Thread: Remember that guy who tried to shut down a kids' lemonade stand? He's under investigation now

Thumbs up Remember that guy who tried to shut down a kids' lemonade stand? He's under investigation now

FFS, what an $#@!. :P Part of the "see something, say something" crowd. He richly deserves this.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...investigation/

Today in turnabout: A Florida man who became an Internet villain after his quest to shut down a child’s lemonade stand went viral is now under investigation for potentially running an unlicensed home business.

Doug Wilkey, 61, has contacted city officials in Dunedin at least four times in the past two years in an attempt to get law enforcement to shut down the lemonade stand operated by his young neighbor, T.J. Guerrero. Wilkey’s complaint, the Tampa Bay Times reported last weekend, is that the lemonade stand is an “‘illegal business’ that causes excessive traffic, noise, trash, illegal parking and other problems that reduce his property values.”
    CNN said the city sent a community police officer to look into the complaints, which came only from Wilkey. But after speaking to neighbors, the city concluded that the stand run by Guerrero, who is 12, wasn’t really an issue.
    Well. The city of Dunedin’s planning director is finally going to give a robust response to Wilkey’s complaints — except probably not in the way he’d hoped, the Tampa newspaper reported in a follow-up story.
    “(Wilkey’s) not following the rules either, or doesn’t seem to be,” planning director Greg Rice told the Times.
    Wilkey uses his home address for a business he runs, according to the Times. An anonymous individual brought this to the attention of Rice, who told the paper that he’s in the process of writing a letter to Wilkey, informing him that he needs to purchase a business license and sign an affidavit in order to operate a business within Dunedin city limits. If he doesn’t comply with the ordinance he seems to be violating, Wilkey potentially faces a daily fine, the Times reported.
    Guerrero’s lemonade stand — still in operation, despite Wilkey’s efforts to shut it down — charges $1 for a glass of lemonade and 50 cents for a cookie. The 12-year-old operates his stand on a busy street corner in his neighborhood, with the permission of the corner house’s owners.
    And business is booming now that Wilkey’s complaints have made international news; Guerrero even has the support of a local radio host who, among other things, sent a staffer to help him handle all the extra business.
    The kid earned extra points for what he’s done with his increased profits, which include donations from strangers who can’t visit the stand: He took his mom out to dinner, the Times reported. Most of the money will go into savings, and his family is looking into donating some of the money to charity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Maybe Karma really does exist. Stinking douchebag.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ooops.

Never Call Cops

"First they came for the lemonade stands".

Moron.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm telling you, the kid is behind the whole thing. He got this guy to complain as a false flag. Now the guy wants to get paid and the kid isn't going for it- "anonymous individual" my ass... he's gonna take the old man down.

It's karma and I agree he deserves the boot on his neck since he wanted it on his neighbors.

But I'm kind of confused as to what laws he's violating. Laws are often very confusing. The article and the other article it links to is very vague. They say he needs a license to operate his business out of his house. Kind of has me worried. I am self-employed and president of my own corporation. My corporation's headquarters' address is my house. Up until last November my address was on an agricultural zoned piece of land. I moved my residence in November to a small community and our lot is zoned residential... I might have to change something.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    It's karma and I agree he deserves the boot on his neck since he wanted it on his neighbors.

But I'm kind of confused as to what laws he's violating. Laws are often very confusing. The article and the other article it links to is very vague. They say he needs a license to operate his business out of his house. Kind of has me worried. I am self-employed and president of my own corporation. My corporation's headquarters' address is my house. Up until last November my address was on an agricultural zoned piece of land. I moved my residence in November to a small community and our lot is zoned residential... I might have to change something.
    My advice from my experience in studying small business-get a lawyer who knows about this kind of thing. Lawyers generally suck :P , but they can cover your legal ass.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post

Reported.

Regardless of his private ventures and general $#@!ness he should not be shut down by thugs. To be clear, that is what these state's enforcers are. Giving them legitimacy in any case, one ought not argue when they themselves are paying exorbitant commissions for whatever business they choose to endeavor in.

It would liken to laughing when Mafioso extort the neighbor beside you as you are in disagreement.

How about the business name be offered by the coward who went to zoning officials and letting people speak? Couldn't have that in America--The freest country on earth... in some regards (if that's any consolation). Just don't be unlucky, or arguably dickish enough, to get that boot on your neck, you'll be just fine. And don't be unlucky.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

FFS...a person can't even be an $#@! without big government getting involved.

For Round 2, the kid will have someone call SWAT on him...

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Regardless of his private ventures and general $#@!ness he should not be shut down by thugs. To be clear, that is what these state's enforcers are. Giving them legitimacy in any case, one ought not argue when they themselves are paying exorbitant commissions for whatever business they choose to endeavor in.

It would liken to laughing when Mafioso extort the neighbor beside you as you are in disagreement.

How about the business name be offered by the coward who went to zoning officials and letting people speak? Couldn't have that in America--The freest country on earth... in some regards (if that's any consolation). Just don't be unlucky, or arguably dickish enough, to get that boot on your neck, you'll be just fine. And don't be unlucky.
    Good point. Schadenfreude got the best of me.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    FFS...a person can't even be an $#@! without big government getting involved.
    Not entirely true....
    "The Patriarch"