that we created the mess, we are in a special situation where our actions can influence the region in a very positive sense. Hint: bombing family members generally does not win people over to the anti-terror side.
    Last edited by Anti-Neocon; 08-31-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

This is basically the same position that Rand has taken, so it seems like if people are going to criticize Cruz for taking this position, then they should criticize Rand as well. The only difference is that Rand wouldn't use that type of rhetoric.
    That's a mighty bold claim. Please cite your source where Rand has advocated anything remotely similar to "bombing ISIS back to the stone age". This I gotta see.

This thread makes me smh. People still believe the beheading video is real? Sorry but if you honestly think that video is legit then you are a sheep and a moron.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    This thread makes me smh. People still believe the beheading video is real? Sorry but if you honestly think that video is legit then you are a sheep and a moron.
    I lack knowledge about this incident. What leads you to believe it is fake?

That's a mighty bold claim. Please cite your source where Rand has advocated anything remotely similar to "bombing ISIS back to the stone age". This I gotta see.

Rand is still implying that airstrikes are justified, but he is being a little more subtle about it.

I do think it matters.

If one guy very reluctantly advocates a bombing that will inevitably lead to "collateral damage" because he doesn't see another option, and another guy seems almost itching to go in guns blazing, I'd say the second guy is worse than the first guy.

The problem is that they're still both bad. Rand Paul is continuing to play with fire... I just hope he doesn't burn himself (or anyone else.)

Ted Cruz, well, he basically already lit himself AND the rest of us on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    All of it.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

All of it.
    Can you name specific attributes of it which make it look fishy/conspiratorial? You're the first person I've heard say that and I'm just genuinely interested.

Can you name specific attributes of it which make it look fishy/conspiratorial? You're the first person I've heard say that and I'm just genuinely interested.
    Easier to direct you to the plethora of vids already examining it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...beheading+fake
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...beheading+hoax

Watch it. There is no beheading.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    *facepalm*

You said you weren't losing your anti-war positions, but it seems like you are. Don't fall for the propaganda. Don't support any involvement.
    I don't see how supporting one intervention makes one pro war. I mean, if I oppose 99 out of 100 interventions, but support one limited intervention with air strikes, that somehow makes me some warmongering neocon? I'm opposed to intervening for humanitarian reasons, but I support defending our country and responding to national security threats, and I think it's getting to the point where ISIS poses a direct and present threat to U.S national security.

The video itself was fake, but I read that it was still confirmed that Foley was killed off camera.
    Last edited by Brett85; 08-31-2014 at 05:59 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He didn't use the kind of rhetoric that Cruz used, but he said that he supports the air strikes against ISIS.

Regarding ISIS, the Islamic State terrorist organization that has grown a foothold in Syria and Iraq, Paul said he supports airstrikes. But if he were the president in this situation, unlike Obama, he would have called Congress back from recess to sell both chambers on action—and seek authorization before using America’s armed forces there.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...k-Rise-Of-ISIS

I don't see how supporting one intervention makes one pro war. I mean, if I oppose 99 out of 100 interventions, but support one limited intervention with air strikes, that somehow makes me some warmongering neocon? I'm opposed to intervening for humanitarian reasons, but I support defending our country and responding to national security threats, and I think it's getting to the point where ISIS poses a direct and present threat to U.S national security.
    I didn't call you a "warmongering neocon." I think you're falling for some of the hype and starting to compromise to some degree. You're still more anti-war than the average American, not even close. But I don't think you're a strict noninterventionist anymore (if you ever were.)

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I didn't call you a "warmongering neocon." I think you're falling for some of the hype and starting to compromise to some degree. You're still more anti-war than the average American, not even close. But I don't think you're a strict noninterventionist anymore (if you ever were.)
    I've come to the conclusion that it may be best to have a foreign policy where we start from the stand point of non intervention, where we start from the perspective that we shouldn't intervene overseas, and then only support intervention in rare circumstances, when we really have no other options. I'm just not convinced at this point that a strict non interventionist foreign policy is realistic. For instance, what if Iran were to close down the straight of Hormuz? If that happened, the price of gas would probably go to $20 a gallon. That would directly affect U.S national security. No one could afford to travel. It would destroy our economy. I think that non intervention is the way to go 98% of the time, but we still have to examine each individual situation and see whether or not it's realistic to do nothing. The vast majority of the time it's realistic to do nothing, and the vast majority of the time doing nothing is the best option. But it may not always be. But in the rare situations where we have to intervene overseas, I think Congress should have to approve it, there should be a clear objective and goals, we should go all out and complete the objective, and then get out and bring all of our troops back home. We should never indefinitely occupy a country and use our military for the purpose of nation building.
    Last edited by Brett85; 08-31-2014 at 06:26 PM.

I've come to the conclusion that it may be best to have a foreign policy where we start from the stand point of non intervention, where we start from the perspective that we shouldn't intervene overseas, and then only support intervention in rare circumstances, when we really have no other options. I'm just not convinced at this point that a strict non interventionist foreign policy is realistic. For instance, what if Iran were to close down the straight of Hormuz? If that happened, the price of gas would probably go to $20 a gallon. That would directly affect U.S national security. No one could afford to travel. It would destroy our economy. I think that non intervention is the way to go 98% of the time, but we still have to examine each individual situation and see whether or not it's realistic to do nothing. The vast majority of the time it's realistic to do nothing, and the vast majority of the time doing nothing is the best option. But it may not always be. But in the rare situations where we have to intervene overseas, I think Congress should have to approve it, there should be a clear objective and goals, we should go all out and complete the objective, and then get out and bring all of our troops back home. We should never indefinitely occupy a country and use our military for the purpose of nation building.
    Do you really think that all we need is airstrikes to take out ISIS? Do you really think there won't be "boots on the ground?" We shall revisit this in a month and see how well this whole "take out ISIS before they take us out" strategy works.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Do you really think that all we need is airstrikes to take out ISIS? Do you really think there won't be "boots on the ground?" We shall revisit this in a month and see how well this whole "take out ISIS before they take us out" strategy works.
    Yes, but when that happens, the whole argument of "well, we shouldn't have intervened but we don't have a choice now because they're attacking us" is going to be thrown out. And people will fall for it. Traditional Conservative will fall for it... heck, I bet every minarchist falls for it. Why wouldn't they? After all, they think the State is legitimate, and the State was attacked, the fact that they provoked the attack be damned. Its Pearl Harbor and 9/11 all over again.

I don't think that Obama will send combat troops back into Iraq. What he's done his entire Presidency is launch air strikes but not send in ground troops like Bush and Cheney did. I don't see any evidence that combat troops are going to be sent back into Iraq, and I don't see how airstrikes are going to make it any more likely that combat troops will be sent there. Any AUMF that is passed, if there is one, will specifically exclude combat troops. Otherwise it won't pass.

I don't think that Obama will send combat troops back into Iraq. What he's done his entire Presidency is launch air strikes but not send in ground troops like Bush and Cheney did. I don't see any evidence that combat troops are going to be sent back into Iraq, and I don't see how airstrikes are going to make it any more likely that combat troops will be sent there. Any AUMF that is passed, if there is one, will specifically exclude combat troops. Otherwise it won't pass.
    Yes... we'll just conveniently keep 1500 or so "non boots on the ground that are actually on the ground" in harms way so we have a perpetual reason to bomb to "protect them"

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Yes... we'll just conveniently keep 1500 or so "non boots on the ground that are actually on the ground" in harms way so we have a perpetual reason to bomb to "protect them"
    That's a good point. I don't really understand why we need troops on the ground for the purpose of gathering intelligence regarding where to bomb. I would think that our CIA could do that.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I would still point out that any military action taken against ISIS needs to be approved by Congress. The President doesn't have the Constitutional authority to just bomb whoever he wants to whenever he wants to.

Because air strikes alone won't do anything to ISIS. For every member of ISIS killed by an airstrike more are recruited because we will inevitably kill innocent civilians. So without troops on the ground, air strikes will only achieve one thing and that is make more money for the bomb makers.

Because air strikes alone won't do anything to ISIS. For every member of ISIS killed by an airstrike more are recruited because we will inevitably kill innocent civilians. So without troops on the ground, air strikes will only achieve one thing and that is make more money for the bomb makers.
    Ok. But what happens if we do nothing and they just take over Iraq and Syria? What would happen if they just took over the entire Middle East and refused to sell oil to us? The price of gas would be too expensive for anyone to drive. There are all kinds of terrible things that can happen if ISIS is able to take over these countries and actually establish their own government in these countries. If nothing we can do can actually solve the problem, then we may be in big trouble, because the entire Middle East will be controlled by a terrorist group that hates us and will try to collapse our economy by not selling oil to us.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast