Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a microchip implant in your future?

Is there a microchip implant in your future?

When I read this stuff I can't help but think about this Bill Burr bit...

You can inject one under your skin and no one will ever notice. Using short-range radio frequency identification (RFID) signals, it can transmit your identity as you pass through a security checkpoint or walk into a football stadium. It can help you buy groceries at Wal-Mart. In a worst-case scenario – if you are kidnapped in a foreign country, for example – it could save your life.

Microchip implants like the ones pet owners use to track their dogs and cats could become commonplace in humans in the next decade. Experts are divided on whether they’re appropriate for people, but the implants could offer several advantages. For soldiers and journalists in war zones, an implant could be the difference between life and death. A tracker could also help law enforcement quickly locate a kidnapped child.

“In the long run, chip implants could make it less intrusive than some emerging ID systems which rely on physical biometrics (like your fingerprints or unique eye pattern),” says Alex Soojung-Kim Pang, author of the book “Distraction Addiction” and visiting scholar at Stanford's University’s Peace Innovation Lab.

“This should be a matter of individual choice, but fighting crime should be much easier using chips,” adds sci-fi author Larry Niven, who predicted chip implants in the ’70s. Niven said he supports chip implantation for security reasons, provided it is an opt-in measure.

Ramez Naam, who led the early development of Microsoft software projects and is now a popular speaker and author, said he envisions using chip implantation to help monitor the location of people with Alzheimer's disease.

They could be used to track the activities of felons who have been released from prison.

Chips are being used today to manage farm animals. Farmers can track sheep, pigs and horses as they move through a gate, weigh them instantly and make sure they are eating properly.

“Those same chips have found their way into RFID devices to activate the gas pump from a key ring and for anti-theft devices in cars,” said Stu Lipoff, an electrical engineer and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers spokesman.

“There have been people who volunteered to use them for opening the door of an apartment as a personalized ID using your arm. It could be used to track criminals targeted for patrol who might wander into a restricted area.”

Possible uses in the future

Implants are normally useful only at short ranges – as you walk through a portal or close to a transponder. So using chip implants to track people would require an infrastructure of transponders scattered around a city that read their identity in public buildings and street corners, Lipoff said.

But consider the possibilities: People could unlock their homes or cars, gain access to a building, pass through an airport and even unlock their laptops without using a phone or watch. A pin code could be used to activate the chip – or to deactivate it to maintain privacy.

They are easy to install and remove, and, because they are implanted under the skin, they are unobtrusive. The chips, which could be the size of a thumbnail, could be injected into an arm or a hand.

If children were chipped, teachers could take attendance in the classroom. Lipoff said that GPS would not work because skin would block the signal, although new Near Field Communication chips like those in current smartphones could work because of their low-power requirement. However, no-one has yet tried to implant NFC chips.

Police could track cars and read data without needing to scan license plates. At a hospital, administrators could locate a doctor without having to rely on a pager. And if you walked into a donut shop, the owner could read your taste preferences (glazed or not glazed) without needing a loyalty card.

But is it ethical?

Like any tech advancement, there are downsides. Concerns about the wrong people accessing personal information and tracking you via the chips have swirled since the FDA approved the first implantable microchip in 2004.

Naam and Pang both cited potential abuses, from hacking into the infrastructure and stealing your identity to invading your privacy and knowing your driving habits. There are questions about how long a felon would have to use a tracking implant. And, an implant, which has to be small and not use battery power -- might not be as secure as a heavily encrypted smartphone.

Troy Dunn, who attempts to locate missing persons on his TNT show “APB with Troy Dunn,” said a chip implant would make his job easier, but he is strongly against the practice for most people. “I only support GPS chip monitoring for convicted felons while in prison and on parole; for sex offenders forever; and for children if parents opt in,” he says. “I am adamantly against the chipping of anyone else.”

Using chip implants to locate abducted children could actually have the opposite effect. Pang says a microchip would make a missing person easier to rescue, but “Kidnappers want ransoms, not dead bodies. The most dangerous time for victims is during rescue attempts or when the kidnappers think the police are closing in.”

And beyond the obvious privacy issues, there’s something strange about injecting a chip in your body, Lipoff says. Yet pacemakers and other embedded devices are commonly used today. “People might find it a bit unsavory, but if it is not used to track you, and apart from the privacy issues, there are many interesting applications,” he says.

At least it’s better than having a barcode stitched onto our foreheads.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/08/...n-your-future/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Maybe at gun point.

I would only microchip Suzanimal if I was worried she'd get away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Oh now....That strugglin' is just an act....

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Oh hell no, ain't nobody gonna microchip me like a damn dog. I'm not that kind of bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Oh now....That strugglin' is just an act....
    Well it's not any fun if you ya just roll over and lay there.

Aint gonna happen.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Binary 1010011010

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Maybe at gun point.
    No. If one ever puts me at gunpoint then they are an aggressor. I will not even allow myself to be put in cuffs. I know what can happen once this happens.

Why not, if theye can strap you down and take your blood, theye can strap you down and inject a chip...

Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why not, if theye can strap you down and take your blood, theye can strap you down and inject a chip...

Freedom.

And I can dig that sucker out with a long sharp instrument

Can't wait, it is such a drag typing, and clicking the mouse. It'd be so much better just to think it.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    Can't wait, it is such a drag typing, and clicking the mouse. It'd be so much better just to think it.
    Oh geez, my real thoughts would be all jumbled into what I'm trying to type.

And don't even think about drinking and posting, good grief this place would be a hot mess.

Psychiatrists have been implanting things into people's brains involuntarily for a long time.

You just don't hear about it because as only God knows why, psychiatry has all the power to subvert human rights and of course due process.

They strap people down in HOSPITALS all the time and inject $#@! into them that shuts down the brain.

This $#@! is already happening on a MASSIVE scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    And I can dig that sucker out with a long sharp instrument
    It will have long tentacles that stretch thur out your whole body

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Oh geez, my real thoughts would be all jumbled into what I'm trying to type.

And don't even think about drinking and posting, good grief this place would be a hot mess.
    Too late.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I always wonder who did it first - who are those unsung heroes and villains. Well folks let introduce you to Ben Slater, he implanted himself with a microchip.

from the comments:
    mad0622, Dallas, United States, 11 minutes ago

No doubt, he's the first to go when TSHTF....

A Brisbane man is living the life of the future after having a microchip implanted under his skin so he can control electronic devices with just a wave of a hand.

Ben Slater had a radio-frequency identification microchip - which has similar measurements to a grain of rice - injected into his left hand through a syringe two weeks ago at a Melbourne tattoo parlour.

The advertising director's move comes as technology enthusiasts eagerly await the unveiling of the iPhone 6 in two days time.

Mr Slater said the procedure to implant the microchip was painful, but over quickly.

'I just needed to be really careful when it was healing over the course of the two weeks later so that I didn't move it - otherwise it could have travelled in my hand,' he said.

The microchip implant may still be new to Australian shores, but it has become a growing trend in the United States after it was introduced in 2004 when the nation's Food and Drug Administration gave the green light for its use to carry information about people's medical conditions, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The iPhone 6 is expected to be the largest phone Apple has produced, with a 5.5-inch screen.

It is believed the handset is so large that it will come with a special 'one-handed' mode to make it easier for people to use it.

Anticipation over the phone is so high that people in the U.S. started lining up outside Apple stores two weeks ago to be one of the first to get a slice of the action.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3Cg4Om1JK
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 09-07-2014 at 06:07 PM.

'I'm among the first Swedes with a microchip'
    Emilott Lantz, 25, from Umeå in northern Sweden, got a microchip inserted into her hand last week.

She became a guinea pig during Sime 2014 in Stockholm – a conference about digitalism, the internet, and the future. In line with the goals of the event, participants were offered to get a microchip fitted for free – an opportunity Lantz jumped at.

“I don’t feel as though this is the future – this is the present. To me, it’s weird that we haven’t seen this sooner,” she tells The Local.

There is evidence that the number of chip-wearers in Sweden is growing rapidly.

"This has very much been an underground phenomenon up until now, but there are perhaps a 100 people with the chip in Sweden," says Hannes Sjöblad from the Swedish biohackers group BioNyfiken.

In the last month alone 50 people from the group underwent the procedure.

The technology has previously been used for key tags or chips in our pets’ necks to let them through cat flaps. What is relatively new is inserting the chip in human hands.

The idea is that instead of carrying keys or remembering pins or passwords for our phones or doors, people fitted with microchips can use them to unlock rooms or lockers, by placing their hand against a machine that reads the information stored in the chip.

It was the appeal of minimizing the number of keys she needed to carry around that was the deciding factor for Lantz.

But her decision to go through with the procedure has brought mixed reactions from her friends and family, some saying she’s been foolish while others argue it’s a cool idea.

“The technology isn’t new but the subject becomes sensitive just because it’s in the human body,” she says.

The chip, which is the size of a grain of rice, has been designed to stay in Lantz’s hand for the rest of her life.

“I’m not surprised that people think it’s a big deal – it’s not that common yet, but I think it will be. We’re already modifying our bodies, why should this be different?”

Lantz first came in contact with the idea while attending the conference Geek Girl Meetups last year, where she heard speaker Carin Ism talk about transhumanism.

Transhumanism is a movement that explores science and technology innovations and their relationship to humanity. Its goal is to challenge humanity by using emerging technologies that enable humans to go beyond their current limitations.

“I’m super stoked to have had this done – I can’t wait for the property agent to get back to me about letting me into the system so that I can use my chip instead of my keys to get into the office,” says Lantz.

BioNyfiken's Hannes Sjöblad says it makes sense that Sweden is starting to embrace the technology.

"There's a reason that this is happening in Sweden first and not anywhere else. Swedes have a proven track record of being very early adapters of new technologies and the current mood is very conductive to this type of experimenting," he says.

Lantz adds: “besides having a chip in my hand, I’m a pretty normal person."

http://www.thelocal.se/20141118/swed...chip-into-body

Oh that's an easy one.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Freedom.
    Good $#@!ing luck. They are going to need it. I have a bayonet and I know how to use it.

“I’m super stoked to have had this done – I can’t wait for the property agent to get back to me about letting me into the system so that I can use my chip instead of my keys to get into the office,” says Lantz.

http://www.thelocal.se/20141118/swed...chip-into-body
    This reminds me of the kid who couldn't find his way home because his iphone battery died. He never learned a sense of direction. Couldn't remember how he got from point A to point B in the first place because he was trained to disengage from his natural ability to function. Seems like incompetence and laziness and just reckless consumerism is what fuels introduction of some of these applications.

Th body itself is just a bunch of "circuits" and so it is perceivable that a physical chip itself is only an introductory application. I had a transhumanism thread around here some place but seem to have neglected it. That's a billions of dollars per year industry and goes almost completely unnoticed or scrutinized in any practical way.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 12-03-2014 at 01:27 AM.

It warms my heart a bit to know there's comedians like this out there. Bill Hicks would be pleased.

You didn't let me down.

I keep clicking on your searches hoping to find another one where the thread being discussed shows up in the search.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yay! I'm the first result on this search.

https://www.google.com/search?source...s%20microchips
    The Ron Paul sites even beat out Stormfront. Woo hoo!
    "The Patriarch"

I guess it's racist not to want to be micro-chipped.
    "The Patriarch"

You didn't let me down.

I keep clicking on your searches hoping to find another one where the thread being discussed shows up in the search.
    It'll happen, it sometimes just takes Google awhile to catch up. Maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I guess it's racist not to want to be micro-chipped.
    Yes, it is bigoted to not want to get chipped, in the same way southern redneck Christians are bigoted you see. You aren't one of those dirty Christers are you? Well then take the chip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast