Thread: I was taking pictures of my daughters. A stranger thought I was exploiting them.

I was taking pictures of my daughters. A stranger thought I was exploiting them.

This piece got me thinking about how much my perception about random everyday things has changed since 9/11. I don't really watch the news unless it's a clip posted along with a story and I'll admit, I've been effected by the propaganda. I remember a time (before 9/11) when I saw an abandoned/lost backpack on MARTA and the only thought that occurred to me was, oh no, someone lost their backpack - should I take it to lost and found or just leave it there, maybe they'll come back. When I see something like that now it makes me a little uneasy and I have to remind myself that's not who I am and I get a little pissed off at myself for feeling that way. I'm a happy, optimistic, trusting (maybe too trusting) person and I just hate the way this crap has changed me - and I don't even pay attention to it most of the time.

A lot of people watch the newz everyday, sometimes twice a day, is it any wonder that neighbors and even family members are snitching on each other? I just think it's sad.

What say you RPF, do you ever feel those nagging thoughts? Do you feel guilty for letting them creep into your mind? I know I sure do.

I think this guy poses some interesting questions...

Homeland Security instructs Americans: “If you see something, say something.” But at what point do our instincts compel us to act? And when does our fear of getting involved stop us? What causes someone to perceive one thing when an entirely different thing is happening?"

I was taking pictures of my daughters. A stranger thought I was exploiting them.

After my family arrives on the Cape May ferry for our annual vacation to the Jersey Shore, I take pictures of our two daughters on the ferry’s deck as we leave the harbor. I’ve been doing this since they were 3 and 4 years old. They are now 16 and 17. Each photo chronicles one year in the life of our family and our daughters’ growth into the beautiful young women they have become. Getting just the right exposure and interaction between the two has never been easy. They’ve gone from squirming toddlers to ambivalent teens who barely put up with their dad’s ongoing photography project.

But this year, everything was perfect. It has been an extraordinary summer in the Mid-Atlantic: mild heat with low humidity. On that first day of vacation, the sea was calm and the sky a brilliant blue. As I focused on the image in my camera’s viewfinder, the girls stood in their usual spot against the railing at the back of the boat. I was looking for just the right pose — often waiting for that perfect smile or pausing as they fixed their hair after a strong ocean breeze. I was trying to get just the right exposure and flash combination to bring out their faces in the harsh midday sun.

Totally engaged with the scene in front of me, I jumped when a man came up beside me and said to my daughters: “I would be remiss if I didn’t ask if you were okay.”

At first none of us understood what he was talking about. His polite tone and tourist attire of shorts, polo shirt and baseball cap threw us off. It took me a moment to figure out what he meant, but then it hit me: He thought I might be exploiting the girls, taking questionable photos for one of those “Exotic Beauties Want to Meet You!” Web sites or something just as unseemly. When I explained to my daughters what he was talking about, they were understandably confused. I told the man I was their father. He quickly apologized and turned away. But that perfect moment was ruined, and our annual photo shoot was over. (Only after we arrived at our rented condo did I find out I had gotten a great shot.)

As I was telling my wife what had happened, I saw the man again, scanning the horizon with his binoculars. The more I thought about what he had said, the more upset I became. My wife and I, both white, adopted our two daughters in China when they were infants. Over the years, as a transracial family, we have often gotten strange looks and intrusive questions from strangers, but nothing like this. Yet part of me understood what he was seeing: Here was this middle-aged white guy taking lots of pictures of two beautiful, young Asian women.

Would this man have approached us, I wondered, if I had been Asian, like my children, or if my daughters had been white? No, I didn’t think so. I knew I’d regret not going back to speak to him about what had happened. My wife warned me I might be asking for trouble, but I reassured her that I would be fine.

I walked outside to where he was standing and calmly said: “Excuse me, sir, but you just embarrassed me in front of my children and strangers. And what you said was racist.”

The man didn’t seem at all fazed. He replied: “I work for the Department of Homeland Security. And let me give you some advice: You were standing there taking photos of them hugging for 15 minutes.”

I see. So we didn’t fit the mold of what he considered a typical American family, and he thought my picture-taking was excessive, possibly depraved. How long should family snapshots take? He thought he was qualified to judge. I told him I was a professional photographer and take lots of photos.

“My wife’s a photographer,” he said. “I understand.”

“Then you should have known better,” I replied.

He agreed to consider everything I had said. But he didn’t sound very sincere. When I had questions about his observations, he deflected them, hoping to manage my reaction with simple apologies, except they weren’t simple at all: He apologized; he criticized; and he apologized again.

There was nothing more I could say, nor did I need to hear any more explanations from him. I thought about asking for his business card or his name, but instead I just walked away, feeling exposed.

I had to consider my daughters’ feelings as well as my own. My 17-year-old, usually the stoic one, told me she almost cried when she understood what he was asking. And all the while I kept wondering: Had he overreached when he approached us, or was he just being a good citizen, looking out for the welfare of two young women? Perhaps he was doing what his professional training had taught him to do: Look for things that seem out of place, and act on those observations. But what is normal and what is not?

Even if he thought something inappropriate was taking place, he certainly could have approached us more gently: “What a beautiful family you have there,” he might have said to me. If the girls had answered, “We’re not his family” or had even looked distressed by his statement, then he might have had cause to question them. Instead, his words were so intrusive, controlling and damaging. I would be remiss if I didn’t question them.

A week later, on the ferry ride home, as my oldest and I were walking on deck, I suggested that we imagine the other passengers through this man’s eyes. She grimaced but agreed. It was so easy to project suspicious stories onto the white woman trying to grab a black child — instead of seeing a mother running after her son. Or to suppose that an old man was taking inappropriate photos of a young girl — instead of seeing a grandfather capturing a special moment with his granddaughter. We talked about this as we walked around the deck.

The world and its suspicions had intruded on our family’s vacation as we crossed Delaware Bay. Racial profiling became personal that day. And while our experience was minimal compared with the constant profiling experienced by others, it left a repugnant taste in my mouth.

Homeland Security instructs Americans: “If you see something, say something.” But at what point do our instincts compel us to act? And when does our fear of getting involved stop us? What causes someone to perceive one thing when an entirely different thing is happening?

I’ve been thinking about this for weeks and have no clear answers. And that’s what disturbs me the most.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...50c_story.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What we perceive is largely a product of our own thoughts and experiences. Someone who's been abused is more likely to think a verbal argument is just a coverup for something worse, for instance. Most people used to be able to use their internal filters to realize they should take a second look and try to be objective.

What is disturbing here is that this other man's life is so colored by all the boogity boogity evil things he's supposed to think are out there everywhere, that he sees sickness in everything. God help the author if he'd been a single dad and had to help a daughter to a family restroom. The girls were hugging. This guy sees young Asian girls hugging at the behest of someone taking photos of them and thinks "sexual exploitation." That seems more an issue of the observer than the father.

As for whether my perception has changed, no. There's always been the potential for something to be more than it appears. That backpack could be a bomb! Or it could be drugs, it could be left behind by accident, it could belong to a homeless guy who's a few steps away relieving himself, it could be just about anything really. I would not generally pick it up unless I had a chance of catching up to the person I knew had left it. I might point it out to a security guard if it were in a large business, but only because they'd be better equipped to figure out whose it was and keep it at a centralized lost & found. If it were in my building, I would ask around to see if it was anyone's (we do not have that many workers in-house but we have a lot of field staff) and then it'd reside right at the front desk after a quick inspection to see whether there were any perishables inside. The world has always been full of threats, it's just that we're being told more often lately what we should be scared of and how scared we should be.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I never "watch" the newz, I'll read several different outlets with the greatest amount of skepticism...

Quite frankly I find it terrifying that Americans are so easily duped by the Tee-Vee...By and large Boobus ingests what they spew as gospel.

Edward Bernays' would be so proud.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

To the Government we are all criminals,, just itching to act..

The fear mongering Media has folks looking for a bugger behind every bush..

And when there is some real crime,, rather than act,, we are taught to "wait for the Professionals". and lawyers have taught us to not get involved.

the world is badly bent.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 08-30-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Once again, I'll drop this off right here.

Contrary to popular belief, the Gestapo was not the all-pervasive, omnipotent agency in German society. In Germany proper, many towns and cities had fewer than 50 official Gestapo personnel. For example, in 1939 Stettin and Frankfurt am Main only had a total of 41 Gestapo men combined. In Düsseldorf, the local Gestapo office of only 281 men were responsible for the entire Lower Rhine region, which comprised 4 million people. "V-men", as undercover Gestapo agents were known, were used to infiltrate Social Democratic and Communist opposition groups, but this was more the exception, not the rule. The Gestapo office in Saarbrücken had 50 full-term informers in 1939. The District Office in Nuremberg, which had the responsibility for all of northern Bavaria, employed a total of 80–100 full-term informers between 1943 and 1945. The majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who chose to denounce other people to the Gestapo.

According to Canadian historian Robert Gellately's analysis of the local offices established, the Gestapo was—for the most part—made up of bureaucrats and clerical workers who depended upon denunciations by citizens for their information. Gellately argued that it was because of the widespread willingness of Germans to inform on each other to the Gestapo that Germany between 1933 and 1945 was a prime example of panopticism. The Gestapo—at times—was overwhelmed with denunciations and most of its time was spent sorting out the credible from the less credible denunciations. Many of the local offices were understaffed and overworked, struggling with the paper load caused by so many denunciations. Gellately has also suggested that the Gestapo was "a reactive organization" "...which was constructed within German society and whose functioning was structurally dependent on the continuing co-operation of German citizens".

After 1939, when many Gestapo personnel were called up for war-related work such as service with the Einsatzgruppen, the level of overwork and understaffing at the local offices increased. For information about what was happening in German society, the Gestapo continued to be mostly dependent upon denunciations. 80% of all Gestapo investigations were started in response to information provided by denunciations by ordinary Germans; while 10% were started in response to information provided by other branches of the German government and another 10% started in response to information that the Gestapo itself unearthed. The information supplied by denunciations, often led the Gestapo in determining whom was arrested.

I would suggest to Mr. Gates that he cease looking at the symptom of the sickness: being accosted by a government agent for taking pictures of his daughters, and instead look at the disease:

Why was a plainclothes government agent wandering around spying on people in the first place?

Then you'll start to find the answers.

Yes, yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    To the Government we are all criminals,, just itching to act..

The fear mongering Media has folks looking for a bugger behind every bush..

And when there is some real crime,, rather than act,, we are taught to "wait for the Professionals". and lawyers have taught us to not get involved.

the world is badly bent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ugh, the comments...

“If you see something, say something.”
    Every time I see a Homeland Security patrol I say something! Who can work for them with a good conscience?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Every time I see a Homeland Security patrol I say something! Who can work for them with a good conscience?

In my experience, most government agents lack a conscience entirely. Along with a sense of humor, or pretty much any other humanizing qualities.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ugh, the comments...

I'm not even going to look.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    In my experience, most government agents lack a conscience entirely. Along with a sense of humor, or pretty much any other humanizing qualities.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SQJRMQORMQORSQTRJKTR20CR0QYRE0YRSQORU03Q80K00QJR0QUR0QYRZQURG0BRHQFR60L0M0JQ.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	3009

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SQJRMQORMQORSQTRJKTR20CR0QYRE0YRSQORU03Q80K00QJR0QUR0QYRZQURG0BRHQFR60L0M0JQ.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	3009
    Green blood?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Green blood?
    Nah, government employees try to absorb humanity by sucking the blood out of working men....

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ugh, the comments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm not even going to look.
    Me neither. There's only so much of this sort of stuff that I can handle at any given time before my head expolodes....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ha. The minute duels were outlawed things went to $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    As for whether my perception has changed, no. There's always been the potential for something to be more than it appears. That backpack could be a bomb! Or it could be drugs, it could be left behind by accident, it could belong to a homeless guy who's a few steps away relieving himself, it could be just about anything really. I would not generally pick it up unless I had a chance of catching up to the person I knew had left it. I might point it out to a security guard if it were in a large business, but only because they'd be better equipped to figure out whose it was and keep it at a centralized lost & found. If it were in my building, I would ask around to see if it was anyone's (we do not have that many workers in-house but we have a lot of field staff) and then it'd reside right at the front desk after a quick inspection to see whether there were any perishables inside. The world has always been full of threats, it's just that we're being told more often lately what we should be scared of and how scared we should be.
    and then SWAT shows up and evacuates the area, killing a guys seeing eye dog in the process, followed by the bomb squad who drag it outside by a rope only to shred it with a robot mounted 12 gauge... when the owner, a college coed returns to fetch her backpack she freaks - mmy books, my term paper - I am soooo screwed! She is promptly detained for questioning with pending charges of simulating a terrorist attack.

-t

Last edited by presence; 08-30-2014 at 08:06 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

That's a keeper presence.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    and then SWAT shows up and evacuates the area, killing a guys seeing eye dog in the process, followed by the bomb squad who drag it outside by a rope only to shred it with a robot mounted 12 gauge... when the owner, a college coed returns to fetch her backpack she freaks - mmy books, my term paper - I am soooo screwed! She is promptly detained for questioning with pending charges of simulating a terrorist attack.

-t
    Doesn't really happen here, but better the backpack get SWATed somewhere that trigger happy than me getting the same treatment for picking up said backpack.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

A more accurate headline:

I was taking pictures of my daughters. A stranger cop thought I was exploiting them.

I feel exploited if I have to go to the airport .

What's wrong with exploiting your kids?

I assume they get more than their fair share of your time, energy, and money. Make them mow your lawn and don't for a second feel guilty about it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.